Can't get a login screen

Andy

A box on my domain suddenly can't get a login screen. It
loads Windows just fine, but hangs before displaying the
login prompt. This happens in safe mode as well. Any ideas?

How to troubleshoot startup problems in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315396&Product=win2000

"Andy" <andyizheer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> A box on my domain suddenly can't get a login screen. It
> loads Windows just fine, but hangs before displaying the
> login prompt. This happens in safe mode as well. Any ideas?

Try booting into last know good configuration and if that does not help an in place
upgrade install is probably your best bet to fix it which will require a reinstall of
service pack first and then all critical updates, but should hopefully preserve data
and applications. You might try to access Event Viewer remotely to see what it
reports, but usually if it can not get to the logon screen that will not work. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175