xp upgrade from 98se

February 26, 2005 9:59:54 PM

Hi,

I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about if
I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98 before
xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp pro
to recognise that I have a license for both?

thanks

--
___,
\o

/ \ . l
____________o

More about : upgrade 98se

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:55 PM

Formatting the drive defeats the purpose of upgrading because it destroys
everything on the drive. All you have to do is start Win98 and at the
desktop insert the XP cd. When the XP splash screen appears, select
install. That's it. All your files and settings will be preserved.

"dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about
> if I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98
> before xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow
> xp pro to recognise that I have a license for both?
>
> thanks
>
> --
> ___,
> \o
> | |>
> / \ . l
> ____________o

February 26, 2005 9:59:55 PM

"dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about
if
> I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98 before
> xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp pro
> to recognise that I have a license for both?

it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade of
win98

backup and data you need first...
then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
(you will get the option to format the drive)

during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
verification
but win98 does not need to be installed first..

believe me, i have done many upgrades
and a clean install is the way to go...
"inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
problems
February 26, 2005 9:59:55 PM

dougie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about if
> I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98 before
> xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp pro
> to recognise that I have a license for both?
>
> thanks

Should it become necessary, sometime in the future, it's quite
possible to perform a clean installation using the Upgrade CD, provided
you have the true installation CD for the earlier OS.

Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
"Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
February 26, 2005 9:59:55 PM

"dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about if
>I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98 before
>xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp pro
>to recognise that I have a license for both?
>
>thanks

You have several practical (although perhaps not strictly legal)
options when using the XP Pro upgrade disk.

1) A true upgrade to your Win 98 computer in which case you simply
stick in the XP Pro upgrade disk and proceed. Not advised.

2) A clean install of XP Pro to the old Win 98 computer, in which case
the best option is to simply Fdisk the Win 98 OS into oblivion
beforehand. Keep reading...

3) A clean install of XP Pro to a *new* computer, different from your
old Win 98 computer. In this case simply stick a virgin hard drive
into your new machine and install away. Keep reading...

For cases 2 and 3, the XP Pro "upgrade" installation will ask for a
Win 98 install CD for proof of ownership. Note that a Win 98 SE
upgrade CD will suffice for such proof.

If you want to do case 2 or 3 but you don't have a Win 98 install disk
for proof, then you can try to borrow one. Otherwise, you will have
to install XP Pro onto a system with Win 98 OS installed. If you are
building a new computer for your XP Pro system then simply clone your
working Win 98 hard drive and install the clone in the new computer.
It doesn't matter that your cloned drive might not actually boot to
Win 98 on your new computer (hardware conflicts etc). All that
matters is that the Win 98 OS is on the drive. Be warned, however,
that if you attempt to do a *clean* install of XP Pro using your XP
Pro *upgrade* CD onto a Win 98 computer that has more than one hard
drive partition available (C and D partitions for example), XP Pro
will *insist* on creating a dual boot system. Therefore, for the
special case detailed in this paragraph, simply make sure that the
drive with Win 98 on it has only one partition and that there is only
one hard drive in the new system when you attempt your clean install
using your XP Pro upgrade disk.

JT
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:55 PM

Check here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about
if
> I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98 before
> xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp pro
> to recognise that I have a license for both?
>
> thanks
>
> --
> ___,
> \o
> | |>
> / \ . l
> ____________o

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:56 PM

Hi, Philo.

> it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade
> of
> win98

An upgrade from one version of Windows (Win98) to another (WinXP) is an
"upgrade", but not an "in-place upgrade".

An "in-place upgrade" is what we might call an upgrade from one version
(WinXP) to the same version (WinXP). See KB article 315341 for instructions
for doing this.
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

We frequently recommend an in-place upgrade when a user needs to reinstall
WinXP without destroying the existing Registry. The Registry is contained
in several files within the \Windows folder. It holds a lot of critical
information about the existing WinXP installation, including entries for all
the installed applications, users, etc. A "clean install" erases the
existing Registry and creates a new, empty one, with none of that history or
other information. A reformat, of course, would do that and much more. But
an in-place upgrade will reinstall WinXP itself while leaving most of the
Registry intact, preserving the installed applications and data, plus most
of the user's "tweaks". The in-place upgrade reinstalls the version that is
on the WinXP CD-ROM used, so a visit to Windows Update is urged -as soon as
the proper protection (firewall, antivirus, etc.) are in place - to be sure
that SP2 and any later updates are (re)installed.

> and a clean install is the way to go...
> "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
> problems

I agree with this (if we delete "inplace"). While many (most?) users have
success with an upgrade from Win98 to WinXP, others report - as you said -
that the "migration" of drivers and applications is less than 100%
successful. Many upgraders experience nagging minor hassles later and end
up doing a clean install after all. As you said, an upgrade from Win98 to
WinXP requires only that the Win98 CD be inserted momentarily to verify that
the upgrade is permissible.

Dougie, you can boot into Win98, then insert the WinXP CD-ROM and upgrade
that way, as Colin suggested. Or you can boot from the WinXP CD and choose
to upgrade; this way, the Win98 drivers (which WinXP cannot use) never get
loaded and don't have to be migrated to the WinXP version. (I've never
actually done a Win98-WinXP upgrade, so this advice is based on theory, not
on my own experience.)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:o 9fjzgAHFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about
> if
>> I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98
>> before
>> xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp
>> pro
>> to recognise that I have a license for both?
>
> it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade
> of
> win98
>
> backup and data you need first...
> then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
> (you will get the option to format the drive)
>
> during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
> verification
> but win98 does not need to be installed first..
>
> believe me, i have done many upgrades
> and a clean install is the way to go...
> "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
> problems
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:56 PM

philo wrote:

> it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade of
> win98

On what specific data do you base this assertion? WinXP is designed to
install and upgrade the existing operating system while simultaneously
preserving your applications and data, and translating as many
personalized settings as possible. The process is designed to be, and
normally is, quite painless.

Some people will always recommend that you perform a clean
installation, rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the most
part, I feel that these people, while well-meaning, are living in the
past, and are basing their recommendation on their experiences with
older operating systems.

WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
important to you, back it up before proceeding.

> backup and data you need first...

Always a good idea. Things can go wrong, in a small number of cases.
If the data is at all important, it should be backed up before proceeding.

> then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
> (you will get the option to format the drive)

Again, why? The OP'd probably save a lot of time by upgrading his PC
to WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if he's no
hardware or software incompatibilities, and if his current OS has no
problems. Microsoft has greatly improved (over earlier versions of
Windows) WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade an earlier OS.

> during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
> verification
> but win98 does not need to be installed first..

Correct.

> believe me, i have done many upgrades
> and a clean install is the way to go...
> "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
> problems

Only if one hasn't properly prepared the system for the upgrade, or if
there are underlying hardware and/or software incompatibilities.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:56 PM

In news:g67121p2u9517fsf1vcsmsiemc9qkruie0@4ax.com,
JT <nomail@ever.com> typed:

> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some
>> info
>> about if I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely
>> reinstall win98 before xp pro or can i simply copy a few files
>> across from win 98 to allow xp pro to recognise that I have a
>> license for both?
>>
>> thanks
>
> You have several practical (although perhaps not strictly
> legal)
> options when using the XP Pro upgrade disk.
>
> 1) A true upgrade to your Win 98 computer in which case you
> simply
> stick in the XP Pro upgrade disk and proceed. Not advised.

Not advised by you, but advised by many of us.
Unlike with previous versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP
replaces almost everything, and usually works very well.

My recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since it's much
easier than a clean installation. You can always change your mind
and reinstall cleanly if problems develop.

However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the
need to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting
to upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a
sudden power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the
loss of everything. For that reason you should make sure you have
backups and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst
happens.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:56 PM

That is always an option after the OP tries an upgrade. He can always
convert to NTFS afterwards.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:o 9fjzgAHFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about
> if
>> I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98
>> before
>> xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp
>> pro
>> to recognise that I have a license for both?
>>

> it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade
> of
> win98
>
> backup and data you need first...
> then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
> (you will get the option to format the drive)
>
> during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
> verification
> but win98 does not need to be installed first..
>
> believe me, i have done many upgrades
> and a clean install is the way to go...
> "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
> problems

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:56 PM

He cannot do a clean install if his XP is an upgrade edition and his Win98
was preinstalled or he does not have a retail cd to use during the
installation. Just saying do a clean install without checking his
preparation could cause the OP to not have a functioning computer anymore.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:o 9fjzgAHFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about
> if
>> I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98
>> before
>> xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp
>> pro
>> to recognise that I have a license for both?
>>

> it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade
> of
> win98
>
> backup and data you need first...
> then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
> (you will get the option to format the drive)
>
> during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
> verification
> but win98 does not need to be installed first..
>
> believe me, i have done many upgrades
> and a clean install is the way to go...
> "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
> problems

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:57 PM

dougie,
I did not see it mentioned yet, but you should go to Microsoft's
compatibility page, and make sure that your PC is capable of handling XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysre...

1. I would recommend that you have 512 MB of RAM on your PC, for XP.
2. Either way you chose to upgrade, clean install or upgrade over present
OS, make sure that you back up all your important data, such as email
messages and other data files. Just in case things go wrong.
3. You should check all your hardwares' manufacturer sites and make sure
that there is an upgrade drivers for XP. Such as printers, scanners, modems,
digital cameras, network equipment, etc... If they don't have the XP
drivers, sometimes Win2000 drivers may work, if available.

Rich/rerat

(RRR News) <message rule>

> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about
> if
>> I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98
>> before
>> xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp
>> pro
>> to recognise that I have a license for both?
>
> it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade
> of
> win98
>
> backup and data you need first...
> then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
> (you will get the option to format the drive)
>
> during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
> verification
> but win98 does not need to be installed first..
>
> believe me, i have done many upgrades
> and a clean install is the way to go...
> "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
> problems
February 26, 2005 9:59:57 PM

"R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> success with an upgrade from Win98 to WinXP, others report - as you said -
> that the "migration" of drivers and applications is less than 100%
> successful. Many upgraders experience nagging minor hassles later and end
> up doing a clean install after all. As you said, an upgrade from Win98 to
> WinXP requires only that the Win98 CD be inserted momentarily to verify
that
> the upgrade is permissible.
>
> Dougie, you can boot into Win98, then insert the WinXP CD-ROM and upgrade
> that way, as Colin suggested. Or you can boot from the WinXP CD and
choose
> to upgrade; this way, the Win98 drivers (which WinXP cannot use) never get
> loaded and don't have to be migrated to the WinXP version. (I've never
> actually done a Win98-WinXP upgrade, so this advice is based on theory,

thank you for the clarification

at any rate, i have performed many XP installs
and upgrading an existing win98 installation
is just plain looking for trouble
February 26, 2005 9:59:57 PM

> philo wrote:
>

> > it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace"
upgrade of
> > win98
> >

> On what specific data do you base this assertion? WinXP is designed to
> install and upgrade the existing operating system while simultaneously
> preserving your applications and data, and translating as many
> personalized settings as possible. The process is designed to be, and
> normally is, quite painless.
>
> Some people will always recommend that you perform a clean
> installation, rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the most
> part, I feel that these people, while well-meaning, are living in the
> past, and are basing their recommendation on their experiences with
> older operating systems.
>
> WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
> system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
> translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
> designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
> can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
> important to you, back it up before proceeding.
>

> > backup and data you need first...
>

> Always a good idea. Things can go wrong, in a small number of cases.
> If the data is at all important, it should be backed up before proceeding.
>

> > then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
> > (you will get the option to format the drive)
> >

> Again, why? The OP'd probably save a lot of time by upgrading his PC
> to WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if he's no
> hardware or software incompatibilities, and if his current OS has no
> problems. Microsoft has greatly improved (over earlier versions of
> Windows) WinXP's ability to smoothly upgrade an earlier OS.
>

> > during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
> > verification
> > but win98 does not need to be installed first..
> >

> Correct.
>
> > believe me, i have done many upgrades
> > and a clean install is the way to go...
> > "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
> > problems
> >

> Only if one hasn't properly prepared the system for the upgrade, or if
> there are underlying hardware and/or software incompatibilities.

first off...
a direct upgrade of win98 to XP *can* certainly work...
but it is less likely to.

win9x opertating systems
are quite different from NT-based operating systems
and only *rarely* would use the same drivers.
and yes, the drivers are supposed to be replaced during an upgrade...
but in actual practice there are often compromises made that leave one with
an unsatable
system

to upgrade win95 to win98 for example is quite safe

to upgrade win2k to XP is quite safe...

but it's not a good practice to attempt an upgrade from a win9x based OS to
an NT based OS
(regarless of what Microsoft has designed for)

FWIW: i have done well over 500 installations (of various operating
systems... not all microsoft)
for people over the last few years and have just wasted too much time
attempting to repair
bad upgrades!

OTOH: clean installs have worked fine virtually 100% of the time
( the ones that had problems, were typically minor and easy to fix)
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:57 PM

And then there is the issue of motherboard drivers as well.

> philo wrote:
>

>> it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade
>> of
>> win98
>>

> On what specific data do you base this assertion? WinXP is designed to
> install and upgrade the existing operating system while simultaneously
> preserving your applications and data, and translating as many
> personalized settings as possible. The process is designed to be, and
> normally is, quite painless.
>
> Some people will always recommend that you perform a clean
> installation, rather than upgrade over an earlier OS. For the most part,
> I feel that these people, while well-meaning, are living in the past, and
> are basing their recommendation on their experiences with older operating
> systems.
>
> WinXP is designed to install and upgrade the existing operating
> system while simultaneously preserving your applications and data, and
> translating as many personalized settings as possible. The process is
> designed to be, and normally is, quite painless. That said, things
> can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If your data is at all
> important to you, back it up before proceeding.
>

>> backup and data you need first...
>

> Always a good idea. Things can go wrong, in a small number of cases. If
> the data is at all important, it should be backed up before proceeding.
>

>> then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
>> (you will get the option to format the drive)
>>

> Again, why? The OP'd probably save a lot of time by upgrading his PC to
> WinXP, rather than performing a clean installation, if he's no hardware or
> software incompatibilities, and if his current OS has no problems.
> Microsoft has greatly improved (over earlier versions of Windows) WinXP's
> ability to smoothly upgrade an earlier OS.
>

>> during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
>> verification
>> but win98 does not need to be installed first..
>>

> Correct.
>
>> believe me, i have done many upgrades
>> and a clean install is the way to go...
>> "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
>> problems
>>

> Only if one hasn't properly prepared the system for the upgrade, or if
> there are underlying hardware and/or software incompatibilities.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:57 PM

I agree with Ken. Do a virus scan and remove any spyware, defrag, and then
upgrade.

> In news:g67121p2u9517fsf1vcsmsiemc9qkruie0@4ax.com,
> JT <nomail@ever.com> typed:
>
>> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info
>>> about if I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely
>>> reinstall win98 before xp pro or can i simply copy a few files
>>> across from win 98 to allow xp pro to recognise that I have a
>>> license for both?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>
>> You have several practical (although perhaps not strictly legal)
>> options when using the XP Pro upgrade disk.
>>
>> 1) A true upgrade to your Win 98 computer in which case you simply
>> stick in the XP Pro upgrade disk and proceed. Not advised.
>

> Not advised by you, but advised by many of us.
> Unlike with previous versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP replaces almost
> everything, and usually works very well.
>

> My recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since it's much easier
> than a clean installation. You can always change your mind and reinstall
> cleanly if problems develop.
>

> However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the need to
> backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting to upgrade, it's
> always prudent to recognize that things like a sudden power loss can occur
> in the middle of it and cause the loss of everything. For that reason you
> should make sure you have backups and anything else you need to reinstall
> if the worst happens.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:58 PM

It depends on whether motherboard drivers are available to the OP on a cd.

> [...]
>> up doing a clean install after all. As you said, an upgrade from Win98
>> WinXP requires only that the Win98 CD be inserted momentarily to verify
> that
>> the upgrade is permissible.
>>
>> Dougie, you can boot into Win98, then insert the WinXP CD-ROM and upgrade
>> that way, as Colin suggested. Or you can boot from the WinXP CD and
> choose
>> to upgrade; this way, the Win98 drivers (which WinXP cannot use) never
>> get
>> loaded and don't have to be migrated to the WinXP version. (I've never
>> actually done a Win98-WinXP upgrade, so this advice is based on theory,
> not
>> on my own experience.)
>>
> thank you for the clarification
>
> at any rate, i have performed many XP installs
> and upgrading an existing win98 installation

Or insert the cd and run the upgrade advisor from the splash screen.

"RRR_News" <rrr_news@isp.com> wrote in message
> dougie,
> I did not see it mentioned yet, but you should go to Microsoft's
> compatibility page, and make sure that your PC is capable of handling XP.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysre...
>
> 1. I would recommend that you have 512 MB of RAM on your PC, for XP.
> 2. Either way you chose to upgrade, clean install or upgrade over present
> OS, make sure that you back up all your important data, such as email
> messages and other data files. Just in case things go wrong.
> 3. You should check all your hardwares' manufacturer sites and make sure
> that there is an upgrade drivers for XP. Such as printers, scanners,
> modems,
> digital cameras, network equipment, etc... If they don't have the XP
> drivers, sometimes Win2000 drivers may work, if available.
>
> --
>
> Add MS to your News Reader: news://msnews.microsoft.com
> Rich/rerat
>
> (RRR News) <message rule>
> <<Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate>>
>>
>> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have xp pro upgrade package from win 98 and would like some info about
>> if
>>> I need to reformat my hdd - do i need to completely reinstall win98
>>> before
>>> xp pro or can i simply copy a few files across from win 98 to allow xp
>>> pro
>>> to recognise that I have a license for both?
>>
>> it's best to do a clean install of XP rather than do an "inplace" upgrade
>> of
>> win98
>>
>> backup and data you need first...
>> then bootup with the XP cd and do a clean install
>> (you will get the option to format the drive)
>>
>> during the install, you will need to insert your win98 cd for product
>> verification
>> but win98 does not need to be installed first..
>>
>> believe me, i have done many upgrades
>> and a clean install is the way to go...
>> "inplace" upgrades of win9x , though they can work...often tend to have
>> problems

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:58 PM

philo wrote:

> first off...
> a direct upgrade of win98 to XP *can* certainly work...
> but it is less likely to.

Again, what documentation or evidence can you provide to support this
claim? *Why* is it less likely to work? Nothing you've said below even
applies.

> win9x opertating systems
> are quite different from NT-based operating systems

Obviously.

> and only *rarely* would use the same drivers.

That should read "never..."

> and yes, the drivers are supposed to be replaced during an upgrade...

Not only "supposed to be," but have to be, if the device is to work
under the new operating system. WinXP won't even attempt to use the
Win9x device drivers, even if the files do remain on the hard drive.
The worst problem the Win9x drivers can cause is a the waste of a small
amount of hard drive space.

> but in actual practice there are often compromises made that leave one with
> an unsatable
> system

"Unsatable?" Does an upgrade somehow make the computer hungry? (And
the correct word would be "insatiable.") If you mean "unstable," this
would occur only if the original OS were problematic to start with, if
other installed applications were incompatible with the new OS, or if
the hardware platform were incompatible, defective, or sub-standard.

> to upgrade win95 to win98 for example is quite safe

Assuming there are no problems with the original OS, that all of the
Win95 device drivers were compatible with Win98 (which was often not the
case, if memory serves), other installed applications were compatible
with the new OS, and if the hardware platform is compatible,
non-defective, and not sub-standard, and there is no malware installed.

> to upgrade win2k to XP is quite safe...

Again, assuming there are no problems with the original OS, that all of
the Win2K device drivers were compatible with WinXP (or were replaced by
WinXP-specific drivers), other installed applications were compatible
with the new OS, and if the hardware platform is compatible,
non-defective, and not sub-standard, and there is no malware installed.

Do you notice a trend, yet? Any upgrade can be problem-free, if the
underlying hardware is fully compatible with the new OS, if the existing
applications are fully compatible, and if the computer user properly
prepares and plans for the upgrade. Conversely, any upgrade over a
problematic OS, onto incompatible, defective, or sub-standard hardware
is likely to fail.

> but it's not a good practice to attempt an upgrade from a win9x based OS to
> an NT based OS

Again, can you produce any industry white-papers to this affect? On
what do you base your opinion?

> FWIW: i have done well over 500 installations (of various operating
> systems... not all microsoft)

Relevance? What percentage of these were properly prepared and
performed upgrades? What percentage were ill-prepared and poorly
performed upgrades? What, specifically, went "wrong" in the majority of
cases? What single common factor applies universally, to lead you to
summarily conclude that all upgrades are "bad?"

> for people over the last few years and have just wasted too much time
> attempting to repair
> bad upgrades!

Well, obviously, an improperly performed upgrade can cause problems.
But how many properly executed upgrades have caused problems, though?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 9:59:58 PM

> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
> > philo wrote:
[snip]

> FWIW: i have done well over 500 installations (of various operating
> systems... not all microsoft)
> for people over the last few years and have just wasted too much time
> attempting to repair
> bad upgrades!
>
> OTOH: clean installs have worked fine virtually 100% of the time
> ( the ones that had problems, were typically minor and easy to fix)

check here for instructions on how to be more successful with your upgrades
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
February 26, 2005 9:59:59 PM

> philo wrote:
>

> > first off...
> > a direct upgrade of win98 to XP *can* certainly work...
> > but it is less likely to.
> >

> Again, what documentation or evidence can you provide to support this
> claim? *Why* is it less likely to work? Nothing you've said below even
> applies.
>

> > win9x opertating systems
> > are quite different from NT-based operating systems
>

> Obviously.
>

> > and only *rarely* would use the same drivers.
>

> That should read "never..."

Nope, i once could not find an XP or win2k driver for a modem...
and tried a win98 driver...it worked fine.
Note: that was a one time only experience!

> > and yes, the drivers are supposed to be replaced during an upgrade...
>

> Not only "supposed to be," but have to be, if the device is to work
> under the new operating system. WinXP won't even attempt to use the
> Win9x device drivers, even if the files do remain on the hard drive.
> The worst problem the Win9x drivers can cause is a the waste of a small
> amount of hard drive space.
>

> > but in actual practice there are often compromises made that leave one
with
> > an unsatable
> > system
> >

> "Unsatable?" Does an upgrade somehow make the computer hungry? (And
> the correct word would be "insatiable.") If you mean "unstable," this
> would occur only if the original OS were problematic to start with, if
> other installed applications were incompatible with the new OS, or if
> the hardware platform were incompatible, defective, or sub-standard.

you know darn well that's a typo. *unstable*

> > to upgrade win95 to win98 for example is quite safe
> >

> Assuming there are no problems with the original OS, that all of the
> Win95 device drivers were compatible with Win98 (which was often not the
> case, if memory serves), other installed applications were compatible
> with the new OS, and if the hardware platform is compatible,
> non-defective, and not sub-standard, and there is no malware installed.
>

> > to upgrade win2k to XP is quite safe...
> >

> Again, assuming there are no problems with the original OS, that all of
> the Win2K device drivers were compatible with WinXP (or were replaced by
> WinXP-specific drivers), other installed applications were compatible
> with the new OS, and if the hardware platform is compatible,
> non-defective, and not sub-standard, and there is no malware installed.
>
> Do you notice a trend, yet? Any upgrade can be problem-free, if the
> underlying hardware is fully compatible with the new OS, if the existing
> applications are fully compatible, and if the computer user properly
> prepares and plans for the upgrade. Conversely, any upgrade over a
> problematic OS, onto incompatible, defective, or sub-standard hardware
> is likely to fail.
>

> > but it's not a good practice to attempt an upgrade from a win9x based OS
> > an NT based OS
>

> Again, can you produce any industry white-papers to this affect? On
> what do you base your opinion?
>

> > FWIW: i have done well over 500 installations (of various operating
> > systems... not all microsoft)
>

> Relevance? What percentage of these were properly prepared and
> performed upgrades? What percentage were ill-prepared and poorly
> performed upgrades? What, specifically, went "wrong" in the majority of
> cases? What single common factor applies universally, to lead you to
> summarily conclude that all upgrades are "bad?"

Note: none of my statements have been an opinion. I have emperical results
for
anything I have posted. If I've ever posted on usenet something that I have
not personally
tested I've said so. Now, to answer your question...I did not want to imply
that I've attempted 500
upgrades of win98 to XP...I just wanted to say that I have a lot of
experience with installing operating systems in general...and of the many
installs i've performed...maybe only 50 involved an upgrade of win98 to XP.

The first time I did it (my own system)...I thought...well why not just take
the easy route and just directly
upgrade the win98 to XP? I checked compatability and uninstalled one app
that was questionable...
then did the upgrade. It all was quite simple and painless and seemed to all
go well. *However*
even though the win98(se) installation had been working well ...my XP
experience was not a good one. There were occasional crashes and subtle
system instabilites
which led me to question whether or not XP was really as good as I was told.
Anyway...since I has already backed up my data, I decided to just do a fresh
install , then reinstall all the same apps...That was two years ago or so
and my XP installation
has been rock stable.

Anyway...since i am an experimentor by nature...I have done perhaps 20 or so
direct upgrades of win98 to XP on either test machines...or for other
people...and found
approx half of them to be less than desirable . Although for the most part,
the upgrade
did work...the system was not as stable as it was after I formatted the
drive and just did a clean
install. After that, I decided to just stick to clean installs and have had
virtually no problems since.
That's why I always recommend a clean install.

Additionally: How likely is it that the win98 installtion is 100 % trouble
free?
Doing a fresh install of XP pretty much eliminates that unknown.
Also, with a clean install, the drive is formatted again...and if there were
any drive problems...
that should also be taken care of.

Plus, it turns out that to do a completely fresh installation really does
not take all that long...
even including re-installing the apps.

I still recall the time I had spent over 4 hours trying to rid someone's
machine that was plagued
with viruses...And ending up just formatting the drive and reinstalling
their apps...all
within 90 minutes!

for more reading see this:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_9xupg...

Note: on google, if you look for problems upgrading from Win98 to XP
you will get thousands of hits. Most of the experts advise to perform a
clean install.
February 26, 2005 9:59:59 PM

> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
> > > philo wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> > FWIW: i have done well over 500 installations (of various operating
> > systems... not all microsoft)
> > for people over the last few years and have just wasted too much time
> > attempting to repair
> > bad upgrades!
> >
> > OTOH: clean installs have worked fine virtually 100% of the time
> > ( the ones that had problems, were typically minor and easy to fix)
> >

> check here for instructions on how to be more successful with your
upgrades
> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm

I assure you I've read and followed advice even more stringent that listed
on that site!
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 10:00:00 PM

I'll just bet you have.

> "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
>> "philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
>> [snip]
>> >
>> > FWIW: i have done well over 500 installations (of various operating
>> > systems... not all microsoft)
>> > for people over the last few years and have just wasted too much time
>> > attempting to repair
>> > bad upgrades!
>> >
>> > OTOH: clean installs have worked fine virtually 100% of the time
>> > ( the ones that had problems, were typically minor and easy to fix)
>> >

>> check here for instructions on how to be more successful with your
> upgrades
>> http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/upgrade_tips.htm
>>

> I assure you I've read and followed advice even more stringent that listed
> on that site!

February 26, 2005 10:00:01 PM

> I'll just bet you have.

yes,
before i did the first upgrade i had done a lot of reading.
from the time XP first came out...until I actually took the plunge...was
about 6 months.
no i did not spend the entire time reading...but I did do a lot of it.

Now that said...how many upgrades have you performed?
have the systems you've upgraded *ever* crashed?

I'd like to hear your results.

If you have done a lot of upgrades...
and they have all worked 100% then all I can say is...that's great...
but it does not always work out that way.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 10:00:02 PM

Hundreds and no crashes. I simply prepared well first and did not attempt
upgrades to any systems that were not certified by the manufacturer's for
XP. I also ran the Upgrade Advisor and resolved issues before attempting to
proceed. All were straightforward retail cd upgrades. I got the same
results from upgrading Win 2000 Pro systems to XP Pro.

>> I'll just bet you have.
>>

> yes,
> before i did the first upgrade i had done a lot of reading.
> from the time XP first came out...until I actually took the plunge...was
> about 6 months.
> no i did not spend the entire time reading...but I did do a lot of it.
>
> Now that said...how many upgrades have you performed?
> have the systems you've upgraded *ever* crashed?
>
> I'd like to hear your results.
>
> If you have done a lot of upgrades...
> and they have all worked 100% then all I can say is...that's great...
> but it does not always work out that way.

February 26, 2005 10:00:03 PM

> Hundreds and no crashes. I simply prepared well first and did not attempt
> upgrades to any systems that were not certified by the manufacturer's for
> XP. I also ran the Upgrade Advisor and resolved issues before attempting
> proceed. All were straightforward retail cd upgrades. I got the same
> results from upgrading Win 2000 Pro systems to XP Pro.

OK
fair enough!

i'd not expect any problems with win2k > XP

did any of those win98 > XP upgrades *ever* have a crash during
let's say a one year period of time? not an application failure...but a full
system failure?
just curious.
thank you
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:07:43 AM

In news:u8JJNpFHFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
philo <philo@privacy.net> respectfully replied ;-)
>> Hundreds and no crashes. I simply prepared well first and did not
>> attempt upgrades to any systems that were not certified by the
>> manufacturer's for XP. I also ran the Upgrade Advisor and resolved
>> issues before attempting to proceed. All were straightforward
>> retail cd upgrades. I got the same results from upgrading Win 2000
>> Pro systems to XP Pro.
>>
> OK
> fair enough!
>
> i'd not expect any problems with win2k > XP
>

> did any of those win98 > XP upgrades *ever* have a crash during
> let's say a one year period of time? not an application failure...but
> a full system failure?
> just curious.
> thank you

My experience is much the same as Colin's and for the life of me I don't
understand how a crash during any period of time would relate any argument
that a clean install would be better than an upgrade. Grasping for straws?
The XP upgrade when properly prepped is very close to a clean install, and
since the Windows folder is completely removed and replaced with a new CLEAN
Windows folder, old drivers are NOT migrated. The same drivers that a clean
install would use are also used for the upgrade [hint! they are on the XP
CD]. When you remove incompatible hardware and software before the upgrade,
the upgrade is going to be a success.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

In news:%231tRRXCHFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> respectfully replied ;-)
> I agree with Ken. Do a virus scan and remove any spyware, defrag,
> and then upgrade.
>
>> In news:g67121p2u9517fsf1vcsmsiemc9qkruie0@4ax.com,
>> JT <nomail@ever.com> typed:

>>> You have several practical (although perhaps not strictly legal)
>>> options when using the XP Pro upgrade disk.
>>>
>>> 1) A true upgrade to your Win 98 computer in which case you simply
>>> stick in the XP Pro upgrade disk and proceed. Not advised.
>>

>> Not advised by you, but advised by many of us.
>> Unlike with previous versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP replaces
>> almost everything, and usually works very well.
>>

>> My recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since it's much
>> easier than a clean installation. You can always change your mind
>> and reinstall cleanly if problems develop.
>>

>> However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the need
>> to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting to
>> upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a sudden
>> power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the loss of
>> everything. For that reason you should make sure you have backups
>> and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst happens.
>> >>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

To add to the great advise both of you give, I suggest prepping for a clean
install but opt for the upgrade as the first option. This way if some freak
act of the unknown [power loss, hard drive failure, mental fart, etc.]
happens, everything is in place to do the clean install. The time spent on
an unsuccessful upgrade would be hardly noticed when added to the time it
takes to configure a clean install.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
February 27, 2005 8:10:11 AM

"Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
news:o B6rNpIHFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> In news:u8JJNpFHFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> philo <philo@privacy.net> respectfully replied ;-)
> > "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
> >> Hundreds and no crashes. I simply prepared well first and did not
> >> attempt upgrades to any systems that were not certified by the
> >> manufacturer's for XP. I also ran the Upgrade Advisor and resolved
> >> issues before attempting to proceed. All were straightforward
> >> retail cd upgrades. I got the same results from upgrading Win 2000
> >> Pro systems to XP Pro.
> >>
> > OK
> > fair enough!
> >
> > i'd not expect any problems with win2k > XP
> >

> > did any of those win98 > XP upgrades *ever* have a crash during
> > let's say a one year period of time? not an application failure...but
> > a full system failure?
> > just curious.
> > thank you
>
> My experience is much the same as Colin's and for the life of me I don't
> understand how a crash during any period of time would relate any
argument
> that a clean install would be better than an upgrade. Grasping for straws?
> The XP upgrade when properly prepped is very close to a clean install, and
> since the Windows folder is completely removed and replaced with a new
CLEAN
> Windows folder, old drivers are NOT migrated. The same drivers that a
clean
> install would use are also used for the upgrade [hint! they are on the XP
> CD]. When you remove incompatible hardware and software before the
upgrade,
> the upgrade is going to be a success.

Actually i was not grasping at straws...
because the systems i have performed clean installs on have been running
flawlessly for
several years now. Although i have had a few system crashes due to hardware
failure
(ie: cpu fan quit etc) the system itself has never crashed. That's several
machines
over a two year period of time.

Even though, in theory XP may have been designed to upgrade win98...
in practice (even if compatability is checked first) I've found that that
just is not the case.

One side point I'd like to make is that i was quite surprised at how well XP
really works...
even with legacy devices. I've install XP many times on machines that still
had some fairly old
ISA devices and have never had a problem. So hardware compatability is (at
least in my experience) , virtually a non-issue.

Now, getting back to my original question, which no one has answered yet. In
all the systems
which were upgraded from win98 to XP...Did any of them ever crash within
(let's say), a one year
period? Now if you'd say , sure so it crashed once or twice in that year, so
what...that's
normal. All I can say is..."How do you know that a clean install would not
have worked better?"

Finally...If one can truely say that they've performed hundreds of upgrades
and none of them have ever crashed, ever...then maybe I'll quit harping so
much on the clean
install method!
However , of course not all older software will work under XP...but for the
most part...
that which does not function is pretty darn old (such as dos games for
example)
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 8:10:12 AM

In news:o %23idkzLHFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
philo <philo@privacy.net> respectfully replied ;-)
> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
> news:o B6rNpIHFHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> In news:u8JJNpFHFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
>> philo <philo@privacy.net> respectfully replied ;-)
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> OK
>>> fair enough!
>>>
>>> i'd not expect any problems with win2k > XP
>>>

>>> did any of those win98 > XP upgrades *ever* have a crash during
>>> let's say a one year period of time? not an application
>>> failure...but a full system failure?
>>> just curious.
>>> thank you
>>
>> My experience is much the same as Colin's and for the life of me I
>> don't understand how a crash during any period of time would relate
>> any argument that a clean install would be better than an upgrade.
>> Grasping for straws? The XP upgrade when properly prepped is very
>> close to a clean install, and since the Windows folder is completely
>> removed and replaced with a new CLEAN Windows folder, old drivers
>> are NOT migrated. The same drivers that a clean install would use
>> are also used for the upgrade [hint! they are on the XP CD]. When
>> you remove incompatible hardware and software before the upgrade,
>> the upgrade is going to be a success.
>

> Actually i was not grasping at straws...
> because the systems i have performed clean installs on have been
> running flawlessly for
> several years now. Although i have had a few system crashes due to
> hardware failure
> (ie: cpu fan quit etc) the system itself has never crashed. That's
> several machines
> over a two year period of time.
>
> Even though, in theory XP may have been designed to upgrade win98...
> in practice (even if compatability is checked first) I've found that
> that just is not the case.
>
> One side point I'd like to make is that i was quite surprised at how
> well XP really works...
> even with legacy devices. I've install XP many times on machines that
> still had some fairly old
> ISA devices and have never had a problem. So hardware compatability
> is (at least in my experience) , virtually a non-issue.
>

> Now, getting back to my original question, which no one has answered
> yet. In all the systems
> which were upgraded from win98 to XP...Did any of them ever crash
> within (let's say), a one year
> period? Now if you'd say , sure so it crashed once or twice in that
> year, so what...that's
> normal. All I can say is..."How do you know that a clean install
> would not have worked better?"

Yes, and so did a couple of clean installs, what exactly does this prove? I
also have a couple of dual boot systems that are a mixture of clean and
upgrade and neither have crashed, and I have to check to see which is the
clean or upgrade OS I am booted into. You really don't understand how the XP
upgrade works from what have you posted
95/98/Me drivers are not migrated to XP, any hardware that doesn't have XP
drivers by now, should be junked or if the hardware is very important the
system should not be upgraded at all.
Bottom line is a poorly prepped clean install will give about the same
results as a poorly prepped upgrade and the same goes for a well prepped
upgrade and clean install. The XP upgrade is vastly improved from previous
Windows upgrades and should not be treated the same as previous upgrades.
When done correctly, it is very close to a clean install in both stability
and final installed footprint with a major savings in time spent in
configuration and productivity.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...

> Finally...If one can truely say that they've performed hundreds of
> upgrades and none of them have ever crashed, ever...then maybe I'll
> quit harping so much on the clean
> install method!
> However , of course not all older software will work under XP...but
> for the most part...
> that which does not function is pretty darn old (such as dos games for
> example)
February 27, 2005 9:50:13 AM

"Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message news:e%> >>>

<portions trimmed>

> > Actually i was not grasping at straws...
> > because the systems i have performed clean installs on have been
> > running flawlessly for
> > several years now. Although i have had a few system crashes due to
> > hardware failure
> > (ie: cpu fan quit etc) the system itself has never crashed. That's
> > several machines
> > over a two year period of time.
> >
> > Even though, in theory XP may have been designed to upgrade win98...
> > in practice (even if compatability is checked first) I've found that
> > that just is not the case.
> >
> > One side point I'd like to make is that i was quite surprised at how
> > well XP really works...
> > even with legacy devices. I've install XP many times on machines that
> > still had some fairly old
> > ISA devices and have never had a problem. So hardware compatability
> > is (at least in my experience) , virtually a non-issue.
> >

> > Now, getting back to my original question, which no one has answered
> > yet. In all the systems
> > which were upgraded from win98 to XP...Did any of them ever crash
> > within (let's say), a one year
> > period? Now if you'd say , sure so it crashed once or twice in that
> > year, so what...that's
> > normal. All I can say is..."How do you know that a clean install
> > would not have worked better?"
> >

> Yes, and so did a couple of clean installs, what exactly does this prove?
> also have a couple of dual boot systems that are a mixture of clean and
> upgrade and neither have crashed, and I have to check to see which is the
> clean or upgrade OS I am booted into. You really don't understand how the
XP
> upgrade works from what have you posted
> 95/98/Me drivers are not migrated to XP, any hardware that doesn't have XP
> drivers by now, should be junked or if the hardware is very important the
> system should not be upgraded at all.

Although I do understand the upgrade process...
I think there are a few people here who missed my point entirely.

I have done a number of upgrades after carefully
following advice and checking compatability...yet still have ended up with
some
less than optimal systems. Though the upgrades did not "fail" so to
speak...the system
was not as stable as i had expected it to be...and by formatting the drive
and performing
a clean install...all was well. Note: that was using the *same* hardware and
*same* apps.
As I said...I have certainly had quite a few upgrades work just fine...but
I've had enough
that didn't to generally discourage such.

> Bottom line is a poorly prepped clean install will give about the same
> results as a poorly prepped upgrade and the same goes for a well prepped
> upgrade and clean install. The XP upgrade is vastly improved from previous
> Windows upgrades and should not be treated the same as previous upgrades.

The following are your words, not mine:

> When done correctly, it is very close to a clean install in both stability
> and final installed footprint

with a major savings in time spent in
> configuration and productivity.

In my experience, "very close" is not good enough.
Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist...but even if it takes a little bit
longer to
backup your data and perform a clean install...it's time well spent...
especially considering it may only take an extra hour or two...
compared to the many years one will probably be using the OS!

One more point...
one must examine how much time is spent in "prepping" a marginal win98
installation
in order to ready it for an upgrade... vs the time spent just backing up the
data
and reinstalling. More than likely it's actually quicker to just to a clean
install.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 9:50:14 AM

In news:%23q3odrMHFHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
philo <philo@privacy.net> respectfully replied ;-)
> "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message news:e%>
> >>>

> <portions trimmed>
>
>>> Actually i was not grasping at straws...
>>> because the systems i have performed clean installs on have been
>>> running flawlessly for
>>> several years now. Although i have had a few system crashes due to
>>> hardware failure
>>> (ie: cpu fan quit etc) the system itself has never crashed. That's
>>> several machines
>>> over a two year period of time.
>>>
>>> Even though, in theory XP may have been designed to upgrade win98...
>>> in practice (even if compatability is checked first) I've found that
>>> that just is not the case.
>>>
>>> One side point I'd like to make is that i was quite surprised at how
>>> well XP really works...
>>> even with legacy devices. I've install XP many times on machines
>>> that still had some fairly old
>>> ISA devices and have never had a problem. So hardware compatability
>>> is (at least in my experience) , virtually a non-issue.
>>>

>>> Now, getting back to my original question, which no one has answered
>>> yet. In all the systems
>>> which were upgraded from win98 to XP...Did any of them ever crash
>>> within (let's say), a one year
>>> period? Now if you'd say , sure so it crashed once or twice in that
>>> year, so what...that's
>>> normal. All I can say is..."How do you know that a clean install
>>> would not have worked better?"
>>>

>> Yes, and so did a couple of clean installs, what exactly does this
>> prove? I also have a couple of dual boot systems that are a mixture
>> of clean and upgrade and neither have crashed, and I have to check
>> to see which is the clean or upgrade OS I am booted into. You really
>> don't understand how the XP upgrade works from what have you posted
>> 95/98/Me drivers are not migrated to XP, any hardware that doesn't
>> have XP drivers by now, should be junked or if the hardware is very
>> important the system should not be upgraded at all.
>

> Although I do understand the upgrade process...
> I think there are a few people here who missed my point entirely.
>
> I have done a number of upgrades after carefully
> following advice and checking compatability...yet still have ended up
> with some
> less than optimal systems. Though the upgrades did not "fail" so to
> speak...the system
> was not as stable as i had expected it to be...and by formatting the
> drive and performing
> a clean install...all was well. Note: that was using the *same*
> hardware and *same* apps.
> As I said...I have certainly had quite a few upgrades work just
> fine...but I've had enough
> that didn't to generally discourage such.

I have found any system that gave problems when I upgraded, were the same on
the clean install. But that is because of the way I approach an upgrade is
the same as a clean install.

>> Bottom line is a poorly prepped clean install will give about the
>> same results as a poorly prepped upgrade and the same goes for a
>> well prepped upgrade and clean install. The XP upgrade is vastly
>> improved from previous Windows upgrades and should not be treated
>> the same as previous upgrades.
>

> The following are your words, not mine:
>

>> When done correctly, it is very close to a clean install in both
>> stability and final installed footprint
>

> with a major savings in time spent in
>> configuration and productivity.
>

> In my experience, "very close" is not good enough.
> Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist...but even if it takes a
> little bit longer to
> backup your data and perform a clean install...it's time well spent...
> especially considering it may only take an extra hour or two...
> compared to the many years one will probably be using the OS!

In my experience very close is just a concession that a clean install must
logically be better, but I have not actually noticed a difference in
stability. The only real noticeable difference is in the footprint.
If it only takes you an extra hour or two to do a clean install, then my hat
is off to you and please tell us your secret.

> One more point...
> one must examine how much time is spent in "prepping" a marginal win98
> installation

I would not upgrade a marginal 98 system at this time.

> in order to ready it for an upgrade... vs the time spent just backing
> up the data

What would make a difference in time? I would prep for a clean install
whether upgrading or clean installing

> and reinstalling. More than likely it's actually quicker to just to a
> clean install.

No way is it quicker.

--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
February 27, 2005 10:57:43 AM

> In news:%23q3odrMHFHA.2276@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> philo <philo@privacy.net> respectfully replied ;-)
> > "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message news:e%>
> > >>>

> > <portions trimmed>
> >
> I have found any system that gave problems when I upgraded, were the same
on
> the clean install. But that is because of the way I approach an upgrade is
> the same as a clean install.
>
> >> Bottom line is a poorly prepped clean install will give about the
> >> same results as a poorly prepped upgrade and the same goes for a
> >> well prepped upgrade and clean install. The XP upgrade is vastly
> >> improved from previous Windows upgrades and should not be treated
> >> the same as previous upgrades.
> >

> > The following are your words, not mine:
> >

> >> When done correctly, it is very close to a clean install in both
> >> stability and final installed footprint
> >

> > with a major savings in time spent in
> >> configuration and productivity.
> >

> > In my experience, "very close" is not good enough.
> > Maybe I am too much of a perfectionist...but even if it takes a
> > little bit longer to
> > backup your data and perform a clean install...it's time well spent...
> > especially considering it may only take an extra hour or two...
> > compared to the many years one will probably be using the OS!
> >

> In my experience very close is just a concession that a clean install must
> logically be better, but I have not actually noticed a difference in
> stability. The only real noticeable difference is in the footprint.
> If it only takes you an extra hour or two to do a clean install, then my
hat
> is off to you and please tell us your secret.
>

> > One more point...
> > one must examine how much time is spent in "prepping" a marginal win98
> > installation
>
> I would not upgrade a marginal 98 system at this time.
>

> > in order to ready it for an upgrade... vs the time spent just backing
> > up the data
>
> What would make a difference in time? I would prep for a clean install
> whether upgrading or clean installing
>
> > and reinstalling. More than likely it's actually quicker to just to a
> > clean install.
>
> No way is it quicker.

When upgrading a Win98 system to XP...
it's really not that likely that the Win98 system is 100% good...
even if there are no conflicts...and assuming XP properly replaces all the
drivers...
there still could be some minor registry errors that though they were not
casing any real problems...
would be multplied after an ungrade.

So, if one were to fully examine the win98 system and correct all errors
before upgrading...
it could take a bit of time.
A fresh install of XP, to me just has not seemed too terribly time
consuming...
I have no "secret" method other than just being sure to export the OE and IE
data first.

Now that said...even assuming one had a 100% funtional win98 system
which would lend itself to a 100% functional XP upgrade...
My question is...why would you want to upgrade a system that is perfectly
good in the
first place?

I never recommend to anyone that they upgrade a perfectly good win98 system
to XP...
OTOH: if someone is having incurable win98 stability problems... I generally
do recommend
a move to the more stable Win2k or XP...but of course would never do
anything but a clean
install in those cases...

Now that I've put my case down in writing it's obvious why I stand at odds
with some of the people here...It's simply because the main reason I upgrade
people's machines to XP is simply becasue of their win98 problems...so of
course do a clean install.

The win98 systems, that are working fine...i generally don't upgrade.

So now all I am left to ask is why you guys are upgrading perfectly good
100% working
win98 systems?
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 10:57:44 AM

In news:eJl5LRNHFHA.2924@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> [...]
> perfectly good in the
> first place?
>
> I never recommend to anyone that they upgrade a perfectly good win98
> system to XP...
> OTOH: if someone is having incurable win98 stability problems... I
> generally do recommend
> a move to the more stable Win2k or XP...but of course would never do
> anything but a clean
> install in those cases...
>
> Now that I've put my case down in writing it's obvious why I stand at
> odds with some of the people here...It's simply because the main
> reason I upgrade people's machines to XP is simply becasue of their
> win98 problems...so of course do a clean install.
>
> The win98 systems, that are working fine...i generally don't upgrade.
>
> So now all I am left to ask is why you guys are upgrading perfectly

Unfortunately you do not have a realistic grasp on how the XP upgrade works.
There is nothing left of 98 after the upgrade except for the registry
settings you allowed it to migrate.
We stand in agreement upgrading a 98 system, I very rarely suggest anyone
upgrade a 98 system to XP. With the prices of entry level XP systems so very
close to the cost of upgrading a 98 system, I find it very foolish to
upgrade. Any 98 system you upgrade to XP would be obsolete and the cheapest
entry level Dell system would run circles around the 98 system upgraded to
XP.
I suggest lean out the 98 system, network it with a new XP system and get a
lot more bang for the buck.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
February 27, 2005 11:51:10 AM

> >> In my experience very close is just a concession that a clean
> >> install must logically be better, but I have not actually noticed a
> >> difference in stability. The only real noticeable difference is in
> >> the footprint.
> >> If it only takes you an extra hour or two to do a clean install,
> >> then my hat is off to you and please tell us your secret.

> >> Unfortunately you do not have a realistic grasp on how the XP upgrade
works.
> There is nothing left of 98 after the upgrade except for the registry
> settings you allowed it to migrate.

My understanding is probably not perfect...
but if win98 has registry flaws...chances are the XP upgrade will too.
If the win98 registry flaws are repairable...
then they should of course be repaired.(and if win98 then works fine...why
upgrade?)
If they are not repairable...then that would call for a clean installtion of
XP
I don't see anything here that is a point of argument.

> We stand in agreement upgrading a 98 system, I very rarely suggest anyone
> upgrade a 98 system to XP. With the prices of entry level XP systems so
very
> close to the cost of upgrading a 98 system, I find it very foolish to
> upgrade. Any 98 system you upgrade to XP would be obsolete and the
cheapest
> entry level Dell system would run circles around the 98 system upgraded to
> XP.
> I suggest lean out the 98 system, network it with a new XP system and get
> lot more bang for the buck.

Well now that all that's been said...
I guess I can think of one reason to upgrade to XP...
and that would be for a larger hardrive and the better cluster size and
fault tolerence of NTFS.
But most machines old enough to have win98 on them probably don't have the
hardware to run XP
too well.
BTW: I just worked on a guy's P-4 3.5ghz with a gig of RAM
and even with that hardware...the machine ran much better (faster) with
animations turned off...
I typicall work on older equipment (200 mhz - 2ghz)
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:59:20 PM

In news:%239HNY9KHFHA.3200@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Michael Stevens <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> typed:

> In news:%231tRRXCHFHA.580@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> respectfully
> replied
> ;-)
>> I agree with Ken. Do a virus scan and remove any spyware,
>> defrag,
>> and then upgrade.
>>
>>> In news:g67121p2u9517fsf1vcsmsiemc9qkruie0@4ax.com,
>>> JT <nomail@ever.com> typed:

>>> Not advised by you, but advised by many of us.
>>> Unlike with previous versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP
>>> replaces
>>> almost everything, and usually works very well.
>>>

>>> My recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since it's
>>> much
>>> easier than a clean installation. You can always change your
>>> mind
>>> and reinstall cleanly if problems develop.
>>>

>>> However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of
>>> the need
>>> to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting
>>> upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a
>>> sudden
>>> power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the loss
>>> of
>>> everything. For that reason you should make sure you have
>>> backups
>>> and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst happens.
>>>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
>>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>
> To add to the great advise both of you give, I suggest prepping
> for a
> clean install but opt for the upgrade as the first option.

Yes, I completely agree.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> This way
> if some freak act of the unknown [power loss, hard drive
> failure,
> mental fart, etc.] happens, everything is in place to do the
> clean
> install. The time spent on an unsuccessful upgrade would be
> hardly
> noticed when added to the time it takes to configure a clean
> install.
February 27, 2005 4:28:20 PM

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:

>Unlike with previous versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP
>replaces almost everything, and usually works very well.

"Usually" being the operative word. Sorry, but I many others don't
wish to gamble seven plus years of software purchases, updates, and
data on "usually".

>However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the
>need to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting
>to upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a
>sudden power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the
>loss of everything. For that reason you should make sure you have
>backups and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst
>happens.

The mistake that you and a few others make is the false assumption
that most users have the technical ability to make such backups. For
most users, your caveat to "have backups and anything else needed to
reinstall" would be virtually impossible to achieve without hands-on
expert assistance. No, the safest way to effect an XP Pro upgrade is
to first have someone who knows what they are doing either image the
drive(s) beforehand and store the image externally or clone the
drive(s) beforehand. That way, reverting back to a working Win98
system is just a matter of restoring the image or swapping drives.
February 27, 2005 4:28:21 PM

"JT" <nomail@ever.com> wrote in message
> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
> >Unlike with previous versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP
> >replaces almost everything, and usually works very well.
>
> "Usually" being the operative word. Sorry, but I many others don't
> wish to gamble seven plus years of software purchases, updates, and
> data on "usually".
>
> >However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the
> >need to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting
> >to upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a
> >sudden power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the
> >loss of everything. For that reason you should make sure you have
> >backups and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst
> >happens.
>
> The mistake that you and a few others make is the false assumption
> that most users have the technical ability to make such backups. For
> most users, your caveat to "have backups and anything else needed to
> reinstall" would be virtually impossible to achieve without hands-on
> expert assistance. No, the safest way to effect an XP Pro upgrade is
> to first have someone who knows what they are doing either image the
> drive(s) beforehand and store the image externally or clone the
> drive(s) beforehand. That way, reverting back to a working Win98
> system is just a matter of restoring the image or swapping drives.

Good answer...
I agree ...
I did my first upgrade of win98 to XP on a drive that was all backed up...
so of course was able to "go back" when it did not work out well.
You are also right in that the average home user does not necessarily know
how to backup their OS.
Not only that, you really need a spare drive to *test* the backup like I
always do.
It's kind of scary to see that once in a while the backup is no good and you
have to
do it again. Not everyone uses removable drive kits like i do, to make the
whole
thing easy... I have a special machine setup with three removable drive
bays...
which i made specifically for cloing OS's.

Howerver...in this day and age, even my non-computer savvy friends know
enough
about it to at least backup their data to cd's or DVD's. If the OS or
harddrive dies...
it's not the end of the world to reinstall...just as long as the data is
safe.
One friend of mine in particular is a professional photographer...who's got
over 500
gigs of data!!!

"Usually works" and "almost as good" are not words in my vocabulary!

I've noticed that many of the people who post here are quite well seasoned
and know how to properly install and upgrade operating systems... The casual
user looking for advice here should not be assumed to use the same
precautions.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:28:21 PM

JT wrote:

> "Usually" being the operative word. Sorry, but I many others don't
> wish to gamble seven plus years of software purchases, updates, and
> data on "usually".

What's the gamble? In the rare instances where an upgrade doesn't
work, the computer is no worse off than if he'd prepared for a clean
installation.

> The mistake that you and a few others make is the false assumption
> that most users have the technical ability to make such backups.

It's no assumption. It takes little more intelligence to back up one's
data, than it does to pound sand. You're either grossly
under-estimating the intelligence of the average human, or vastly
over-exaggerating the difficulty of safely using a computer.

> For
> most users, your caveat to "have backups and anything else needed to
> reinstall" would be virtually impossible to achieve without hands-on
> expert assistance.

Nonsense. Are you saying that most computer users are too dim to
manage a few mouse-clicks or to master the concept of click-and-drag?
How, then, are they using their computers in the first place?

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
February 27, 2005 4:32:59 PM

news:o sApNAQHFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> JT wrote:
>

> > "Usually" being the operative word. Sorry, but I many others don't
> > wish to gamble seven plus years of software purchases, updates, and
> > data on "usually".
> >

> What's the gamble? In the rare instances where an upgrade doesn't
> work, the computer is no worse off than if he'd prepared for a clean
> installation.

I think you missed the point...
although an upgrade generally does complete...
that does not guarantee a 100% working or stable system.
If the upgrade "hoses" the system...unless the drive was backed up...
there is nothing to go back to.
Unless the data itself was backed up...
at that point one would have to perform a clean install *without* formatting
etc
to at least keep the data.

In my opinion...the proper way to upgrade win98 to XP is to
first back up the data...and confirm its good.
Export any OE and IE data.(Netscaspe etc)
Then boot with the XP cd
and format the drive NTFS and do a clean install.
Reinstall the apps.
Import OE and IE data.(etc)
Copy the data to the appropriate folders.

Yes, it just may take a bit more work...
but there is little room for failure.
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 5:03:30 PM

The only advantage to formatting ntfs rather converting to ntfs later is
that the files system should run a little faster. However, even that can be
rectified with a boot time defragger such as the one in Diskeeper 9 Pro and
Perfect Disk which can defrag the file system in addition to the files.

This whole thread is simply too esoteric. Veterans to this newsgroup are
contantly encouraging users to back up their systems with all sorts of
backup programs, frequently Acronis or another imaging program. It cannot
be that hard to do, especially if the user has a dvd rewriter or a second
hard drive.

"philo" <philo@privacy.net> wrote in message
news:o X0qhMQHFHA.3008@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in message
> news:o sApNAQHFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> JT wrote:
>>

>> > "Usually" being the operative word. Sorry, but I many others don't
>> > wish to gamble seven plus years of software purchases, updates, and
>> > data on "usually".
>> >

>> What's the gamble? In the rare instances where an upgrade doesn't
>> work, the computer is no worse off than if he'd prepared for a clean
>> installation.
>>

> I think you missed the point...
> although an upgrade generally does complete...
> that does not guarantee a 100% working or stable system.
> If the upgrade "hoses" the system...unless the drive was backed up...
> there is nothing to go back to.
> Unless the data itself was backed up...
> at that point one would have to perform a clean install *without*
> formatting
> etc
> to at least keep the data.
>
> In my opinion...the proper way to upgrade win98 to XP is to
> first back up the data...and confirm its good.
> Export any OE and IE data.(Netscaspe etc)
> Then boot with the XP cd
> and format the drive NTFS and do a clean install.
> Reinstall the apps.
> Import OE and IE data.(etc)
> Copy the data to the appropriate folders.
>
> Yes, it just may take a bit more work...
> but there is little room for failure.

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 5:40:41 PM

philo wrote:

> I think you missed the point...
> although an upgrade generally does complete...
> that does not guarantee a 100% working or stable system.

Neither does a clean installation.

> If the upgrade "hoses" the system...unless the drive was backed up...
> there is nothing to go back to.
> Unless the data itself was backed up...

Which is why one always backs up data before making any serious changes
to an OS, including installing patches and service packs.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:50:36 PM

In news:l94421p7of1tt1175lvte8sg3e2it05ohb@4ax.com,
JT <nomail@ever.com> typed:

> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote:
>
>> Unlike with previous versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP
>> replaces almost everything, and usually works very well.
>
> "Usually" being the operative word. Sorry, but I many others
> don't
> wish to gamble seven plus years of software purchases, updates,
> and
> data on "usually".

I certainly don't think that you should gamble anything, and
nowhere did I suggest that.

>> However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of
>> the
>> need to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before
>> starting
>> to upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like
>> sudden power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the
>> loss of everything. For that reason you should make sure you
>> have
>> backups and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst
>> happens.
>
> The mistake that you and a few others make is the false
> assumption
> that most users have the technical ability to make such
> backups.

I think you miss the critical point entirely. Backup is
essential, whether you are doing an upgrade or not. Not having a
backup is *always* "gambl[ing] seven plus years of software
purchases, updates, and data" and is a foolhardy thing to do.

Although making backups is generally easy and well within the
technical skills of most beginners I know (with a little help to
get started), I make no assumptions about what technical
abilities most users have. But anyone who doesn't have that
ability desparately needs to acquire it. It's not hard to learn
and is a far greater need than upgrading your version of Windows.

> For
> most users, your caveat to "have backups and anything else
> needed to
> reinstall" would be virtually impossible to achieve without
> hands-on
> expert assistance.

Nonsense! That's not at all true in my experience. There may be
an occasional person like that, but the great majority of
beginners I'ved worked with have easily learned to do backups
with just a little help from me.

> No, the safest way to effect an XP Pro upgrade is
> to first have someone who knows what they are doing either
> image the
> drive(s) beforehand and store the image externally or clone the
> drive(s) beforehand. That way, reverting back to a working
> Win98
> system is just a matter of restoring the image or swapping
> drives.

That's one form of backup, and it happens to be a good one for
many people. It's the method I personally use. But it's not the
only choice.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:57:45 PM

In news:eDF5izPHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:

> "Usually works" and "almost as good" are not words in my
> vocabulary!

Then you need to enrich your vocabulary. The point I was making
when I said "usually works" was that because it "usually works,"
it makes sense to try that way first. If it doesn't work, you can
always revert to a clean installation.

Do you own a car? Does it always work or does it "usually work"?
Do you refrain from using it because it only "usually works"?

Is your car a Ford (substitute Chevrolet, Toyota, or whatever you
have)? Why don't you have a Rolls-Royce (substitute Ferrari,
Maserati, or whatever you think is the best)? Your Ford (or
whatever) is only "almost as good."

"Usually works" and "almost as good" are facts of life. Nothing
is guaranteed to work all the time, and very few of us have the
luxury of being able to always buy the best of everything.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:01:31 PM

In news:o X0qhMQHFHA.3008@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:

> "Bruce Chambers" <bruce_a_chambers@h0tmail.com> wrote in
> message
> news:o sApNAQHFHA.3484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> JT wrote:
>>

>>> "Usually" being the operative word. Sorry, but I many others
>>> don't
>>> wish to gamble seven plus years of software purchases,
>>> updates, and
>>> data on "usually".
>>>

>> What's the gamble? In the rare instances where an upgrade
>> doesn't
>> work, the computer is no worse off than if he'd prepared for a
>> clean
>> installation.
>>

> I think you missed the point...
> although an upgrade generally does complete...
> that does not guarantee a 100% working or stable system.
> If the upgrade "hoses" the system...unless the drive was backed
> up...
> there is nothing to go back to.

On the contrary, I think you're the one who missed the point.
Bruce's comment was in reply to JT's reply to my message
recommending at least *trying* an upgrade first, but *only*
after first making a backup. I said "However, don't assume that
doing an upgrade relieves you of the need to backup your data,
etc. before beginning. Before starting to upgrade, it's always
prudent to recognize that things like a sudden power loss can
occur in the middle of it and cause the loss of everything. For
that reason you should make sure you have backups and anything
else you need to reinstall if the worst happens."

Please reply to the newsgroup
February 27, 2005 7:16:13 PM

> philo wrote:
>

> > I think you missed the point...
> > although an upgrade generally does complete...
> > that does not guarantee a 100% working or stable system.
>

> Neither does a clean installation.
>

> > If the upgrade "hoses" the system...unless the drive was backed up...
> > there is nothing to go back to.
> > Unless the data itself was backed up...
>

> Which is why one always backs up data before making any serious changes
> to an OS, including installing patches and service packs.

Hey guys...
you've all made some great points...
and though I may not agree with everyone 100%...
I just wanted to say how refreshing it was to talk to everyone in an
intelligent and cool manner.
None of the stupid name calling and inane comments found on some of the
other news
groups.
A real pleasure
and thanks for the great discussion!
February 27, 2005 8:47:21 PM

> In news:eDF5izPHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:
>
> > "Usually works" and "almost as good" are not words in my
> > vocabulary!
>

> Then you need to enrich your vocabulary. The point I was making
> when I said "usually works" was that because it "usually works,"
> it makes sense to try that way first. If it doesn't work, you can
> always revert to a clean installation.

As long as your important data is backed up...I have no problem with
your statement

> Do you own a car? Does it always work or does it "usually work"?
> Do you refrain from using it because it only "usually works"?
> Is your car a Ford (substitute Chevrolet, Toyota, or whatever you
> have)? Why don't you have a Rolls-Royce (substitute Ferrari,
> Maserati, or whatever you think is the best)? Your Ford (or
> whatever) is only "almost as good."
>
> "Usually works" and "almost as good" are facts of life. Nothing
> is guaranteed to work all the time, and very few of us have the
> luxury of being able to always buy the best of everything.

Now you may not believe this, but I do not own a car (or a TV)...
however i do have a "company van" .It now has close to 90,000 miles on it
and has *never* failed yet...I keep it maintained very well...better than if
I owned my own car.

Same with my computer systems... If one goes down for maintenance or an
upgrade...
I have quite a few more that can go on-line... so I am *never* without a
working computer
here...generally I have over a dozen ready to go on-line at any time.
Also have 3 UPS systems and enough batteries to run everything for over 48
hours.
Maybe I am a bit too over-cautious...
I wear a belt but no suspenders...so as you can see...I am willing to take
an occasional risk :)

here are links to *some* of my backup systems

www.plazaearth.com/philo/comps.jpg

www.plazaearth.com/philo/batt.jpg
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 8:47:22 PM

In news:eIEDraSHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:

>> In news:eDF5izPHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:
>>
>>> "Usually works" and "almost as good" are not words in my
>>> vocabulary!
>>

>> Then you need to enrich your vocabulary. The point I was
>> making
>> when I said "usually works" was that because it "usually
>> works,"
>> it makes sense to try that way first. If it doesn't work, you
>> can
>> always revert to a clean installation.
>>

> As long as your important data is backed up...I have no problem
> with
> your statement

Then it would seem that we basically agree. Having a backup was
an important part of my recommendation.

Please reply to the newsgroup
February 27, 2005 9:28:49 PM

> In news:eIEDraSHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:
>
> > "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> >> In news:eDF5izPHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> >> philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:

> >> Then you need to enrich your vocabulary. The point I was
> >> making
> >> when I said "usually works" was that because it "usually
> >> works,"
> >> it makes sense to try that way first. If it doesn't work, you
> >> can
> >> always revert to a clean installation.
> >>

> > As long as your important data is backed up...I have no problem
> > with
> > your statement
>

> Then it would seem that we basically agree. Having a backup was
> an important part of my recommendation.

yes..
it was not all that long ago that i had an extreme phobia of computers
and was just using a manual typewriter...
then thanks to my girlfriend who gave me her old computer...
i was bitten by the bug...and lurked (and occasionally posted) on some of
the win98
groups...
i got a *lot* of good advice from you (and others) and doubt if i ever
thanked you

so now, five years later: Thanks!!!!
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 11:27:42 PM

In news:ewg$1xSHFHA.2740@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:
>> In news:eIEDraSHFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> philo <philo@privacy.net> typed:
>>
>>> "Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in
>>> message

>>> As long as your important data is backed up...I have no
>>> problem
>>> with
>>> your statement
>>

>> Then it would seem that we basically agree. Having a backup
>> was
>> an important part of my recommendation.
>>

> yes..
> it was not all that long ago that i had an extreme phobia of
> computers
> and was just using a manual typewriter...
> then thanks to my girlfriend who gave me her old computer...
> i was bitten by the bug...and lurked (and occasionally posted)
> on
> some of the win98
> groups...
> i got a *lot* of good advice from you (and others) and doubt if
> i ever
> thanked you
>
> so now, five years later: Thanks!!!!

Thanks very much for the kind words, and you're most welcome.
!