PocketPC Restoration

May 6, 2005 10:31:26 PM

Hi,

Today I experienced 4 hard resets of my device (which I'll need to work with
the manufacturer on), but this brings a question to mind. If/when my device
is reset is there anyway to restore it to my setup quickly? I don't
necessarily care about all the data because it's synced on my PC, but having
to reload my apps, and unload all the default junk I don't want is a pain.
I see a utility called xBackup, but don't know if it will achieve my goal.

More about : pocketpc restoration

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:54:01 AM

Hi

There are two ways.....

You can either use Xbackup to backup to a SD card that can be restored any
time, or you can use activesync to backup and restore when you are connected
to your desktop computer.

http://www.pda-faq.com/index.php?option=com_content&tas...

--

Regards,
Allan Boegild Pedersen

"HikingDD" <dabrosca@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi,
>
> Today I experienced 4 hard resets of my device (which I'll need to work
> with the manufacturer on), but this brings a question to mind. If/when my
> device is reset is there anyway to restore it to my setup quickly? I
> don't necessarily care about all the data because it's synced on my PC,
> but having to reload my apps, and unload all the default junk I don't want
> is a pain. I see a utility called xBackup, but don't know if it will
> achieve my goal.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 4:54:02 AM

So just to confirm XBackup is "state oriented" backup... so even apps
removed on the image will dissapear from the device after a restore?

Thank you for the quick response!
"Allan Boegild Pedersen" <abp@Removethis.mail.dk> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> There are two ways.....
>
> You can either use Xbackup to backup to a SD card that can be restored any
> time, or you can use activesync to backup and restore when you are
> connected to your desktop computer.
>
> http://www.pda-faq.com/index.php?option=com_content&tas...
>

> --
>
> Regards,
> Allan Boegild Pedersen
> www.pda-faq.com
>
> "HikingDD" <dabrosca@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today I experienced 4 hard resets of my device (which I'll need to work
>> with the manufacturer on), but this brings a question to mind. If/when
>> my device is reset is there anyway to restore it to my setup quickly? I
>> don't necessarily care about all the data because it's synced on my PC,
>> but having to reload my apps, and unload all the default junk I don't
>> want is a pain. I see a utility called xBackup, but don't know if it will
>> achieve my goal.
>>
>> Does anyone have any experience with this?

Related resources
May 7, 2005 1:35:37 PM

You can use the "Backup/Restore" tab of Activesync to do a full (and then
incremental) backup and when you restore the backup the installed programs,
registry tweaks, and original partnership relationship is restored. When
you connect the reset PPC for the first time to do the restore select
"connect as guest" to prevent creating a new identity for your PPC. After
the restore, you can sync up and then probably will have a few conflicts
with file versions that were restored and are also in the sync directory.

Boz

"HikingDD" <dabrosca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Today I experienced 4 hard resets of my device (which I'll need to work
> with the manufacturer on), but this brings a question to mind. If/when my
> device is reset is there anyway to restore it to my setup quickly? I
> don't necessarily care about all the data because it's synced on my PC,
> but having to reload my apps, and unload all the default junk I don't want
> is a pain. I see a utility called xBackup, but don't know if it will
> achieve my goal.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 9:35:48 PM

>>> Today I experienced 4 hard resets of my device (which I'll need to work
>>> with the manufacturer on), but this brings a question to mind. If/when
>>> my device is reset is there anyway to restore it to my setup quickly?
>>> I don't necessarily care about all the data because it's synced on my
>>> PC, but having to reload my apps, and unload all the default junk I
>>> don't want is a pain. I see a utility called xBackup, but don't know if
>>> it will achieve my goal.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any experience with this?

I use sprite backup which does exactly what you require including an option
to backup to a self extracting exe file which you can keep on your removable
storage disk.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 2:14:33 AM

I've got some good advise here - thanks! What last question when using
xBackup I get an error message at 93% complete about a file that is
restricted... I don't have the name of it handy, but it seems to be
activesync related. I get prompted to reset and do the backup again, but I
get the message again (after 93% again). I've only gotten one successful
backup.

Any ideas?
"HikingDD" <dabrosca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Today I experienced 4 hard resets of my device (which I'll need to work
> with the manufacturer on), but this brings a question to mind. If/when my
> device is reset is there anyway to restore it to my setup quickly? I
> don't necessarily care about all the data because it's synced on my PC,
> but having to reload my apps, and unload all the default junk I don't want
> is a pain. I see a utility called xBackup, but don't know if it will
> achieve my goal.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

Anonymous
May 9, 2005 5:18:31 PM

"HikingDD" <dabrosca@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Today I experienced 4 hard resets of my device (which I'll need to work
> with the manufacturer on), but this brings a question to mind. If/when my
> device is reset is there anyway to restore it to my setup quickly? I
> don't necessarily care about all the data because it's synced on my PC,
> but having to reload my apps, and unload all the default junk I don't want
> is a pain. I see a utility called xBackup, but don't know if it will
> achieve my goal.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this?

As others have mentioned, sprite backup really deserves a closer look. It
can backup to an sd card, wireless network, etc, and restores in a minute
after a hard reset.

In the field I have used the restore a couple times, worked great. (Sprite
Backup now ships preloaded on certain IPAQS to load the restore file (which
is what I used), but I do believe there is an option on certain versions to
write the backup out as an executable, saving from having to install the
backup software prior to loading the backup)

I usually keep a copy on the SD card and a (varying degree of freshness)
copy on the home network - just in case I do something really stupid...
!