HDTV compatible receiver

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 5, 2004 8:50:09 AM

Hi all,
I am researching receivers for my apartment and came across a Yamaha
receiver. In the specs, it had a note 'HDTV compatible: 720p/1080i.' I
assumed that all receivers are capable of working w/ HDTV, as long as they
have component inputs for a HD STB. Can someone clarify this for me? TIA.

cb =)
July 5, 2004 3:41:46 PM

"catbob" <catbob1001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
> I am researching receivers for my apartment and came across a Yamaha
> receiver. In the specs, it had a note 'HDTV compatible: 720p/1080i.' I
> assumed that all receivers are capable of working w/ HDTV, as long as they
> have component inputs for a HD STB. Can someone clarify this for me?
TIA.

> cb =)

There not compatible unless they say hd compatible or 'wideband' component.
Yamaha's RX-Z9 kicks ass btw.
Anonymous
July 5, 2004 7:28:52 PM

catbob wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am researching receivers for my apartment and came across a Yamaha
> receiver. In the specs, it had a note 'HDTV compatible: 720p/1080i.'
> I assumed that all receivers are capable of working w/ HDTV, as long
> as they have component inputs for a HD STB. Can someone clarify this
> for me? TIA.
>
> cb =)

Some units only have the bandwidth for 480p/480i component switching, and
not 1080i.
July 6, 2004 2:34:50 AM

"L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in news:UseGc.12173$JR4.10318
@attbi_s54:

> catbob wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I am researching receivers for my apartment and came across a Yamaha
>> receiver. In the specs, it had a note 'HDTV compatible: 720p/1080i.'
>> I assumed that all receivers are capable of working w/ HDTV, as long
>> as they have component inputs for a HD STB. Can someone clarify this
>> for me? TIA.
>>
>> cb =)
>
> Some units only have the bandwidth for 480p/480i component switching, and
> not 1080i.

Yep....my old Sony will only switch S-Video so I do the switching of the
video on the TV and just switch audio with the stereo receiver.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

July 6, 2004 9:56:07 AM

> Yep....my old Sony will only switch S-Video so I do the switching of the
> video on the TV and just switch audio with the stereo receiver.

but refering to component video switching; some new models avalible now
still wont switch HD component, only standard def SD signals.

For cheap switching, I use a Pelican video switcher PL-957 that has 8
wideband component inputs, 8 svideo, 8 composite, and 3 also have
toslink(optical) and ethernet switching.
all for around $90 online.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 11:19:51 AM

"j" <sniffinpoprocksReMoVe@hotmail.com> wrote in news:S9rGc.114343
$ef4.12677@news.easynews.com:

>> Yep....my old Sony will only switch S-Video so I do the switching of
the
>> video on the TV and just switch audio with the stereo receiver.
>
> but refering to component video switching; some new models avalible now
> still wont switch HD component, only standard def SD signals.

Yes, I understand the problem.

> For cheap switching, I use a Pelican video switcher PL-957 that has 8
> wideband component inputs, 8 svideo, 8 composite, and 3 also have
> toslink(optical) and ethernet switching.
> all for around $90 online.

Hmmmm....sounds like that may be what I eventually will need here. Small
apartment, big sound system and 27" Tantus HD TV with only one set of
component inputs (which is a drag, as I have to either unplug and replug
or use an S-Video pipe for my DVD player). I'm lazy so it's the S-Video
pipe, as the component is sitting on the SAT receiver's output.

But I run digital audio (optical from the sat and wire from the DVD) to
my stereo and do the video switching with the TV. I'm looking at a newer
SONY amp (brand new actually) that has some component switching, so I
will have to make sure that its switch is a high-bandwidth one or it
won't be worth the extra cash.

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

July 7, 2004 5:30:08 AM

Dave Oldridge wrote:
> "L Alpert" <alpertl@xxcomcast.net> wrote in news:UseGc.12173$JR4.10318
> @attbi_s54:
>
>> catbob wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I am researching receivers for my apartment and came across a Yamaha
>>> receiver. In the specs, it had a note 'HDTV compatible:
>>> 720p/1080i.' I assumed that all receivers are capable of working w/
>>> HDTV, as long as they have component inputs for a HD STB. Can
>>> someone clarify this for me? TIA.
>>>
>>> cb =)
>>
>> Some units only have the bandwidth for 480p/480i component
>> switching, and not 1080i.
>
> Yep....my old Sony will only switch S-Video so I do the switching of
> the video on the TV and just switch audio with the stereo receiver.

My Marantz has HD switching, though I have enough inputs right now on the TV
for what I need. Maybe I'll change it in the future.....
!