Which company 8800 GTS

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hi guys i just got my pay check and since i am not married yea , so guess what i get to spend the money hooray :lol:

So here what its like i want to get a 8800 gts read a lot of forums and articles and this is the best card for ME .

What i am not sure is which company to go with , i dont want to like save money if it means trouble like the card not working or any other crap.

I am a lawyer so i work like 10 + hrs a day and saturdays , but thats alright i can live with the work the moneys good. :wink:

So anyway guys please give me your advice , everybody is welcome and any advice :D

Oh and by the way i did look up newegg the companies they are MSI, BFG, EVGA , leadtech, Foxconn

which one should i go for and what exactly is the step up program offered by EVGA

thank you all :D

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hey thanks for the quick reply :)

Could you tell me why i should like go for EVGA or Xfx

like pros and cons or elaborate a little on your advice

thank you

e36_Jeff

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I've got the evga superclocked 8800GTS, I liked it because it has a factory overclock, and I was able to easily get it to an even higher clock, right now I'm at a core clock of 600Mhz and memory clock of 1900Mhz. I went with evga because I've had good luck with their cards in the past, and at newegg at least, it was the least expensive of all the factory overclocked 8800GTS cards, as well as the highest clocked

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
First of all both companies are reputed for making high quality cards.

Also, apart from the stock configurations, they both make high-spec'ed, overclocked flavours of their cards to cater to the enthusiast crowd, like XFX's Extreme and XXX versions of the GTS, or eVGA's Superclocked and KO versions of it.

Another consideration is XFX's double lifetime warranty (in the States but not in Europe AFAIK), which basically means that you get lifetime warranty on your card and if you decide to sell it, the person you sell it to also gets the same lifetime warranty which makes for a good... er, selling point.
And eVGA's step up program basically translates to the privilege of being able to trade in your eVGA card for a newer and faster eVGA card, if such a card becomes available within a certain period of time.

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I would go with Evga because of their customer support and the step up program. The step up program basically works in a way that after you purchase your card from an authorized dealer (not Ebay) than you register it with them and within 90 days if you would like to exchange your card for a better one for example 8800GTX you can send it back and get the better card and all you have to pay is the difference in between the prices.

On the other hand i have heard that the overclocked XFX cards are the fastest ones in the bunch. I am not sure if this is true, but that's what i have heard. I have always been a BFG guy because i really like their products and their overclocked cards, and the goodies they send with their cards, although the Evga step up program is really kicks all the other brands ass in my opinion.

By the way since you are a lawyer and money dont matter :) why don't you go with the GTX instead of the GTS. I think you would really appreciate the speed difference in between the two and in prices there isn't that big of a difference in between the two. That's what i would do anyways. Unless you have a small monitor, because than it will not make much difference if you go with GTX or GTS.

Good luck with your choice.

slashzapper

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hi krisz let me first begin by saying that all the time i have spent on these forums , i have never got such concise and precise information from a user , for that i thank you.

infact i was just reading about the EVGA 90 day step up program and then i was like i am not going to be changing this card in 3 months so it dosent matter .

As for the GTX i am strictly against the thought process maximum cash = maximum power. i mean its like hey i can get a sports car but i hardly get to drive it .

See with the GTS atleast i am happy that i haven't spent crazy amount of cash and money is not an issue but the its completely stupid to spend 600 dollars and hardly use the computer .

As i am so busy at work , plus i really dont need that kind of power as i will never be able to justify it.

So EVGA BFG or xfx just name one

thank you :)

From what ive seen

Albatron - (personally cause im a tech/sales worker for a computer store), we get replacements on the spot for faulty cards, they also stick close to nvidias designs usually.

ASUS - waaaayyyy to expensive for what you get etc, overclock well

MSI - absolute RUBISH

Leadtek - overkill for cooling, great cards

Prolink - rubbish

GeCube and Sapphire - average

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I would still go with the Evga. Maybe you will not change it in 90 days but it is nice to have that option anyways. You never know you might change your mind in 90 days. If not that is fine but still at least you have the option. As for performance it is so little different in between the different brands it is unnoticeable anyways. If you like the shirt and stickers and stuff go with BFG. I am sucker for gaming T-shirts :)

Good luck