COMPUTER DOSENT STAY ON!!!!

bteagle93

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
Buot it last ngiht...everythign was fine. Installed XP and it was all cool thne went into properties and saw that there was only 512 mb. of RAm in and i have 1 gig. unplugged psu. made sure the ram was inserted correct. opushed it in. THEN, i turned it on, and it kept going on and off, and dosent stay on!!!!!!! whats the matter??? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
(either-PSU, mobo...or i dotn know...)

Run memtest86+ on it. If it has errors get it replaced.
Take out the good stick and leave the bad one in. Boot from a floppy or CD and try to run memtest86+.
Try running the computer without the bad memory stick.

hcforde

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Are the 2 sticks in dual channel mode? If so are they a matched pair? If not a matched pair it can cause problems-on some motherboards. See if it will boot and run with just one stick then try the other stick.

Next look at Power supply. It may be going out. Have a spare one around? You may even want to do this first if this is a system that has been running ok and now you are having problems.

PC_Side_Line

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
thats a safety feature from the motherboard! you need to triple check all terminal jack connections for proper polarity, such as power switch, reset switch, hdd led, power led etc

check all the fans too, and dont just reseat the memory, take your mem out, double check the label on it, then check the correct orientation of it b4 u put it back in.

Check all the hdd cables, signal and power for correct orientation.

pin 1 on a drive cable is where the red line on the cable is.

most hdd's have their pin 1 toward the center, but do check the diagrams on all ur drives for proper pin orientation too.

!!! Place any loose power cables in a rubber band or nylon tie and make sure they dont touch any metal part!!

Oh i forgot to mention, if ur psu has a separte on off switch on the back of it, then this is a very good feature to have! Before u do anything inside ur pc, u obiously shut off the pc BUT ALSO TURN OFF THE REAR POWER SWITCH! And be sure ur body has no static electricity by grounding yourself first.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Well the first thing you do when having such a problem is clock your cpu down to stock, then see if your having the same problem.
Are you?
Most likely your cpu is overheating and shutting itself off. If your still having this problem at stock clocks, then your cpu hsf is probably not installed correctly.
What is a NZXT Apollo?
Try one stick of ram at a time.

If it is still doing it, I'd remove the CPU and HSF, clean both with rubbing alcohol and reapply thermal paste

rahul_cracker

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
yes please bring everything to stock speeds and seat 1 ram at a time check for stability may be the psu is really not giving you enough power for that overclock .so check all factors