Grease vs Entangle

Hi there!
Those two spells confuse me: they have the same level and the
descriptions sound very much the same. Which one is better and why?
What's the difference whether the badies fall prone or are entangled?

Thx in advance!
Arne

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

"Arne Steffens" <news.15.wackelzahn@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> Hi there!
> Those two spells confuse me: they have the same level and the descriptions
> sound very much the same. Which one is better and why? What's the
> difference whether the badies fall prone or are entangled?
>
> Thx in advance!
> Arne

Unless I'm mistaken - and I may very well be - the two effects are not quite
the same. Someone who has been knocked down cannot take any action until
they get back on their feet. Someone who is entangled can still take action,
they simply cannot move - useful against melee fighters, who get to stand
there like morons while you hit them from a distance.

-[Blayde]-

mindseye wrote:
> "Arne Steffens" <news.15.wackelzahn@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi there!
>>Those two spells confuse me: they have the same level and the descriptions
>>sound very much the same. Which one is better and why? What's the
>>difference whether the badies fall prone or are entangled?
>>
>>Thx in advance!
>>Arne
>

> Unless I'm mistaken - and I may very well be - the two effects are not quite
> the same. Someone who has been knocked down cannot take any action until
> they get back on their feet. Someone who is entangled can still take action,
> they simply cannot move - useful against melee fighters, who get to stand
> there like morons while you hit them from a distance.
>
> -[Blayde]-

Grease causes the targets to either fall or move at a reduced speed. If
they are prone, they can't fight or cast.

Entangle stops them where they are or causes them to move at a reduced
speed, but they can still fight and cast.

Also note that Grease is for Bard/Druid/Ranger/Wizard/Sorcerer, and
Entangle is for Druid/Ranger only.

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

> Grease causes the targets to either fall or move at a reduced speed. If
> they are prone, they can't fight or cast.
>
> Entangle stops them where they are or causes them to move at a reduced
> speed, but they can still fight and cast.
>
> Also note that Grease is for Bard/Druid/Ranger/Wizard/Sorcerer, and
> Entangle is for Druid/Ranger only.

I primarily play as a sorcerer...never really had much use for grease. I'm a
bit fond of minions and AoE spells...things don't tend to live long enough
to need slowing down.

.....except the spell-resistant buggers. *grumbles and casts Polymorph Self*

-[Blayde]-

> Unless I'm mistaken - and I may very well be - the two effects are not
> quite the same. Someone who has been knocked down cannot take any action
> until they get back on their feet. Someone who is entangled can still take
> action, they simply cannot move - useful against melee fighters, who get
> to stand there like morons while you hit them from a distance.
>
> -[Blayde]-

And speaking as a 'tank', the grease spell is a pain in the butt (!!).
There's nothing worse than trying to charge an enemy and then find that
someone in your group has cast 'grease' . . . . unless it's finding they've
cast fear or turned undead in which case you can run forever (without
falling over) and never catch anything to hit. All those carefully thought
out tank defensive strategies are just blown out of the water.

Colin E

finn

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004

Arne Steffens wrote:
> Hi there!
> Those two spells confuse me: they have the same level and the
> descriptions sound very much the same. Which one is better and why?
> What's the difference whether the badies fall prone or are entangled?
>
> Thx in advance!
> Arne

grease is a save vs. knockdown and entangle is a save vs. getting
entangled. both effects slow creatures in the area of effect. grease
creates a prone effect. someone who is prone is considered flat-footed
and creatures attacking the prone character have +4 attack bonus on that
character. this character needs to get up and misses out on a full
attack round. entangled creatures are also considered flat-footed. they
are not prone tho and simply cannot move. no +4 bonus to hit, no lost
actions. in pnp a concentration check is required to cast spells while
entangled. not sure about in NWN. I prefer using grease because the
effects stack. 3 greases means 3 saves each round and a very slow
movement in the area. hope this helps

John Salerno schrieb:
> Grease causes the targets to either fall or move at a reduced speed. If
> they are prone, they can't fight or cast.
>
> Entangle stops them where they are or causes them to move at a reduced
> speed, but they can still fight and cast.
>
> Also note that Grease is for Bard/Druid/Ranger/Wizard/Sorcerer, and
> Entangle is for Druid/Ranger only.

Sounds like Entangle is better in terms of duration (3 +1 Round / 2
Levels vs 2 + 1 Round / 3 Levels) and area of effect (large vs medium)
but worse in terms of the effect the spell has on enemies.
Is this correct?

Arne Steffens wrote:
> John Salerno schrieb:
>
>>Grease causes the targets to either fall or move at a reduced speed. If
>>they are prone, they can't fight or cast.
>>
>>Entangle stops them where they are or causes them to move at a reduced
>>speed, but they can still fight and cast.
>>
>>Also note that Grease is for Bard/Druid/Ranger/Wizard/Sorcerer, and
>>Entangle is for Druid/Ranger only.
>

> Sounds like Entangle is better in terms of duration (3 +1 Round / 2
> Levels vs 2 + 1 Round / 3 Levels) and area of effect (large vs medium)
> but worse in terms of the effect the spell has on enemies.
> Is this correct?

I believe Grease is 2 rounds +1 round/2levels, not 3 levels.

John Salerno schrieb:
> I believe Grease is 2 rounds +1 round/2levels, not 3 levels.

I got this info from the spell description ingame. The Neverwinter
Grimoire 3.0 states 2 Rounds + 1 / 3 Levels too. Both could be wrong
though...
Where did you find 2 rounds +1 round/2levels ?

Arne Steffens wrote:
> John Salerno schrieb:
>
>>I believe Grease is 2 rounds +1 round/2levels, not 3 levels.
>

> I got this info from the spell description ingame. The Neverwinter
> Grimoire 3.0 states 2 Rounds + 1 / 3 Levels too. Both could be wrong
> though...
> Where did you find 2 rounds +1 round/2levels ?

I got it from PlanetNeverwinter, but I would trust the game more than
the website.