antennaweb.org confusion : Pl help

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 5, 2004 4:44:53 AM

I was looking at the channel listing for our area ( ZIP 30024 ).
I had the following confusion. If somebody could pl clarify them -
even partially - I will be very grateful.
1. What is the difference between "Channel" ( 4th column )
and "Frequency Assiganment" ( last column ). For the analog stations
they were both the same. Does this mean that DTV can assign
the "channels" to an arbitrary channels, irrespective of the
frequency of transmission ?
Some of them ( Eg : - WTBS [ channel 17 ]) gives "channel" as a
whole number ( 17 ) for the analog transmission, whereas the DTV is
given as a close decimal number ( 17.1 )

2. Also somebody told me that most of the stations are UHF and that
there is no need to spend money on a VHF antenna. Is this true (
both with respect to DTV and analog stations ).

3. In general, are VHF antennas more costly than the UHF ones ?

4. Are VHF antennas more sensitive to direction than the UHF ones.

Thanks for reading.
--nw
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 11:47:15 AM

"Norris Watkins" <norris_watkins@hotmail.com> wrote (in part):

>1. What is the difference between "Channel" ( 4th column )
>and "Frequency Assiganment" ( last column ). For the analog stations
>they were both the same. Does this mean that DTV can assign
>the "channels" to an arbitrary channels, irrespective of the
>frequency of transmission ?

Yes. In my area, WRGB (CBS) broadcasts analog on channel 6. Their
digital carrier is on channel 39, but its two channels, one HD, one
SD, appear as 6-1 and 6-2. Actually, 6-2 is UPN, probably because the
local affiliate has no money for their own digital transmission (they
can barely manage analog). There's also a 6-3 but I've never seen
anything on it.

>Some of them ( Eg : - WTBS [ channel 17 ]) gives "channel" as a
>whole number ( 17 ) for the analog transmission, whereas the DTV is
>given as a close decimal number ( 17.1 )

As noted above, digital transmissions can have multiple channels per
carrier. Most seem to be doing one HD (1080i or 720p) and one SD
(480i).

>2. Also somebody told me that most of the stations are UHF and that
>there is no need to spend money on a VHF antenna. Is this true (
>both with respect to DTV and analog stations ).

AntennaWeb says you have two VHF digitals, NBC Atlanta on 10 and PBS
Athens on 12. You also have PBS Atlanta on UHF, so you might settle
for that. They probably have different schedules, though. I've read
that VHF digitals are temporary and eventually they will all be UHF.
You'll have to decide if it's worth it to you. But unless you're in a
shadow you shouldn't need much of an antenna to get VHF digitals 25
miles away. Rabbit ears might even work; worth a try.

>3. In general, are VHF antennas more costly than the UHF ones ?

Yes, because the elements are bigger. But don't pay more for a
"digital" antenna; there's no difference.

>4. Are VHF antennas more sensitive to direction than the UHF ones.

I'd say less so. Also less trouble with hills and buildings in the
way. How's your reception on analog channels 2 and 5? They seem to
be located about where the NBC digital is.

E. Ogden <eoyymm@nycap.rr.com>
where yymm is the current year and month
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 5:02:01 PM

"Norris Watkins" <norris_watkins@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I was looking at the channel listing for our area ( ZIP 30024 ).
> I had the following confusion. If somebody could pl clarify them -
> even partially - I will be very grateful.
> 1. What is the difference between "Channel" ( 4th column )
> and "Frequency Assiganment" ( last column ). For the analog stations
> they were both the same. Does this mean that DTV can assign
> the "channels" to an arbitrary channels, irrespective of the
> frequency of transmission ?
> Some of them ( Eg : - WTBS [ channel 17 ]) gives "channel" as a
> whole number ( 17 ) for the analog transmission, whereas the DTV is
> given as a close decimal number ( 17.1 )

Yep... you got it.

DTV channel ID's don't have to be the same as their frequency "channels"...
so here in Richmond

Analog channel 6 (CBS) is DT channel 25-1 which really is UHF channel 25
but analog channel 12 (NBC) is DT channel 12-1 but actually is on UHF
channel 54
and of course the local NBC affiliate multicasts the local radar on 12-3 as
well

What could be simpler? Especially when you are initially tuning in and
setting up your antenna.

> 2. Also somebody told me that most of the stations are UHF and that
> there is no need to spend money on a VHF antenna. Is this true (
> both with respect to DTV and analog stations ).

True for my area - all the HD channels are UHF

> 3. In general, are VHF antennas more costly than the UHF ones ?

don't know

!