Is this setup possible?

Padma

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I'm trying to add a semi-secure public WLAN to my existing network, which is pretty complicated. I have little experience.

I have been doing some research about NAT and networking in general, and I have come up with this schematic. I don't know if this setup is even possible with the equipment we have, or at all. I need to know what is needed to set this up, what type of cables (crossover, straight-thru, etc.) are needed, subnet settings, etc. if possible.

This network, sans the devices listed as "not having", is already setup and working.

Of course the current layout is a little different towards the top.

I want to have multiple NAT routers so that I can have a semi-secure public network and an "ultra" secure private network.

Thank you very much.

totoms_002.JPG

gstrother1

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Thats easily possible.

I have a fairly similiar setup

WAN (cable modem)
\/
831 router ---NAS/8Port 10/100/1000 Switch --->PCs/XBOX/PS2
\/
Dlink WLAN router --> Wireless Clients (PDA/Laptop)

Both routers are running NAT. The 831 has the ip range is 10.0.0.0/24 and the WLAN has an ip range of 10.0.1.0/24. I made some simple ACLs to deny any traffic going from the 10.0.1.0/24 to the 10.0.0.0/24 hosts (except the NAS and to the router which just passes it out to the internet). although its annoying not to beable to access my PC sometimes from my laptop its worth it when friends come over with virus infested Laptops and they want to get online