windows 2k&xp auto shunting down

hamid

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2003

Hi
I have a problem on network that some pc running w2k xp
are auto shunting down after a 60 second warning.I have
cheked for viruses but did not found any infection on my
pc.I have also run the tool for sassar,blaster, welchia
etc.

Your description indicates a virus problem of some sort. A process viewer such as
Process Explorer may show the process/executable causing the problem if you can
compare to a "good" computer. Try a second virus removal/detection product or an
online virus scan and make sure your computers are up to date as far as critical
updates. Booting into safe mode may bypass the problem for repairs. You should also
be using a properly configured firewall and use a virus scan program that keeps
itself current and scans all emails. Email attachments are a big problem for
infecting machines as are unauthorized computers on the network. --- Steve

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/ -- free tool called Stinger from McAfee for
detecting and removing many common viruses.
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml -- free process viewer
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml -- look for unauthorized
startup programs, particularly those with no publisher name associated with it.
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym -- online
scanning