User Rights and Installing USB Device Drivers

On Windows 2000 or XP operating system. I find I am required to load the USB device drivers for the Handycam on a regular basis. This isn't a problem if you have administrative rights - but those accounts with user rights (or even power user rights) do not have sufficient privileges to load the USB drivers. The drivers for the Sony Digital Camera automatically load on XP while the Handycam drivers do not. Neither the Handycam nor the digital camera will load on 2000. I am the technology coordinator for my school system and need the students (who have user rights) to be able to use the equipment without me having to assign them administrative rights. Any suggestions?
1 answer Last reply
More about user rights installing device drivers

    In Local Security Policy security settings/local policies/user rights there is a user
    right for "load and unload device drivers" which may help with plug and play devices.
    You can add users/groups to that user right. You can also configure that user right
    via Group Policy at the domain/OU level for computers within the scope of influence
    of the policy. See the link below for definition of user rights in W2K. I would make
    sure that only administrators have that user right on servers or any other computers
    where regular users do not need that user right as it could possibly be abused. ---
    Steve

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/distsys/part5/dsgappd.mspx

    "CS Hosey" <CSHosey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > On Windows 2000 or XP operating system. I find I am required to load the USB
    device drivers for the Handycam on a regular basis. This isn't a problem if you have
    administrative rights - but those accounts with user rights (or even power user
    rights) do not have sufficient privileges to load the USB drivers. The drivers for
    the Sony Digital Camera automatically load on XP while the Handycam drivers do not.
    Neither the Handycam nor the digital camera will load on 2000. I am the technology
    coordinator for my school system and need the students (who have user rights) to be
    able to use the equipment without me having to assign them administrative rights.
    Any suggestions?

Drivers USB Devices Windows XP Windows