Apologies if I'm being thick - tried Google to no avail.....

My character is a right scaredy. What do I need to bump up to stop fear
every time we see anything the least little bit scary?

"Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> looked up
from reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is
good, the signs say:

>Apologies if I'm being thick - tried Google to no avail.....
>
>My character is a right scaredy. What do I need to bump up to stop fear
>every time we see anything the least little bit scary?

I've always just snagged a lesser belt of guiding light for total
immunity to fear. I hate not being able to control my own character.

Xocyll

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

> I've always just snagged a lesser belt of guiding light for total
> immunity to fear. I hate not being able to control my own character.
>
> Xocyll

I really can't help you there....I usually play a sorcerer, so I'm almost
never within range of the green fear circle of doom.

-[Blayde]-

When your in fear mode, take a potion of heal. Now I'm immune it doesn't
matter but I did this in the past.

"Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message
> Apologies if I'm being thick - tried Google to no avail.....
>
> My character is a right scaredy. What do I need to bump up to stop fear
> every time we see anything the least little bit scary?

Drax

On Sun, 01 May 2005 06:39:31 GMT, "Robert Read"
<robertjread@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>When your in fear mode, take a potion of heal. Now I'm immune it doesn't
>matter but I did this in the past.

You lose control of your character when in Fear mode so, how can you
take a potion or do anything at all? Are you using the Easy setting
if so, fear only causes -4 to hit on all other setting those you lose
control and run away.

>"Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message
>> Apologies if I'm being thick - tried Google to no avail.....
>>
>> My character is a right scaredy. What do I need to bump up to stop fear
>> every time we see anything the least little bit scary?

Vellu

Manky Badger kirjoitti:
> Apologies if I'm being thick - tried Google to no avail.....
>
> My character is a right scaredy. What do I need to bump up to stop fear
> every time we see anything the least little bit scary?

Some fear/mind-affecting immunity item. Potion of clarity helps too...

That is true. I don't know how I did it in the past

"mindseye" <mindseye@u.washington.edu> looked up from reading the
say:

>> I've always just snagged a lesser belt of guiding light for total
>> immunity to fear. I hate not being able to control my own character.
>>
>> Xocyll
>
>I really can't help you there....I usually play a sorcerer, so I'm almost
>never within range of the green fear circle of doom.

Even with a Sorcerer sometimes you end up in the circle, if for no other
reason than a mummy/dragon in a small room you can't leave until it's
dead.

Xocyll

MindsEye

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004

> Even with a Sorcerer sometimes you end up in the circle, if for no other
> reason than a mummy/dragon in a small room you can't leave until it's
> dead.

True, that, very true, but because I'm only rarely in said circle of doom, I
don't really plan for it - there are better things I could look for in my
equipment, and so forth.

Incidentally, in case it might help, my henchwoman (cleric) seems to only
rarely get hit with fear, my familiar (panther, essentially a rogue) gets
hit with fear fairly often (mutter), and I (sorceress) end up somewhere in
the middle, though that 'statistic' is a little untrustworthy seeing as it
doesn't happen often.

When you get hit with fear, do you get a line on your combat readout that
says what saving throw you failed? That could help.

-[Blayde]-

mindseye wrote:
> Incidentally, in case it might help, my henchwoman (cleric) seems to only
> rarely get hit with fear,

Fear is typically a Will save, meaning the cleric's high WIS score is
helping quite a bit. I usually play paladins, so I don't worry much
about Fear.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Let's not forget Golden Circlet. Immunuty to mind affecting spells....

Fear, Confusion, Stun, etc...

"Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> looked up from reading the
say:

>Prismatic Dragon Boots - yes, I gave them to Valen in HOTU. I couldn't
>afford to have him cowering in the corner and not beating the c*** out of
>the bad guys - something he was rather good at. They give immunity to
>knockdown too. My personal favourite is the Belt of Guiding Light - lesser,
>straight or greater - whichever I can get my hands on. The immunity to
>knockdown the boots give would be most useful but I've never been able to
>wean myself off Boots of Speed since my primary tactic in a fight is to run
>away and attack from a (safe) distance. The trials of cowardice.

Er just lesser and greater - the straight Belt of Guiding Light doesn't
give immunity to fear, only immunity to death magic, lesser gives fear,
greater gives both.

Xocyll

Sorry - I was being flippant. I must remember not to do that!

Best wishes
Maxon

"Xocyll" <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote in message
> Er just lesser and greater - the straight Belt of Guiding Light doesn't
> give immunity to fear, only immunity to death magic, lesser gives fear,
> greater gives both.
>
> Xocyll

On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:23:32 GMT, "Maxon"
<jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>Prismatic Dragon Boots - yes, I gave them to Valen in HOTU. I couldn't
>afford to have him cowering in the corner and not beating the c*** out of
>the bad guys - something he was rather good at. They give immunity to
>knockdown too. My personal favourite is the Belt of Guiding Light - lesser,
>straight or greater - whichever I can get my hands on. The immunity to
>knockdown the boots give would be most useful but I've never been able to
>wean myself off Boots of Speed since my primary tactic in a fight is to run
>away and attack from a (safe) distance. The trials of cowardice.

Yeah, haste is the best thing to have. If you have room to maneuver
it lets you engage almost anything safely.

I'm normally a spellcaster, but I decided to play it again as a
fighter. I'm in the OC, just finishing up with Act 3. So far the
only time I've needed a henchman is in the host tower with that
@$%#^#%^ Death Slaad. He's got some sort of nasty spell that simply
killed me every time. I finally had to go get a henchman to die in my
place.

Unlike the AI characters, I actually got a good AC. I've been through
powerful fights without taking a single hit, and at that I could do
better. Had I gone LG instead of NG there was a shield that would
have given me 2 more AC and I could drop my amulet of health in favor
of a natural armor amulet but I haven't considered these changes worth
it.

The Death Slaad in the dragon caves was in a big area. I just kept
running around and around and pelting him with arrows. He dropped
without ever scratching me.

On 2 May 2005 07:44:55 -0700, "Proj_Eng"
<richardm@orthoorganizers.com> wrote:

>Let's not forget Golden Circlet. Immunuty to mind affecting spells....
>
>Fear, Confusion, Stun, etc...

Yes, a great item.

Add the amulet of health that protects against various other special
attack forms and an awful lot of special attacks get blocked.

Loren Pechtel wrote:
> Yeah, haste is the best thing to have. If you have room to maneuver
> it lets you engage almost anything safely.

And the AC bonus don't hurt none, either :)

> Unlike the AI characters, I actually got a good AC. I've been
through
> powerful fights without taking a single hit, <snip>

Have you tried the Henchman AI script for the OC? It's downloadable at
the vault (I'd give a link but I can't get to it cuz SurfControl blocks
me).
With the Henchman AI, you can give the henchmen better equipment.