Users Home Folders

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Hi all, what’s the best way to set-up users home folders on a server
(windows2003), i want all the users to only access their own
folders/files. Is there a definite Microsoft way to do this or do all
admins have a different approach to file/folder security?
I know I need to share a folder on a server and give everyone full
control and then use NTFS to restrict access (is this the best way?)
what exact NTFS permissions should I use?

I know these questions may have been asked before but I am pretty new to
all this ....

Thanks for your understanding and patience
steve

Generally it is done by creating a Users folder and within the users folder
each user has a folder named after them or their login name.
I would suggest removing the "everyone" full control and replacing it with
domain users or authenticated users. Then give the specific user full
control in the NTFS permissions.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

"Danny Sanders" <Danny.Sanders@cpcNOmedSPAM.org> wrote in message news:<ey#baxPZEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>...
> Generally it is done by creating a Users folder and within the users folder
> each user has a folder named after them or their login name.
> I would suggest removing the "everyone" full control and replacing it with
> domain users or authenticated users. Then give the specific user full
> control in the NTFS permissions.
>

> hth
> DDS W 2k MVP MCSE
>
> "steve" <mad.hatter_remove_for-spam@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all, what?s the best way to set-up users home folders on a server
> > (windows2003), i want all the users to only access their own
> > folders/files. Is there a definite Microsoft way to do this or do all
> > admins have a different approach to file/folder security?
> > I know I need to share a folder on a server and give everyone full
> > control and then use NTFS to restrict access (is this the best way?)
> > what exact NTFS permissions should I use?
> >
> > I know these questions may have been asked before but I am pretty new to
> > all this ....
> >
> > Thanks for your understanding and patience
> > steve

You can follow up by using a test machine setup, before actually using
it in the "real world". All it takes is to leave out one simple step
to give you unintended results, and practicing on a test machine(s)
will ensure you know what you are doing.

Latest posts