ATI X800GTO 256MB AGP FROM SAPPHIRE OR OEM ???

apostok

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Hello everybody i need your "lights" i am going to buy an ati x800 gto 256mb agp,I have found a pretty good price with an OEM manufacturer (it doesn't say name) and one from sapphire. Which one you think it's best, does it worth a few bucks more for the sapphire? overclocking is of course a must for me...

Currently running on a athlon 2800xp 1g ram 400 asus A7N8X-X ati radeon 9800 pro 128 mb

THNKS in advance....

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hi There from what i have read on forums , i would advice you to buy the sapphire card for the following reasons :

1 You want to overclock
2 You might get a card with not that high components like ram chips and fan

i hope i was of some help

good luck :D

apostok

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
You 're right about that, it's just that sometimes you can find better overclockable cards in oem versions and also i don't know if sapphire is a quality brand like msi for example.. anyway i guess it's all about the money.. thnks..

Scougs

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
About a year ago I bought a Sapphire X800GTO AGP from Newegg. I'm still using it in my 3 year old P4 system (2.8C overclocked to 3.5GHz 8) ). To my knowledge, Sapphire AGP GTOs come with two different boards. Mine has a very long red circuit board. I don't know as much about the typical hardware on the blue board version.

From my experience with my card, as well as helping a few others with the same card, the red ones won't overclock terribly well on the core but the memory does okay. The reason for the low overclocking GPU is that the card uses the R430 core, which was used in the X800XL, and is known to limit around 440MHz due to limitations in the manufacturing process. However, to somewhat compensate for the low overclocking headroom, many of the cards are unlockable from 12 to 16 pipelines. In helping guys, I never ran across one that would not unlock and I helped several.

My card is currently running 444MHz core and 528MHz memory (DDR-1056) with 16 active pixel pipelines. I have it set to underclock to save power and noise when in 2D.