Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
ok out of another thread i thought i would start this one, i would like people to post a screen shot of there raid 5 array performance using HDTach v3.

could you post the make of the drives and the name and model of the controller pls, ill start things off..

Drives: 4x 320GB Seagates 7200.10
Controller: onboard Sil3114

untitled1ix9.gif

basically i would like to see other peoples results and the varying performance of different setups all in one place so that those who want to upgrade to RAID 5 can see what works best. please do not post any spam or start a "why doesnt mine perform as well as his/hers" in this thread the "new thread" button can be found at the top if you realise you have a problem :)

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I wonder how much your specs and speeds would change if you had a dedicated XOR processor...

Out of sheer curiosity, why did you setup a RAID 5 setup?

dropadrop

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2003
Read speeds don't make very much of a difference with RAID 5, it's writes where the differences emerge. Writing to RAID 5 involves both writing to the array, and writing parity information to the disk. Reading is just reading...

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I wonder how much your specs and speeds would change if you had a dedicated XOR processor...

well thats why i started this thread in the first place.

Out of sheer curiosity, why did you setup a RAID 5 setup?

i set up a RAID 5 cause i needed a large drive to store all my files, i also wanted to make sure that my files would be ok if a HDD drive failed, i am not using raid 5 for speed or as a file server, my two main reasons are large drive with data redundency. RAID 5 is perfect for that.

take a look i have alot of tv shows and music and thats what the raid 5 is for in the future i plan to use this computer as a media server rather than my gaming rig. when my next build comes allong i will upgrade everything.

heres a pic of how much spaace i have left 8O see what i mean most of that is TV shows, that i can no longer watch cause i no longer have Sky.

spaceix9.gif

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
That is a legit reason, I was really just curious. So many people use it just because it is available without thinking it through. You seem to be on the ball with it all and a legit purpose. Might want a few more hard drives lol. :)

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
That is a legit reason, I was really just curious. So many people use it just because it is available without thinking it through. You seem to be on the ball with it all and a legit purpose. Might want a few more hard drives lol. :)

Very true, I myself am putting together a RAID config.... using a SAS controller (my boot drives are SAS but my RAID 5 is just SATA for sheer capacity) and I'm doing a lot of.... well somewhat important stuff. I have TONS of .wav files on there... and lots of HD video which I don't want to lose... although backup is still necessary.

Once I get it setup I'll post some speeds and the OP and I can compare them, but overall those speeds don't look too bad.

dropadrop

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2003
The XOR processor makes a difference during writes, not reads. During reading there is no need to check parity. The main difference will probably be cpu-usage during the writes (though a high end card should also be faster).

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
i really need someone other ppl to post there pics, it cant just stay on mine, i understand the whole read/write thing, im not fused about speed for me, i simply want to kno what the differences are between different set ups, where never gonna find that out if no one else posts a pic. :twisted: