Sign in with
Your question

GTS or GTX?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 8, 2007 7:27:01 AM

I decided to go DX10, so my question is simple....8800 GTX or GTS, considering price/performance/todays games ratio? I already checked some benchmarks but I'd appreciate some live feedback before I put out my entirely monthly paycheck. I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit, if that matters, AMD 3800 X2 64-bit, 2 Gigs of DDR2 RAM, NForce 570/SLI MoBo, 500Wat PSU.
Thnx in advance....

More about : gts gtx

February 8, 2007 8:10:44 AM

Its not advice you want- its someone giving you a warm comfy feeling that your doing the right thing.

Pick either. They are both the best cards available on the market- you choice comes down to how much money you can afford to gamble.

And yes, I did say gamble. So close to the R600 release & NVidia mid range offerings, you are paying a premium becuase the 8800 has no competition. That will change in the next 4 weeks- and the price could change significantly too.
February 8, 2007 8:34:00 AM

Quote:
Its not advice you want- its someone giving you a warm comfy feeling that your doing the right thing.

This you got right....it is a steep price after all. Doubles the price I ever payed for any of my previous cards... :D 

But as far as the price thingy goes, I don't think it'll change alot. Look at the prices of 7900GTX for example. They're about the same as 6-8 months ago, although 8800's are on market for almost 2 months.
The price could only drop signifficantly when 8900's hit the market, but then everyone will want those and not "obsolete"8800's and so there goes neverending circle of comp. marketing....
Related resources
February 8, 2007 10:07:07 AM

Quote:
I decided to go DX10, so my question is simple....8800 GTX or GTS, considering price/performance/todays games ratio? I already checked some benchmarks but I'd appreciate some live feedback before I put out my entirely monthly paycheck. I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit, if that matters, AMD 3800 X2 64-bit, 2 Gigs of DDR2 RAM, NForce 570/SLI MoBo, 500Wat PSU.
Thnx in advance....

got the $$$ then go for it

get a better system to back it tho ;) 
February 8, 2007 10:29:44 AM

I read that they both offer about the same price/performanc ratio. It really just depends on how much money you want to spend. Personally I think I will go for the EVGA KO 8800GS because its overclocked an it has a better HSF.
February 8, 2007 10:40:06 AM

I decided to go with GTX...more money, but it'll last longer...Gainward Bliss is the only available, hope it'll do, Gainward used to be a GPU king...
February 8, 2007 11:05:44 AM

Has NVidia actually released functional Vista drivers?

I agree with the wait on the R600 idea too, that's what I'm doing. What if the R600 is faster than a 8800 but AMD puts it at the same price for competition? Then shame on you for rushing.
February 8, 2007 11:14:58 AM

Just give it a couple of weeks for the release of R600. When that comes out you can buy a 8800 GTX for a better price. I have purchased a new BFG 8800 GTX off new egg, with no problems. This card just rips through everything. Also make sure to check out reviews around. I read somewhere that you need some of the fastest cpu's to take advantage of the full potential of the 8800 series. I have a e6600 overclock to a 3.2 2 gig of ram, and my 3d06 score came to 11,000.
February 8, 2007 11:33:51 AM

That is a power hungry card. You will definitely want to think about upgrading your power supply or adding one for just the video card. You could be in trouble if your power supply blows.
February 8, 2007 11:54:05 AM

Get the GTS keeping everything in mind do not get the GTX you will Cry that card is going to make you cry its a lose lose situation

see this is how it works company makes a premium product , by premium it means you are never going to need it , it only satisfies one thing your EGO

R600 comes out and You will cry because you are buying the Gtx for EGO purposes all the people who bought the GTX are EGO centric , its like the same people who go and buy a Ferrari do you need it NO is it practical NO The only thing it has going for it is that it the fastest most recognised symbol of Money = Ego . Therefore GTX is no a graphics card its a statement. Nobody

in there right mind asks should i buy a Ferrari , cause people who buy ferraris dont ask they dictate

similarly people who buy a Gtx are not buying a card they are buying a statement 8)
February 8, 2007 12:01:53 PM

Hmmm....yes, the PSU is what worries me....Does GTS sucks much less elecrticity than GTX? Or are they about the same?
February 8, 2007 12:12:36 PM

Quote:
Get the GTS keeping everything in mind do not get the GTX you will Cry that card is going to make you cry its a lose lose situation

see this is how it works company makes a premium product , by premium it means you are never going to need it , it only satisfies one thing your EGO

R600 comes out and You will cry because you are buying the Gtx for EGO purposes all the people who bought the GTX are EGO centric , its like the same people who go and buy a Ferrari do you need it NO is it practical NO The only thing it has going for it is that it the fastest most recognised symbol of Money = Ego . Therefore GTX is no a graphics card its a statement. Nobody

in there right mind asks should i buy a Ferrari , cause people who buy ferraris dont ask they dictate

similarly people who buy a Gtx are not buying a card they are buying a statement 8)

What a load of rubbish!

M
February 8, 2007 12:17:28 PM

I agree. I'll need all that power sooner or later...
And I just checked on Guru3D review, they reccomend 450W for GTX and 400W for GTS. So I'm covered there I think.
February 8, 2007 12:57:36 PM

Quote:

similarly people who buy a Gtx are not buying a card they are buying a statement Cool
horstmann
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:33 am Post subject: Re: GTS or GTX?
That is a power hungry card. You will definitely want to think about upgrading your power supply or adding one for just the video card. You could be in trouble if your power supply blows.
Rall
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:14 am Post subject: Re: GTS or GTX?
Just give it a couple of weeks for the release of R600. When that comes out you can buy a 8800 GTX for a better price. I have purchased a new BFG 8800 GTX off new egg, with no problems. This card just rips through everything. Also make sure to check out reviews around. I read somewhere that you need some of the fastest cpu's to take advantage of the full potential of the 8800 series. I have a e6600 overclock to a 3.2 2 gig of ram, and my 3d06 score came to 11,000.

Comparing Video cards to cars is not really practical. A ferrari that is 10 years old still screams and turns heads regardless of its age. The 8800gtx is screaming and turning heads now, but in 2 years, it will be old news and people will be upgrading them. you don't buy an 8800gtx because it will be awesome forever, you buy one so that you can play games at full that are currently out and be able to play some games in the future at full.

When the 6800pro came out, the same arguments were being made. It is the latest and greatest and some people want the latest and greatest, whether it be for graphic design work or for uber-gaming rigs.

Will most people wait for the 8600 or r600 to come out? Yea... I am. But i dont fault those who don't want to wait.
February 8, 2007 1:06:33 PM

I never was much good in waiting games...
February 8, 2007 1:15:39 PM

Quote:
Thnx in advance....

got the $$$ then go for it

get a better system to back it tho ;) 

You mean a better CPU. Rest of the system = no bottlenecks.

Have you considered overclocking? Owning an x2 3800+ and not overclocking it is a crime against humanity.
February 8, 2007 1:27:20 PM

Quote:
I never was much good in waiting games...

Your in good company then :) 

Seriously mate, for what its worth, I have been dying to buy one of these since launch (3 month's ish?). Whether or not I should have bought one when they first came out is irrelevant- buying one now soooo close to R600 is crazy.

Personally, I think I'm going to end up buying an 8800gtx. But, I'll be a lot happier knowing;

a) How the R600 performs both in terms of performance / price performance and power consumption

b) What Nvidia's mid-range strategy is going to be (again, in terms of performance / price performance).

You saying the price wont change that much is contrary to history- the first dx10 card was always going to carry a premium; if something comes along that betters it dont be fooled into thinking that prices wont change. Markets doesnt work like that.

Equally, if ATI cant come up with something that matches the 8800 in terms of performance- they can at least beat it in price/performance. And this, again, is likely to result in a price shift from Nvidia. Remember- this isnt just waiting for any old card release- this is waiting for ATI's major DX10 release. It wouldnt be the first time they raise the bar from whats already available ;) 

PS.. Id double-check your psu. With a 8800GTX, you stretching it at the very least. Check your build!
February 8, 2007 5:09:16 PM

The important thing is not the watts but the amps on the 12 volt rail. You will need one that supplies at least 28 amps but i would recommend 30 just to be safe. I fried a power supply that was too small and lost my precious video card in the process. It depends on which brand you have. Some brands supply lots and lots of watts but relatively small amps in comparison while others can supply 30 amps and 500 watts. The number that is most important though is the amps on the 12 volt rail.

edit: I can't spell
February 8, 2007 6:19:11 PM

Go for a GTS. The money you save will enable you to spend money on other parts of your system. Or something else for that matter.

The GTS is an excellent card, as is the GTX but I just can't justify the extra $$$ for what really is a negligable difference in performance.

Also, if you're an enthusiast, you'll upgrade within the next couple of years anyway.
February 9, 2007 5:20:58 AM

Quote:
Go for a GTS. The money you save will enable you to spend money on other parts of your system. Or something else for that matter.

The GTS is an excellent card, as is the GTX but I just can't justify the extra $$$ for what really is a negligable difference in performance.

Also, if you're an enthusiast, you'll upgrade within the next couple of years anyway.

Soo true. You guys were right!
I got GTX yesterday and I'm exchanging it fot GTS today! I AM NOT HAPPY!!!
I just can't get max out of this card.... it's throwing money down the drain!
PSU IS giving me headhache, it's barely enough although NVidia claims that 450W is enough...NOT!
3dMark06 (just for the record):
1024*768; no anisotropic or antialising= 7500 3DMarks
1280*1024; 4x antialising; 16xAnisotropic= 6200 3DMarks
What's wrong with this piture?
February 9, 2007 9:56:11 PM

the things wrong with that Picture is your CPU they are giving those scores they should come up about 1000 or 2 with an E6600 at 3.0GHz
February 11, 2007 3:56:36 PM

Well, I have an 8800GTX and i can honestly say that i am pleased with the performance gain over the 7800 GT i had. I dont know about all the pricing things, if its true that the 8800 will drop dramatically after the release of the r600 then wait for that but if u just have money to spend just buy it. I would choose the GTX over the GTS, but that is just me. I bought a new video card to have the best of the best of dx10 (at the time i bought it) so i would have a somewhat high performing dx10 card whenever dx10 games are released. And especially since you already have vista just go for the GTX. But its up to you.
February 12, 2007 5:32:42 AM

I already got GTS and I'm very pleased, performance is great in newest of the games (Oblivion, NWN2, Dark Messiah)...it's much better solution for my rig.
Besides, I took BFG wich they say can be OC'd to almost GTX. We'll se...it'll do until 8950GTX GX2.... :D 
One thing I'm sure of though: no more ATI for me!
February 13, 2007 12:53:55 AM

I agree with you...no more ATI for me..but my brand loyalty is an oxymoron...I buy only nvidia cards and only AMD CPU's rofl...of course i havent read anything that says ATI will have a better performance with AMd or vice versa but its still an oxymoron.
February 13, 2007 1:21:35 AM

I would think the most important questions would be, what size monitor and what resolutions will you be playing at? If your not playing above 1280 x 1024 get the GTS. If your above that, then the GTX comes into play.
February 13, 2007 5:48:34 AM

My LCD monitor limits me to 1280x1024, wich I consider optimal quality/preformance reolution anyway....
February 13, 2007 7:01:24 AM

It keeps up with GTS just fine, although my CPU is bottlenecking me. I'm about to OC it (as soon as I figure out how) and then I think I'll get the max potential out of my GTS. And I'll try to OC her to after awhile... :twisted:
February 13, 2007 10:40:38 AM

overclocking a GTX isnt all that usefull, the increase isnt worth the trouble. plus it increases heat etc. and wears down parts. untill the other hardware catches up, i would recomend to just leave it stock. (i have a C2D at 3.4GHz and an 8800GTX)
February 13, 2007 10:53:50 AM

No, I'm thinking oCing CPU...I hear that 3800 X2 can go really high...
February 13, 2007 11:05:54 AM

Quote:

2.4-2.5 on stock cooler is around average. With a decent aftermarket cooler you're looking at 2.8-2.9 at best.
February 13, 2007 11:24:01 AM

Quote:

2.4-2.5 on stock cooler is around average. With a decent aftermarket cooler you're looking at 2.8-2.9 at best.

That sounds awesome...now, If someone just could walk me trough it... I never OC'd CPU before. I'll probably burn something... :D 
February 13, 2007 11:31:35 AM

Great card, too bad NV Cant write a vista driver to save their life, that's why i returned my GTS.
February 13, 2007 11:37:56 AM

Quote:
Great card, too bad NV Cant write a vista driver to save their life, that's why i returned my GTS.

Well Vista drivers seem alright to me, everything works just fine, though I'm sure there's much more juice to be drawn from my GTS...a little more patience....
February 13, 2007 12:34:41 PM

I bought a GTX, had an X2 3800 at the time with 2 gig of ram on an Asus A8NSLI

3d mark score 6000 something

upgraded to a C2D E6600, running it at stock at the moment 3d mark 06 - almost 10500

ur processor will hold u back with the GTX, with the C2D it runs all my games including oblivion flawlessly at 1680x1050. What a card!

Bottom line, if you get a GTX, to get your money's worth ur gunna have to spend more money on a C2D...

Cheetsy
February 13, 2007 12:46:46 PM

I knew it! That's the same result I got with GTX before I sent it back. Looks like there's no other way for me than OC'ing Cpu to the max....
Can't get Core 2 duo cuz i'd have to get new mobo and that isn't an option.
February 13, 2007 12:50:33 PM

Yeah its annoying having to upgrade everything. Ive always had AMD chips, right back to when i had a K62 400, was wierd jumping ship to Intel. But I'm very happy!
February 13, 2007 1:16:20 PM

honestly just go with the gts320 @1280x1024 there will be only mild difference between that and the gts/x
February 13, 2007 11:31:13 PM

The Opty would be a lovely upgrade for you, but im guessing your on a budget? Anywho, have a crack at OverClocking your 3800 and see what difference that makes.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=gethowto&howtoID=58
Heres a guide for OCing, google for more info.

Let us know what difference OCing has in your benchmarks
February 13, 2007 11:49:58 PM

I ordered a 640MB GTS this morning from Newegg. I waited until the 320MB GTS's came out, and I wasn't impressed, so I decided to go with the 640MB.

If you have the money, there is no reason not to go with a GTX. I didn't feel the need to spend the extra money that a GTX would have cost me, but that's not to say it isn't a great card. I'm sure I will be thrilled with my GTS.
February 14, 2007 6:39:01 AM

Thanks for the linky, I'll try to OC and to hell with it. If it burns out, I'll get AMD 5200 or something....That oughta be enough.

As fot GTS. more memory is always better in the long term...forget 320 MB. Go for 640, factory OC'd if you can...
February 14, 2007 8:06:01 AM

Quote:
What a load of rubbish!

M

i have to agree , cant believe there are people who have such opinions and anyway trying to tell someone what to do with his money and that buying the best is stupid.

P.S. show me a person who wouldnt enjoy a Ferrari
February 14, 2007 8:27:16 AM

Quote:
What a load of rubbish!

M

i have to agree , cant believe there are people who have such opinions and anyway trying to tell someone what to do with his money and that buying the best is stupid.

P.S. show me a person who wouldnt enjoy a Ferrari

Yes, there are alwas people that find the glass half empty, and those that find it half full. It's all the matter of perspective.
Btw., new NForce Vista drivers were released today, we'll se how they fare...
I just HAVE to OC my CPU, I have this stupid feeling that I'm getting only 60-70% out of my card. NO LIKEY!
February 14, 2007 9:17:44 AM

if possible, wait some time until R600 is on the market, you are running vista right? otherwise, no DX10 for you for the moment.
dx10 seems a little stupid now, because all the games are still DX9
at least i'm waiting until DX10 gets more mainstream and has a advantage for every day use.

just my 2 cents
February 14, 2007 9:43:04 AM

Quote:
if possible, wait some time until R600 is on the market, you are running vista right? otherwise, no DX10 for you for the moment.
dx10 seems a little stupid now, because all the games are still DX9
at least i'm waiting until DX10 gets more mainstream and has a advantage for every day use.

just my 2 cents

Already bought. Yep, I'm runnin' Vista but there's no DX10 games out yet, so... still, I'm preparing for whatever future brings.
February 14, 2007 11:02:34 AM

yes you have to OC the CPU , or better buy a new one :) 
BTW , how much does the GTS cost in Croatia?Do you use Euros?
February 14, 2007 11:32:32 AM

Quote:
yes you have to OC the CPU , or better buy a new one :) 
BTW , how much does the GTS cost in Croatia?Do you use Euros?

No, we're still using Kn, our own money. I paid 4850 Kn for GTX (660 € or 850$), then returned it for GTS wich is about 3300 Kn (450€ or 580 $).
Quite steep prices comparing US, but I had little choice in the matter.
I cannot afford new CPU these days, I just wasted my entire paycheck on that damned 8800GTS.
February 14, 2007 2:28:02 PM

Quote:

No, we're still using Kn, our own money. I paid 4850 Kn for GTX (660 € or 850$), then returned it for GTS wich is about 3300 Kn (450€ or 580 $).
Quite steep prices comparing US, but I had little choice in the matter.
I cannot afford new CPU these days, I just wasted my entire paycheck on that damned 8800GTS.

It is not so expensive but still ...you will enjoy it.I almost gave mine back for a GTX but in res at 1280x1024 my monitor supports GTS is good.Even at 1600x1200 i think its quite good :) 
February 14, 2007 2:49:40 PM

Go for the GTX, otherwise you'll always be thinking in the back of your mind whether or not you should gotten the faster version. This way, you can rest assured you have the fastest GPU on the planet.
February 15, 2007 5:18:32 AM

Like I said, I got GTX and returned it. The card is too powerful for my system, I cannot utilize it fully. It was a waste of money. Besides, even ms PSU wasnt handling it well so my rig was shutting down.
I play at 1280*1024 so GTS is much better solution for me.
!