Begin HOU with SOU char?

ikke

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004

Hi there

I just finished SOU and started HOU. I read somewhere that although you
begin with no stuff at all, you find your 'old' SOU stuff back later if you
continue with your char from that expansion. That cwl, but I have a problem:
My monk was level 13 when I finished SOU, so it doesn't get the upgrade to
level 15. Of course I can 'rebuild' my monk from level 1 onward, but then
I'll lose my (great) equipment....

Any ideas?

ikke wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I just finished SOU and started HOU. I read somewhere that although you
> begin with no stuff at all, you find your 'old' SOU stuff back later if you
> continue with your char from that expansion. That cwl, but I have a problem:
> My monk was level 13 when I finished SOU, so it doesn't get the upgrade to
> level 15. Of course I can 'rebuild' my monk from level 1 onward, but then
> I'll lose my (great) equipment....
>
> Any ideas?

Just download one of the character leveler modules and level up the
extra two levels. That's exactly what I did, because I was at 13 but I
wanted to start HotU at 15. You won't lose anything that way, and you
don't need to waste time playing through a mod to get the extra levels.

ikke wrote:
> Now I can play with my now
> level 15 monk in HOU without having to spend any time on those other
> modules. (for roleplaying purposes, I just figure that she gained the
extra
> two level during her adventures in the shadow realm, makes sense ;-p)

That's what those two "bridge" modules are for, roleplaying purposes!
:)

A while ago, before SoU came out, they had a contest for module
builders to explain what happened in the Shadow Realm.

Those two mods explained how you picked up the Relic of the Reaper
(that you carry with you throughout HotU) and how you escaped the
Shadow Realm (and got the two or more needed levels along the way).
IIRC, the module making rules were something like: had to occur in the
Shadow Realm, advance 2-3 levels, and you had to get the Relic and
escape.

BTW, I wouldn't worry about getting your "good" gear back in HotU.
You'll find lots better and also have the chance to improve some stuff,
too (though the Bags of Holding are problematic).

And when you finish HotU, I heartily recommend the winner of the
post-HotU module contest: Sands of Fate I - Shadows over Heliopolis.
It's a fun, epic romp despite the hard-to-find plot-required secret
doors. Giant burrowing sandworms, anyone?

ikke

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> schreef in bericht
> ikke wrote:
>> Hi there
>>
>> I just finished SOU and started HOU. I read somewhere that although you
>> begin with no stuff at all, you find your 'old' SOU stuff back later if
>> you continue with your char from that expansion. That cwl, but I have a
>> problem: My monk was level 13 when I finished SOU, so it doesn't get the
>> upgrade to level 15. Of course I can 'rebuild' my monk from level 1
>> onward, but then I'll lose my (great) equipment....
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Just download one of the character leveler modules and level up the extra
> two levels. That's exactly what I did, because I was at 13 but I wanted to
> start HotU at 15. You won't lose anything that way, and you don't need to
> waste time playing through a mod to get the extra levels.

That sounds like an good idea (I'm not really interested in those other
modules... yet) Where can I get one of those character leveler modules?

ikke

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2004

Nevermind I found it ;-p

BTW, these char leveler modules are very handy! Now I can play with my now
level 15 monk in HOU without having to spend any time on those other
modules. (for roleplaying purposes, I just figure that she gained the extra
two level during her adventures in the shadow realm, makes sense ;-p)

Thx everyone!

"ikke" <iemand@ergens.nl> schreef in bericht

> "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> ikke wrote:
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> I just finished SOU and started HOU. I read somewhere that although you
>>> begin with no stuff at all, you find your 'old' SOU stuff back later if
>>> you continue with your char from that expansion. That cwl, but I have a
>>> problem: My monk was level 13 when I finished SOU, so it doesn't get the
>>> upgrade to level 15. Of course I can 'rebuild' my monk from level 1
>>> onward, but then I'll lose my (great) equipment....
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Just download one of the character leveler modules and level up the extra
>> two levels. That's exactly what I did, because I was at 13 but I wanted
>> to start HotU at 15. You won't lose anything that way, and you don't need
>> to waste time playing through a mod to get the extra levels.
>
> That sounds like an good idea (I'm not really interested in those other
> modules... yet) Where can I get one of those character leveler modules?

I'm doing that mod now - I thought the giant sand beetle most impressive
though some of the fights are hard work.

Best wishes
Maxon

ikke wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I just finished SOU and started HOU. I read somewhere that although you
> begin with no stuff at all, you find your 'old' SOU stuff back later if you
> continue with your char from that expansion. That cwl, but I have a problem:
> My monk was level 13 when I finished SOU, so it doesn't get the upgrade to
> level 15. Of course I can 'rebuild' my monk from level 1 onward, but then
> I'll lose my (great) equipment....
>
> Any ideas?

download and play one of the bridging modules "The Nether Scrolls" or
"Shadohaunt".

Kharsis

My recommendation would be Shadowhaunt - Nether Scrolls was buggy on my
machine and some of the scripts were unfinished - it was also had far too
much fighting for my taste but that's a personal preference. And anyway,
there's some great equipment to get from Shadowhaunt (Staff of the Depths
was a particular favourite).

Best wishes
Maxon

ikke wrote:
> Nevermind I found it ;-p

Yeah, they are great, especially for testing certain builds. I started
with the Novice to Epic Character Builder, but I think I like Halls of
Advanced Training better, for it's flexibility in buying certain groups
of equipment, etc. Many more options in it.

But anyway, I figure if you need an RP reason for leveling, then it
stands to reason that your time spent in the planes would increase you
by at least 2 levels. Aside from that, it's good to start with level 15
so you can take advantage of more of the epic stuff later. The game
isn't too easy that way, either.

John Salerno wrote:
> But anyway, I figure if you need an RP reason for leveling, then it
> stands to reason that your time spent in the planes would increase
you
> by at least 2 levels.

Speaking of role-playing, one of the bridge modules (can't remember
which one) had an interesting thing at the end - called the "Hall of
Shadows" (or "Bridge of Shadows, or somesuch.)

Basically, in the module, when you exit the Shadow Realm, you have the
option of being "reborn" - if you choose this option, you are taken
back to level 1 in your original class and you can level up to your
current level. This gives you an in-game method to choose new skills,
feats or classes (but not buy/sell equipment) - e.g., if you thought
that "Parry" would be real useful when you first started. I thought
that was rather clever.

alordofchaos@yahoo.com looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>John Salerno wrote:
>> But anyway, I figure if you need an RP reason for leveling, then it
>> stands to reason that your time spent in the planes would increase
>you
>> by at least 2 levels.
>
>Speaking of role-playing, one of the bridge modules (can't remember
>which one) had an interesting thing at the end - called the "Hall of
>Shadows" (or "Bridge of Shadows, or somesuch.)

That's the Never Scrolls.

>Basically, in the module, when you exit the Shadow Realm, you have the
>option of being "reborn" - if you choose this option, you are taken
>back to level 1 in your original class and you can level up to your
>current level. This gives you an in-game method to choose new skills,
>feats or classes (but not buy/sell equipment) - e.g., if you thought
>that "Parry" would be real useful when you first started. I thought
>that was rather clever.

It was indeed, since some skills just don't pan out very well the first
time you use them. IE circle kick - one free attack per round doesn't
make up for it continuously shifting your target to unwounded critters.
Parry didn't seem to do much either when I tried it on a paladin.

That's one of my beefs with the devs of NWN+expansions. They write
these damn manuals, but they leave out information so the only way to
find out that a skill/feat is a waste of time (or doesn't do what the
manual seems to say it does) is to take it and try to use it.

What's the point of a manual that doesn't give the information needed to
make informed choices?

Is it really so hard to say "Circle kick lets you make an attack on
another creature near you and changes your target focus to that creature
so that all subsequent attacks will be directed at it."

Or note that Whirlwind isn't an automatic feat but one you have to
activate.

I'm sure we could make quite a list of half-described
feats/skills/spells.

Xocyll