Begging for help!!!

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
I can't get back to this issue till thursday, but I have a netgear wireless router that i need to hook up at work. But.. unfortunately i cannot assign a static ip address and so on to it without a DHCP access to the internet..

At work obviously we have a T1 connection.. does anyone know how to enter the router to enter the settings... by the way netgear has the worst customer support i have ever dealt with. I don't recommend this product one bit and i haven't even used it.

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Well if nothing has been changed, look on the bottom tag. If gives you the IP, User & PW.

You have to get to a Levej 2 or 3 tech before you find any one knowledgeable.

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
don't take this the wrong way but none of that made much sense.

posting the model number might have been helpful for a start.

the owners manual for your router should tell you the default IP address of the router

generally as i recall it is 192.168.0.1 for netgear routers

out of the box before anything has been changed it will likely come w/ the DHCP server on so it should give your computer an appropriate local IP.

if you absolutely cant get a DHCP address or change the ip address manually to something appropriate for your computer your trying to access the router from.... well then depending on the model some netgear routers have serial port consol admin options... my RT314 for example I can access via hypertermainal w/ a null modem cable.

I will agree that their customer service is somewhat useless but not in my experience as useless as linksys for example.

but seriously read the manual....

if that doesn't help clarify your issues and post the model number.

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Yea sorry about that.. i was in a rush. At my work *where this netgear router is* we have a cisco network where we assign static ip addresses to each computer to access the internet.

The little guide that this wireless router comes with as well as the cd... it says the only way to access its settings on the router is through a wepage that obviously i can't access because the router is set up for a DHCP style connection... cannot access the internet on our server.

But i think i just misunderstood the guide and i think one of the random IP addresses are internal and they do not need access to the internet. At least thats what i hope...

Iceblue

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The little guide that this wireless router comes with as well as the cd... it says the only way to access its settings on the router is through a wepage that obviously i can't access because the router is set up for a DHCP style connection... cannot access the internet on our server.

But i think i just misunderstood the guide and i think one of the random IP addresses are internal and they do not need access to the internet. At least thats what i hope...
That's correct. You are accessing the admin page of the router with your web browser, but you are not accessing the internet. The router is the server providing the HTML page to your browser.