Sign in with
Your question

PC Access/Permissions Problem?

Last response: in Networking
October 11, 2006 9:49:46 AM

Hi guys (gals)...

This could possibly have went in the wireless section, but I'm sure it's not a wireless only related problem....

I’ve got a very frustrating problem since I reinstalled my PC last week; here’s the setup:

1 x XP Pro PC
2 x Wireless Laptops (XP Pro/Home)
1 x Linksys WRT54G Router
2 x dbox2 (Used as streaming server for video/audio to TV’s)
1 x NAS Drive

Everything was working fine until I reinstalled the PC last week, now the laptops can’t access/show anything on the PC, although the PC can see and access them. Both laptops can access the NAS drive/dbox terminals and each other. The laptops can ping the PC, but with a bit of packet loss, especially on the first attempt.

The dbox’s can access the video file shares on the PC as they play fine, so no problem there. The dbox’s run a small version of Linux, so the share on the PC is mounted under Linux as a network volume.

The normal configuration is as follows:
Router – 192.168.0.1 (DHCP for wireless clients from 192.168.0.100 upwards)
PC - static IP – 192.168.0.5
Dbox1 – static IP – 192.168.0.10
Dbox2 – static IP – 192.168.0.15
NAS Drive – static IP – 192.168.0.20
Laptops – DHCP
Subnet: 255.255.255.0 for all clients.

I’ve checked the IP’s/subnets/workgroup names about a hundred times now, and also changed the workgroup name. I’ve also tried configuring everything to both static IP and DHCP without any success. I can access the PC though VNC both over the LAN and over the Internet. There are no firewalls enabled on any of the XP machines. I’ve also tried the XP Network Setup Wizard. The error I get when trying to access anything on the PC from any of the laptops is:

Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network administrator.

I'm very much open to any ideas, as I'm a bit short on them myself now...

Thanks
October 11, 2006 5:05:23 PM

Windows XP Pro has much more sophisticated user accounts and file / folder /drive access privileges than XP home. (Well, they are mostly there in XP home, but hidden from the normal user interface).

You have to specifically enable the fully open file sharing with Win XP Pro. It will default to user permissions required.
October 12, 2006 3:08:44 PM

One other thing I didn't think of at the time of my earlier reply...

Sometimes this is the generic message Windows gives you when all it really means is "I can't find the drive or folder you are trying to connect with."

This can happen if one end of your shares has dropped its connection to the other. Try either rebooting the computers or disabling and reenabling your network connections on each computer using either the little network connection icons in your system tray or using Control Panel.
!