User Rights on Local Machine and Installing USB Device Dri..

On Windows 2000 or XP operating system. I find I am required to load the USB device drivers for the Handycam on a regular basis. This isn't a problem if you have administrative rights - but those accounts with user rights (or even power user rights) do not have sufficient privileges to load the USB drivers. The drivers for the Sony Digital Camera automatically load on XP while the Handycam drivers do not. Neither the Handycam nor the digital camera will load on 2000. I am the technology coordinator for my school system and need the students (who have user rights) to be able to use the equipment without me having to assign them administrative rights. Any suggestions?

By default only administrator can load and unload device driver. But you
can go to user rights and change this option to all users. So that all can
load drivers

Setting User Rights in Windows 2000
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Local Security
Policy.
Double-click Security Settings, double-click Local Policies, and then
double-click User Rights Assignment.
Double-click the user right you want to change.
( Load and unload device driver)
Click Add, and then click the accounts to which you want to assign the
right.
( add for all user)
Click OK, and then click OK again.
To confirm the changes have taken effect locally, close the Local Security
Policy window and then open it. The newly assigned rights should show under
the Effective Settings column.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;220019&Product=win20
00#2

Subbu