WTF Firestix ddr2 800???

microchip246

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
I have got these Buffalo Firestix ddr2800 sticks that are the good old micron d9 ic's. I put them in my ds3 and it does that stupid non stop reboot thing. OK so I put my old stuff in and change the voltage from 1.8 to 2.1 like they are suppsed to run at. Put one stick in, it posts go into windows check things seems ok. Put the second stick in and it does the reboot thing. Put the other stick of buffalo in boots to windows and I go to cpuz and it says this WTF??
My ds3 is a rev2 with f10 bios

G

I got the same ram, and CPU-Z 1.38 tells me the same thing...
No biggy.

About the rebooting, make sur you have the latest bios, I also suggest to set the timming and voltage manually a a pretty relax timmings. And the with meme test try to isolate if one stick is bad, you might need to RMA.

microchip246

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
lol i found the problem with the one stick. When i first got the ram, I went to check to see what ic's it had. I pulled back a corner of the heat spreader to look. Put Everything back together and thats when the rebooting kept happening. I took of the heat spreader of that stick again just for kicks and found out that one of the ic's were sticking to the thermal tape, it got ripped of the pcb. lol RMA time. I did not know that they were that fragile, but yet i was easy with the tape.

microchip246

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
ROFL i was pissed off at the time i was typing a mile a minute. They could have came like that. Does it void warranty if you take off the heat spreader?
Because their is a noticeable paint scratch on the spreader itself?

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
Pretty sure the warranty is voided if you take off the heat spreader unfortunately but Buffalo may have a different policy or might not even notice/realize it.