Aribeth a bit overpowered?

Hey there

I just finished HOTU, or more precisely, aribeth fininished HOTU for me. The
heavily damage reducted Mephistoles wasn't very impressed by the hits of my
level 25 monk (2 or 3 damage per hit on average), but aribeth on the other
hand kicked his ass by taking swings of 8 or 9 damage at him, not missing
much of her attacks.

The moment I took aritbeth as my henchmen, I felt more like I was HER
henchmen, since she finished off her opponents at the same speed as I did,
sometimes even faster. (it was not like I couldn't handle them, she just did
it better ;-p) Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth overpowered as
a henchmen, or just powerful?

Just felt like asking some opinions ;-p
24 answers Last reply
More about aribeth overpowered

    HotU Spoilers Ahead

    ikke wrote:
    > Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth overpowered as
    > a henchmen, or just powerful?

    Depends on your class, I guess. I played through once with an
    almost-pure paladin (had 2 levels of fighter) and a fighter/weapon
    master. I was mowing down enemies so quick (especially with the F/WM)
    that I didn't notice Aribeth being particularly efficacious. I mainly
    drug her along for the little mênage à trois with her an Nat. ;-)
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    SPOILER SPACE

    ikke wrote:
    > Hey there
    >
    > I just finished HOTU, or more precisely, aribeth fininished HOTU for me. The
    > heavily damage reducted Mephistoles wasn't very impressed by the hits of my
    > level 25 monk (2 or 3 damage per hit on average), but aribeth on the other
    > hand kicked his ass by taking swings of 8 or 9 damage at him, not missing
    > much of her attacks.
    >
    > The moment I took aritbeth as my henchmen, I felt more like I was HER
    > henchmen, since she finished off her opponents at the same speed as I did,
    > sometimes even faster. (it was not like I couldn't handle them, she just did
    > it better ;-p) Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth overpowered as
    > a henchmen, or just powerful?
    >
    > Just felt like asking some opinions ;-p

    I never got to find out, because Meph always persuaded her to his side! :(

    Barry Scott Will explained on 4/23/2005 :
    > HotU Spoilers Ahead

    > ikke wrote:
    >> Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth overpowered as a henchmen,
    >> or just powerful?
    >

    > Depends on your class, I guess. I played through once with an almost-pure
    > paladin (had 2 levels of fighter) and a fighter/weapon master. I was mowing
    > down enemies so quick (especially with the F/WM) that I didn't notice Aribeth
    > being particularly efficacious. I mainly drug her along for the little mênage
    > à trois with her an Nat. ;-)

    I agree... I had little trouble with either my cleric or my paladin in
    the last batle in HotU and I'm doing monk in the OC now, so it'll be a
    while before I get to HotU with him. I used both Ari and Nat also in
    both cases and thought they were luggage. Was there a big difference in
    your/her equipment or STR?

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Dawnseeker" <nospam_dawnseeker3@excite.com> schreef in bericht
    > Barry Scott Will explained on 4/23/2005 :
    >> HotU Spoilers Ahead

    >> ikke wrote:
    >>> Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth overpowered as a
    >>> henchmen, or just powerful?
    >>

    >> Depends on your class, I guess. I played through once with an almost-pure
    >> paladin (had 2 levels of fighter) and a fighter/weapon master. I was
    >> mowing down enemies so quick (especially with the F/WM) that I didn't
    >> notice Aribeth being particularly efficacious. I mainly drug her along
    >> for the little mênage à trois with her an Nat. ;-)
    >

    > I agree... I had little trouble with either my cleric or my paladin in the
    > last batle in HotU and I'm doing monk in the OC now, so it'll be a while
    > before I get to HotU with him. I used both Ari and Nat also in both cases
    > and thought they were luggage. Was there a big difference in your/her
    > equipment or STR?

    Well, since I used unarmed strike (I WAS a monk afterall) there was little
    to compare. I did give aribeth some kickass sword/shield though ;-p her
    strength was somewhat higher also I think, but not very much. Maybe this
    difference became somewhat bigger because of her divine might abilities,
    which upgraded her weapons even further ;-p (+4 enhancement + 7enhancement
    is, like, + 11 enhancement.... and keen... and some extra damage (2d sonic
    or so I believe, don't know it by heart ;-p) that makes her weapon very
    useful....)

    > --
    > As we passed on
    > It seemed as if those scenes
    > Of visionary enchantment
    > Would never have an end.
    >
    > --- Meriwether Lewis.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message
    > HotU Spoilers Ahead

    > ikke wrote:
    > > Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth overpowered as
    > > a henchmen, or just powerful?
    >

    > Depends on your class, I guess. I played through once with an
    > almost-pure paladin (had 2 levels of fighter) and a fighter/weapon
    > master. I was mowing down enemies so quick (especially with the F/WM)
    > that I didn't notice Aribeth being particularly efficacious. I mainly
    > drug her along for the little mênage à trois with her an Nat. ;-)

    Man, I gotta learn to start talking to my henchwomen. The only action my
    ranger got was with a really short hooker, and all she did was talk a lot
    and then pass out.
    -bc

    > --
    > Barry Scott Will
    > Pyric RPG Publications
    > http://www.pyric.com/
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:22:34 -0500, "bc" <nomail@please.com> wrote:

    >Man, I gotta learn to start talking to my henchwomen. The only action my
    >ranger got was with a really short hooker, and all she did was talk a lot
    >and then pass out.

    You don't actually get them as blatantly as you do the hookers from
    chapter 1, but romantic relationships with several characters are
    possible.

    From examining the files it looks like there's also a possible
    relationship with the spymaster in chapter 2 and beyond. There's
    Aribeth in both chapter 2 and HOTU. There's Valen. Numerous reports
    have told me that Nat is also available but I haven't tried it yet.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:01:35 -0400, John Salerno
    <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >I never got to find out, because Meph always persuaded her to his side! :(

    That's why you need true names, although I suspect that if you have
    her in love with you that she won't stray.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> schreef in bericht
    > SPOILER SPACE

    > ikke wrote:
    >> Hey there
    >>
    >> I just finished HOTU, or more precisely, aribeth fininished HOTU for me.
    >> The heavily damage reducted Mephistoles wasn't very impressed by the hits
    >> of my level 25 monk (2 or 3 damage per hit on average), but aribeth on
    >> the other hand kicked his ass by taking swings of 8 or 9 damage at him,
    >> not missing much of her attacks.
    >>
    >> The moment I took aritbeth as my henchmen, I felt more like I was HER
    >> henchmen, since she finished off her opponents at the same speed as I
    >> did, sometimes even faster. (it was not like I couldn't handle them, she
    >> just did it better ;-p) Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth
    >> overpowered as a henchmen, or just powerful?
    >>
    >> Just felt like asking some opinions ;-p
    >>

    > I never got to find out, because Meph always persuaded her to his side!
    > :(

    You can easily avoid this by learning her True Name, or having a high
    persuade might work too I think. She really comes in handy ;-p
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    bc wrote:
    >>HotU Spoilers Ahead

    >>I mainly
    >>drug her along for the little mênage à trois with her an Nat. ;-)
    >

    > Man, I gotta learn to start talking to my henchwomen. The only action my
    > ranger got was with a really short hooker, and all she did was talk a lot
    > and then pass out.

    Well, you don't actually get any "action", but you can get the following
    dialogue if you play your cards right:

    EVIL ARIBETH:
    Ari: "You can't compete with me, Nathyrra, so you might as well join me.
    I don't bite. It's really more of a nibble, isn't it, <FirstName>..."

    Nat: "If you're looking to shock me, Aribeth, try again. In case you've
    been too busy to notice, I am a drow, after all... Let us share this
    male, then, and fight about him later."

    GOOD ARIBETH:
    Nat: "See, Aribeth? He has room for both of us in his bed! What is it
    that you so afraid of?"

    Ari: "It seems wrong somehow but I love you, <FirstName>. 'Tis better to
    have half your heart than none at all."

    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:15:24 +0200, "ikke" <iemand@ergens.nl> wrote:

    >Hey there
    >
    >I just finished HOTU, or more precisely, aribeth fininished HOTU for me. The
    >heavily damage reducted Mephistoles wasn't very impressed by the hits of my
    >level 25 monk (2 or 3 damage per hit on average), but aribeth on the other
    >hand kicked his ass by taking swings of 8 or 9 damage at him, not missing
    >much of her attacks.
    >
    >The moment I took aritbeth as my henchmen, I felt more like I was HER
    >henchmen, since she finished off her opponents at the same speed as I did,
    >sometimes even faster. (it was not like I couldn't handle them, she just did
    >it better ;-p) Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth overpowered as
    >a henchmen, or just powerful?
    >
    >Just felt like asking some opinions ;-p

    I think I finished with a low 30's Wizard. I had that speaking weapon in a
    Greatsword guise with a whole host of upgrades like +10, Haste and Lightning
    damage so she was more like my henchman but with Meph. I had to resort to the
    Black Blade of disaster and Acid Fog which finished him off pretty quickly. So
    I found she was competant but no more than that really.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    SPOILER SPACE

    Memnoch wrote:

    > I think I finished with a low 30's Wizard. I had that speaking weapon in a
    > Greatsword guise with a whole host of upgrades like +10, Haste and Lightning
    > damage so she was more like my henchman but with Meph. I had to resort to the
    > Black Blade of disaster and Acid Fog which finished him off pretty quickly. So
    > I found she was competant but no more than that really.

    Luckily I had an arcane archer, otherwise I don't know how I would have
    beat him by myself! I tried a few acid things too, but they didn't seem
    to do much.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > SPOILER SPACE

    >> I had to resort
    >> to the
    >> Black Blade of disaster and Acid Fog which finished him off pretty
    >> quickly. So
    >> I found she was competant but no more than that really.
    >

    > Luckily I had an arcane archer, otherwise I don't know how I would have
    > beat him by myself! I tried a few acid things too, but they didn't seem
    > to do much.

    Interesting. Acid is the one thing against which Meph isn't resistant.
    My first time through I had added acid damage to my Enserric Greatsword
    (by accident, I like the green, dripping goo on the blade). Meph was
    difficult, but, since I had Persuaded both Ari and Nat to stick with me,
    Meph was annoying, but not deadly.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    "Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:22:34 -0500, "bc" <nomail@please.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Man, I gotta learn to start talking to my henchwomen. The only action my
    > >ranger got was with a really short hooker, and all she did was talk a lot
    > >and then pass out.
    >
    > You don't actually get them as blatantly as you do the hookers from
    > chapter 1, but romantic relationships with several characters are
    > possible.
    >
    > From examining the files it looks like there's also a possible
    > relationship with the spymaster in chapter 2 and beyond. There's
    > Aribeth in both chapter 2 and HOTU. There's Valen. Numerous reports
    > have told me that Nat is also available but I haven't tried it yet.

    Typical low-charisma ranger type. You pretty much gotta hit me over the
    head with it. I went thru the original game three times before I realized
    the henches would give you stuff if you talked to them long enough.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will wrote:
    > John Salerno wrote:
    >
    >>SPOILER SPACE

    >>>I had to resort
    >>>to the
    >>>Black Blade of disaster and Acid Fog which finished him off pretty
    >>>quickly. So
    >>>I found she was competant but no more than that really.
    >>

    >>Luckily I had an arcane archer, otherwise I don't know how I would have
    >>beat him by myself! I tried a few acid things too, but they didn't seem
    >>to do much.
    >

    > Interesting. Acid is the one thing against which Meph isn't resistant.
    > My first time through I had added acid damage to my Enserric Greatsword
    > (by accident, I like the green, dripping goo on the blade). Meph was
    > difficult, but, since I had Persuaded both Ari and Nat to stick with me,
    > Meph was annoying, but not deadly.

    I used a few scrolls that I had, but probably since I was only a level 1
    wizard, they weren't so powerful. I'm not sure which spells they were,
    but I'm guessing that's the reason, although I still did notice that
    they were more effective than other spells.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Loren Pechtel wrote:
    > On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 18:01:35 -0400, John Salerno
    > <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    Spoilers for HotU.

    >>I never got to find out, because Meph always persuaded her to his side! :(
    >

    > That's why you need true names, although I suspect that if you have
    > her in love with you that she won't stray.

    Having a high Persuade will also work, for all the potential companions.
    (Though Intimidate is more effective for Aribeth the Blackguard.)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Loren Pechtel pretended :
    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:22:34 -0500, "bc" <nomail@please.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Man, I gotta learn to start talking to my henchwomen. The only action my
    >> ranger got was with a really short hooker, and all she did was talk a lot
    >> and then pass out.
    >
    > You don't actually get them as blatantly as you do the hookers from
    > chapter 1, but romantic relationships with several characters are
    > possible.
    >
    > From examining the files it looks like there's also a possible
    > relationship with the spymaster in chapter 2 and beyond. There's
    > Aribeth in both chapter 2 and HOTU. There's Valen. Numerous reports
    > have told me that Nat is also available but I haven't tried it yet.

    Consider a romantic relationship with Nat confirmed. She actually comes
    across a bit coquettish and shy. I have to say, for an evil assassain,
    she's kind of sweet. ;-)

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Dawnseeker wrote:

    > Consider a romantic relationship with Nat confirmed. She actually comes
    > across a bit coquettish and shy. I have to say, for an evil assassain,
    > she's kind of sweet. ;-)

    She certainly is. Evil, my ass.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    << SPOILERS >>

    Loren Pechtel expressed precisely :
    > On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:22:34 -0500, "bc" <nomail@please.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Man, I gotta learn to start talking to my henchwomen. The only action my
    >> ranger got was with a really short hooker, and all she did was talk a lot
    >> and then pass out.
    >
    > You don't actually get them as blatantly as you do the hookers from
    > chapter 1, but romantic relationships with several characters are
    > possible.
    >
    > From examining the files it looks like there's also a possible
    > relationship with the spymaster in chapter 2 and beyond. There's
    > Aribeth in both chapter 2 and HOTU. There's Valen. Numerous reports
    > have told me that Nat is also available but I haven't tried it yet.

    Consider a romantic relationship with Nat confirmed. She actually comes
    across a bit coquettish and shy. I have to say, for an evil assassain,
    she's kind of sweet. ;-)

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes
    Of visionary enchantment
    Would never have an end.

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > bc wrote:
    > >>HotU Spoilers Ahead

    > >>I mainly
    > >>drug her along for the little mênage à trois with her an Nat. ;-)
    > >

    > > Man, I gotta learn to start talking to my henchwomen. The only action
    my
    > > ranger got was with a really short hooker, and all she did was talk a
    lot
    > > and then pass out.
    >

    > Well, you don't actually get any "action", but you can get the following
    > dialogue if you play your cards right:
    >
    > EVIL ARIBETH:
    > Ari: "You can't compete with me, Nathyrra, so you might as well join me.
    > I don't bite. It's really more of a nibble, isn't it, <FirstName>..."
    >
    > Nat: "If you're looking to shock me, Aribeth, try again. In case you've
    > been too busy to notice, I am a drow, after all... Let us share this
    > male, then, and fight about him later."
    >

    > GOOD ARIBETH:
    > Nat: "See, Aribeth? He has room for both of us in his bed! What is it
    > that you so afraid of?"
    >
    > Ari: "It seems wrong somehow but I love you, <FirstName>. 'Tis better to
    > have half your heart than none at all."

    Oh my. Play a female character and go with Valen - he's a lot less
    complicated.

    Best wishes
    Maxon
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Maxon wrote:
    > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message

    (menage-a-trois with both female romance interests)

    > Oh my. Play a female character and go with Valen - he's a lot less
    > complicated.

    Just not being greedy is less complicated there. :-p You don't /have/
    to try to persuade them both to romance you at once.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Barry Scott Will wrote:
    > Well, you don't actually get any "action",

    If you want to see plenty of action, watch how much my Meeps get in my Meeps "module". Easy to link to from the link in
    my sig.
    --
    My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
    "Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

    Kish wrote:
    > Maxon wrote:
    >
    >> "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message

    > (menage-a-trois with both female romance interests)
    >
    >> Oh my. Play a female character and go with Valen - he's a lot less
    >> complicated.
    >

    > Just not being greedy is less complicated there. :-p You don't /have/
    > to try to persuade them both to romance you at once.

    Actually, it's not that difficult. Just play through with both as
    henchpersons and be sympathetic and kind. The dialogue I quoted only
    shows up in a very specific place: If you've declared your love for Nat,
    but not for Ari and are in the Realm of the Reaper waiting to re-enter
    Waterdeep for the final showdown. Then Ari interrupts with a
    conversation that leads to the aforementioned dialogue.

    Otherwise, you can follow each woman's "romance" dialogue normally, and
    if you declare your love for each prior to return to Waterdeep, you'll
    see nothing about a menage a trois. You will get the "romance" ending
    for each character. There's really nothing "greedy" about it, unless you
    deliberately milk the situation along to get the final dialogue I quoted.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Maxon wrote:
    > "Barry Scott Will" <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote in message

    > Oh my. Play a female character and go with Valen - he's a lot less
    > complicated.

    My first time through was with a female character. I still ended up
    taking both Nat and Ari as henchwomen (no romance, though--this isn't
    KotOR). I couldn't stand Valen (or Deekin for that matter), so took the
    "leftovers". They worked so well together (leveling Nat as a wizard), I
    used them again when I played through with a male character. That's when
    I discovered the little bit of fanTAsy put in by Bioware. :)
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    We were a monk and Aribeth kept needed healing. I think Aribeth is not
    overpowered and is fine as she is as you get to have a fight and be tactical
    about what you do too.
    "ikke" <iemand@ergens.nl> wrote in message
    > Hey there
    >
    > I just finished HOTU, or more precisely, aribeth fininished HOTU for me.
    > The heavily damage reducted Mephistoles wasn't very impressed by the hits
    > of my level 25 monk (2 or 3 damage per hit on average), but aribeth on the
    > other hand kicked his ass by taking swings of 8 or 9 damage at him, not
    > missing much of her attacks.
    >
    > The moment I took aritbeth as my henchmen, I felt more like I was HER
    > henchmen, since she finished off her opponents at the same speed as I did,
    > sometimes even faster. (it was not like I couldn't handle them, she just
    > did it better ;-p) Did any of you had this experience? Is Aribeth
    > overpowered as a henchmen, or just powerful?
    >
    > Just felt like asking some opinions ;-p

Games Video Games