File Permissions solution

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hello,

I have a .net file that is disableing a app from running

on my workstations because of it's ntfs permissions (app

runs fine if modify permission is added to domain users on

the .net file). I am running a w2k domain and am looking

for an alternate solution rather than changeing the

permissions locally on every workstation.

Any suggestions?

If the file is in the same place on every computer, then use Group Policy/computer
configuration/Windows settings/security settings/file system to set the permissions.
Right click and select add file. Browse to the file, select edit permissions and then
replace existing permissions. When done run secedit /refreshpolicy machine_policy
/enforce on the domain controller and the changes should reflect in the computers
under the scope on influence of that GPO at the next scheduled policy refresh or do
it manually as you did for the domain controller or reboot. Note that if you ever
delete that entry or GPO, the file permissions will not change. --- Steve

"larry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a .net file that is disableing a app from running
>
> on my workstations because of it's ntfs permissions (app
>
> runs fine if modify permission is added to domain users on
>
> the .net file). I am running a w2k domain and am looking
>
> for an alternate solution rather than changeing the
>
> permissions locally on every workstation.
>
> Any suggestions?

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You are the man Steve. Can you recommend a good website
that would have some more info on GPOs.

Sure. See the links below. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/
en-us/distsys/part4/dsgch22.mspx