question about Macs

mrmjs

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Hello,
I have a few friends who are graphic designers who all use Mac Pro's and all I ever hear from them is how great the MAC is and how bad a PC is.. well I just dont see it. I've used the Mac for Photoshop CS2, Flash and Dreamweaver and they dont seem to run any better on a mac as they do on my pc.. so whats the real story here??

also, the Mac PRO is $2500 with these specs

* Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors
* 1GB memory (667MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
* NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT graphics with 256MB memory
* 250GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1
* 16x double-layer SuperDrive

Says two 2.66GHz Dual-Cores.. that means it has two cpu's with two cores right? giving you 4 cores total??

revel911

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Yes, 2 Processors with Dual cores.

You know, I am a Graphci Designer and I went at it with a sign shop I order from b/c they use Macs. Mac people are always overzealous about their product. I have used both and can't tell a difference.

Eviltwin17

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2006
there is no difference, the reason mac users hate pc's so much is because mac OSx is better than windows. Also the fact that editing and stuff used to be alot better on macs, nowadays though its not so much. The ease of use is the only difference now.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
there is no difference, the reason mac users hate pc's so much is because mac OSx is better than windows. Also the fact that editing and stuff used to be alot better on macs, nowadays though its not so much. The ease of use is the only difference now.

They claim OSX is better than Windows. I disagree.

A lot of Mac fans are just fanboys that like to claim that their way is better. Ignore them, find what works best for you and what you prefer.

You can build a comparable or better system yourself for the price of those Mac Pros.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Well I wouldn't say it's the only difference now. I'm using a pc and have always built and bought pc's since I was 10 years old...22 now...

But my brother goes to artcenter in pasadena california and has a mac pro. He had a g4 which had a very odd problem of freezing...took it in...they replaced 1600 dollars worth of parts...replaced the mobo...ram...and 2 g5 cpu's. Brought it back and same problem again...so they took his computer and gave him a mac pro of equal value that he spent.

IMO that's one difference about apple warranties that are nicer. Just take it to any apple store and they'll replace the parts if you have their apple care warranty....unlike my pc problems which I've gone through the mac solution was nicer..

but besides that there are differences in the systems them selves. One is the cash value..macs cost too damn much...If I was to build my self a mac I'd spend 6,800 WHILE holding myself back. For my pc builds I can free myself and go cutting edge on everything with max amount of ram and mass storage devices for 3-4 g's...

But one thing that's overlooked is if you wanted a mac and a pc...you'd have to dump an equal ammount into each..but now with bootcamp you can run a pc environment on the same machine so that slightly makes it a more mind pleasing aspect since you have to put down so much cash..but I still prefer pc's. On the performance aspect...I've worked with my bros mac...I haven't really worked with too many mac based applications although I want to..DYING to touch final cut pro since I'm an editor...I've been editing since I was 12...But he uses it so often plus I don't want to take up too much of his storage since my projects are enormous. But I will say that I did use windows xp on the mac through bootcamp...I also used premiere 6.5 during this time and it ran without flaws...No problems on the bootcamp aspect at all...it was just like working on my windows machine...and god did that sucker render fast...and I mean blazing fast...But I think that has to do more with the core architecture...

Overall it really depends on your tastes. I will admit that the mac's are well built machines...their customer service via phone and warranty situations is top notch...It all depends if you have the cash....OS X is indefinitely better then windows that's for sure...afterall...Mac os x is powered off unix. But once again it's all about taste and money...I prefer windows and find it easier to browse through files since I know how to work around everything....Probably the same for those who use macs...But I have to admit...if I had the cash to switch to a mac I would in a heartbeat...Be able to work in os x on my video projects would be a dream...As well as having the ability to switch onto windows to use the video applications that I have been for ages as well as being able to game from time to time on something besides quake 3 is a nice touch too ^.^.

But yea...atm pc for me...I don't have the funds to dump in 6 g's + per new computer...Also can't upgrade for crap...Upgrading a mac basically means tossing it out and getting a new one...But hopefully since they have intel based cpu's, apple will slowly adapt upgrading...But I doubt it...they make too much money this way...I'm happy as I am now atm...on a pc....3-4 grand each computer gets me the enthusiast package I've grown custom too...As well as being to overclock on water cooling to get a taste of the future is a nice touch as well...^^

Joe_The_Dragon

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hello,
I have a few friends who are graphic designers who all use Mac Pro's and all I ever hear from them is how great the MAC is and how bad a PC is.. well I just dont see it. I've used the Mac for Photoshop CS2, Flash and Dreamweaver and they dont seem to run any better on a mac as they do on my pc.. so whats the real story here??

Says two 2.66GHz Dual-Cores.. that means it has two cpu's with two cores right? giving you 4 cores total??
You shuold have 2GB ram and when CS3 comes out it will run at full speed

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Hello,

2500 and you only get a gig of ram? That's lame. 7300GT sucks too, what a shitty system. Welcome to why I've never been supportive of macs, overpricing very common hardware for the sake of the OS.

People bitch about the price of Windows? Try paying 2500 for a piece of hardware that would cost you no more than 2 grand, 2/3 of it being in motherboard and processor. How much did you pay for that OS again? About $500.