IPAQ HX2110 - Battery Problem?

May 6, 2005 11:35:06 PM

I charged my IPAQ last night, and used it a few times at work today without
any problems.

When I got home tonight, I found that the battery had completely flattened
itself - and the machine did a hard reset as soon as I plugged it into the
charger (the backup battery remained fully charged, but the machine still
lost its settings). I back-up fairly regularly, so didn't lose much data,
but I'm now starting to doubt if I can rely on the machine.
Is this normal? (my old Palm used to do this about on very rare occasions
(on average once per year)) or have I got a faulty unit.

PS - While I am writing, there is another problem. Once or twice per week,
the machine won't start up when I turn it on - but a soft reset "cures" the
problem and gets it going. As a long time Windows user, I'm cynical enough
to think that Windows Mobile is just less stable than Palm as an operating
system - but is this the real reason. How does other people's experience
compare to mine?

Bob.
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 12:17:46 PM

Bob - I think that just about every PPC user will drain
his or her battery at least once - causing a hard reset.
It's sort of an initiation thing into the PPC realm.

You really have to watch those batteries, I carry a spare
in my pocket at all times. Make sure you have your power
settings set to turn the device off after a few minutes
of non-use.

If you have wireless, be aware that these will drain a
batter at least 25% faster.

Soft resets are a staple of PPC life - you will use them
quite frequently, this is the nature of the PPC. Is it
an OS problem - possibly - but one that the PPC user
comes to expect. You will find that after changing
certain settings it's best to do a soft reset.

HTH, and YMMV

xfiler

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:22:10 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Just to be clear, the battery was fully charged the night before. I only
used the IPAQ a couple of times that day, so it spent nearly all day in the
Standby state. When I used it, I didn't notice anything significant about
the state of the battery charge - so it probably remained pretty near to
full charge. Despite this, it somehow went flat in the few hours between my
last use and when I tried to use it at home that night.

It gets more confusing. That night I fully charged the battery - but after
leaving the machine on standby the charge dropped to 70% after a few hours.
I forced a hard reset, charged the battery and since then its now working OK
(I lose 10% or so per day in normal use).

The only factor I can think of is that before the incident I had turned on
"USB Charging" - and left it turned off after forcing the hard reset. Is
there a bug in the implementation of this facility

PS - Re soft resets, my previous 2 PDAs have been Palm based, and soft reset
was a very, very rare event. Are PPCs really that much less stable than
Palms?

"xfiler" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Bob - I think that just about every PPC user will drain
> his or her battery at least once - causing a hard reset.
> It's sort of an initiation thing into the PPC realm.
>
> You really have to watch those batteries, I carry a spare
> in my pocket at all times. Make sure you have your power
> settings set to turn the device off after a few minutes
> of non-use.
>
> If you have wireless, be aware that these will drain a
> batter at least 25% faster.
>
> Soft resets are a staple of PPC life - you will use them
> quite frequently, this is the nature of the PPC. Is it
> an OS problem - possibly - but one that the PPC user
> comes to expect. You will find that after changing
> certain settings it's best to do a soft reset.
>
> HTH, and YMMV
>
> xfiler

May 10, 2005 10:22:11 PM

First to the batter issue - when you put the PPC in
standby mode, it's still "on" in a way - so any apps you
have running in the background are still running. When I
am going to put my PPC away for a couple of hours, I
always go to start > settings > system > memory > running
programs, and turn off all running in the background. I
also have turned off all alarms, etc. as I don't use them.

Second - it's not that Windows Mobile is unstable, but
due to the nature of the PPC, and the way memory is
allocated, etc. you will find it quite common to do soft
resets of your device. I find that I will usually do at
least 1 soft reset per day, if not more.

HTH and YMMV,

xfiler

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:22:12 PM

<paste>
I find that I will usually do at least 1 soft reset per day, if not more.
</paste>

Once per day? Wow... Are you almost out of memory on the device?

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

> First to the batter issue - when you put the PPC in
> standby mode, it's still "on" in a way - so any apps you
> have running in the background are still running. When I
> am going to put my PPC away for a couple of hours, I
> always go to start > settings > system > memory > running
> programs, and turn off all running in the background. I
> also have turned off all alarms, etc. as I don't use them.
>
> Second - it's not that Windows Mobile is unstable, but
> due to the nature of the PPC, and the way memory is
> allocated, etc. you will find it quite common to do soft
> resets of your device. I find that I will usually do at
> least 1 soft reset per day, if not more.
>
> HTH and YMMV,
>
> xfiler

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:22:13 PM

Nope, I have about 34M free. But, sometimes after using
wifi, I soft reset, seems it still uses some memory even
not running. I also have some older PPC programs not
designed for WM2003SE that hang the Dell X50v.

xfiler

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:22:14 PM

Gotcha. That makes sense on the older apps causing issues.

Just curious... thanks for indulging! :-D

Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Senior Editor / Owner

> Nope, I have about 34M free. But, sometimes after using
> wifi, I soft reset, seems it still uses some memory even
> not running. I also have some older PPC programs not
> designed for WM2003SE that hang the Dell X50v.
>
> xfiler

Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:22:15 PM

Glad to help, just for the OP edification: The Windows
Mobile platform is quite stable in my mind, it's the
architecture that requires the need for the soft reset.

HTH,

xfiler

!