gaming pc specs

mikeyg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
alright ladies and gents. its time to bring out the computer building skills.
i am interested in building my own gaming pc. i have been doing extensive research into the different parts and pricings. typically the system i spec out comes out to around 2000 dollars which is a little more than i was hoping to spend. so now i ask all of you. please email me or post specs to your current pcs, a new pc you had i mind, or just your dream specs. the only specs i have truly made my mind on are the graphics card and cpu. for the graphics card i am looking at the geforce 8800 GTS (the GTX is just a little too pricey), if not the 8800 then one with comporable abilities, directx 10 (crysis baby!!!). and as for the cpu i have been thinking the intel core 2 duo E6600 (nice specs and still in my price range). but again everything is up in the air. all i really want is to rock out crysis to its full potential. so please, lend me your thoughts, from one gamer to another.

i thank you

etomasula

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Look we all know the Conroes are amazing period, hence you have to pay the price for them. If you want an awesome system with a Conroe for less you are gonna end up cutting corners on parts that you wish you wouldn't have.

If you want something that will be a little on the cheaper side and still have some left for your 8800 consider this setup.

939 Opteron (most all overclock really well)
ASUS A8N - SLI MB
2GB of DDR (currently 2GB will be 100$ less than DDR2)
SATA RAID 0 (7200 RPM SATAs are cheaper by the day)
Nice Case/PSU/Cooler

Yah its a little bit of a older setup but it will still be rockin fast. Now is the time to buy this kinda system. Your gonna be able to buy top quality parts for lower prices, instead of skimping on new parts to lower you price. Trust me its better in the long run to buy quality!! Plus its been around there are plenty of review to help your decision and you know its stable by now.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
I know you want the best you can afford, let me say that the new graphic cards comming soon will be way different. They will have a socket, now we have the opt to change the gpu to what ever we choose. Hold off on the priciy video card and spend on the mb,cpu,ram

NTGsv

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2007
If you want an awesome system with a Conroe for less you are gonna end up cutting corners on parts that you wish you wouldn't have...Trust me its better in the long run to buy quality!! Plus its been around there are plenty of review to help your decision and you know its stable by now.

Wise words, I just learned that recently. I built my first rig, cut a few corners to get a e6600, and 8800gts in the picture. Worked awesome for a week and then died...two mobo's later and finally figuring my psu was frying my shitznat I ordered pricier but very quality parts. Waiting for my asus p5n-e mobo and ocz gamexstream 700w psu....I hope my old raidmax psu burns in a fiery computer hell...

etomasula

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
If you want an awesome system with a Conroe for less you are gonna end up cutting corners on parts that you wish you wouldn't have...Trust me its better in the long run to buy quality!! Plus its been around there are plenty of review to help your decision and you know its stable by now.

Wise words, I just learned that recently. I built my first rig, cut a few corners to get a e6600, and 8800gts in the picture. Worked awesome for a week and then died...two mobo's later and finally figuring my psu was frying my shitznat I ordered pricier but very quality parts. Waiting for my asus p5n-e mobo and ocz gamexstream 700w psu....I hope my old raidmax psu burns in a fiery computer hell...

Ha you and me both learned the hard way. Same thing, I decided to use the power supply that came with the barebones. You can guess the rest.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I know you want the best you can afford, let me say that the new graphic cards comming soon will be way different. They will have a socket, now we have the opt to change the gpu to what ever we choose. Hold off on the priciy video card and spend on the mb,cpu,ram

Can provide a recent link that states that Nvidia or AMDTi will be doing this in the next 6 - 12 months? I searched Google extensively and only found talk about the idea of it in a post PCI-e future, but nothing else.