SP2 folder and/or Update folder

February 26, 2005 4:04:03 AM

Hello:

I am hoping someone will be able to answer the following for me. I have XP
Pro w/ SP2 with a local C: drive, a DVD-R as my D: drive, a CD-RW as my E:
drive, and an external USB hard drive as my F: drive. I have noticed
several strange named folders on F:. They are random letters and numbers
folders, such as

4b9e584e27a96d11025633ae
37fe28f89732069cb8e71ab0024146f9
5a9da
etc, etc, etc.

There are an Update subfolders that contain Update.exe. Or there is a
subfolder SP2\Update, which contains a different Update.exe than the others.
When I try to delete these folders, I get the error

Error Deleting File or Folder. Cannot delete update (or folder sp2): Access
is denied. Make sure the disk is not full to write-protected and that the
file is not currently in use.

When I try to change the folder attributes from the Properties option using
the "apply changes to this folder, subfolder and files" option, I get

"An error occurred applying attributes to the file: F:\
..........\Update.exe, Access is denied".

I am performing these options as the administrator account. I have not
found anything in Microsoft's XP knowledge base about these error, nor have
I found anything from the external hard drive mfg's knowledge base.

Does anyone know why this is happening? How can I fix this? Any help will
be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mark
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 3:46:06 PM

Answered in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

!