Win 2K Server 'Hidden' from Browse list

Some time ago we "hid" a server that we were using as an Internet gateway so that users couldn't simply browse to it. We did this at the command prompt using a simple line involving the word "hidden". However, the action wasn't documented (!!) and now that we want to change the machine's role we want to 'un-hide' it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've had a look through TechNet but can only find references to Win2003 and a registry setting, that our machine doesn't have.

Thanks.

Brian.
4 answers Last reply
More about server hidden browse list

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    System
    CurrentControlSet
    Services
    lanmanserver
    parameters

    change "hidden" from a 1 to a zero and reboot.

    Ray

    "Brian Canner" <Brian Canner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Some time ago we "hid" a server that we were using as an Internet gateway
    so that users couldn't simply browse to it. We did this at the command
    prompt using a simple line involving the word "hidden". However, the action
    wasn't documented (!!) and now that we want to change the machine's role we
    want to 'un-hide' it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've had a
    look through TechNet but can only find references to Win2003 and a registry
    setting, that our machine doesn't have.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Brian.

    That would be " net config server /hidden:no " --- Steve

    "Brian Canner" <Brian Canner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Some time ago we "hid" a server that we were using as an Internet gateway so
    that users couldn't simply browse to it. We did this at the command prompt using
    a simple line involving the word "hidden". However, the action wasn't documented
    (!!) and now that we want to change the machine's role we want to 'un-hide' it.
    Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've had a look through TechNet but can
    only find references to Win2003 and a registry setting, that our machine doesn't
    have.

    > Thanks.
    >
    > Brian.

    Hi Steve,

    Thanks for that. I found the "net config ..." command after I made the post (typical!) but having checked the status found that it was set to "not hidden". I tried hiding it (completed successfully), then un-hiding it (again message confirmed 'completed successfully) and I've left it over the weekend to 'work through the system'. Still no sign of it in Network Places. Any ideas?

    Cheers,

    Brian.

    "Steven Umbach" wrote:

    > That would be " net config server /hidden:no " --- Steve
    >

    > "Brian Canner" <Brian Canner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Some time ago we "hid" a server that we were using as an Internet gateway so
    > that users couldn't simply browse to it. We did this at the command prompt using
    > a simple line involving the word "hidden". However, the action wasn't documented
    > (!!) and now that we want to change the machine's role we want to 'un-hide' it.
    > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've had a look through TechNet but can
    > only find references to Win2003 and a registry setting, that our machine doesn't
    > have.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > Brian.

    Hi Brian.

    Verify that file and print sharing is installed/enabled and on it for tcp/ip, that
    the server service is running, and that netbios over tcp/ip is also enabled in
    tcp/ip properties/advanced/wins. Running ipconfig /all should also tell if netbios
    over tcp/ip is disabled. Nbtstat -n should show it as registering at least a few
    names.--- Steve

    > Hi Steve,
    >
    > Thanks for that. I found the "net config ..." command after I made the post
    (typical!) but having checked the status found that it was set to "not hidden". I
    tried hiding it (completed successfully), then un-hiding it (again message confirmed
    'completed successfully) and I've left it over the weekend to 'work through the
    system'. Still no sign of it in Network Places. Any ideas?

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Brian.
    >

    > "Steven Umbach" wrote:
    >
    > > That would be " net config server /hidden:no " --- Steve
    > >

    > > "Brian Canner" <Brian Canner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Some time ago we "hid" a server that we were using as an Internet gateway so
    > > that users couldn't simply browse to it. We did this at the command prompt using
    > > a simple line involving the word "hidden". However, the action wasn't documented
    > > (!!) and now that we want to change the machine's role we want to 'un-hide' it.
    > > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I've had a look through TechNet but can
    > > only find references to Win2003 and a registry setting, that our machine doesn't
    > > have.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > Brian.

Servers Windows