Any Rights enabling a user to start/stop some services on ..

Hi!

I would like to grant 1 user the proper rights for him to be able to start and stop services on 1 of my DC!!
Could someone tell me if it is possible to do it?
I took a look at the System Policies but it does not seem that it is possible to do it!

In case it is possible to grant a user with the proper rights for him or her to be able to start & stop services, would it be possible to grant a user with some rights that would enable him or her to start & stop ONLY some slected services?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help.
Julien.

some particular
2 answers Last reply
More about rights enabling user start stop services

    Hi Julien,

    yes this is possible. Open Domain Controller Group Policy and click Edit.
    Drill down Computer configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security
    Settings -> System Services -> Select the service you would like to modify
    and double click on it. Click Define Policy in enable Automatic (if that is
    what you need). Then click on the button Edit Security and add user that you
    need to grant permission to start and stop the service and give him
    appropriate rights. Once this is done, close Group Policy editor and refresh
    group policy on DC. Once you are finished ... test :-)

    Mike

    Julien wrote:

    > I would like to grant 1 user the proper rights for him to be able to start and stop services on 1 of my DC!!
    > Could someone tell me if it is possible to do it?
    > I took a look at the System Policies but it does not seem that it is possible to do it!
    >
    > In case it is possible to grant a user with the proper rights for him or her to be able to start & stop services, would it be possible to grant a user with some rights that would enable him or her to start & stop ONLY some slected services?
    Hi

    Relevant for WinXP/Win2k3 as well:

    HOW TO: Grant Users Rights to Manage Services in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=288129

    For method 3 in the article above:

    A new, bug-fixed version of SubInACL.exe is available for download here
    (Win2k/WinXP/Win2k3):

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b

    SETACL (freeware) at http://setacl.sourceforge.net/ can also set permissions
    on local or remote Win32 services.