Sign in with
Your question

Cable Modem Latency

Last response: in Networking
October 12, 2006 1:00:20 AM

I just got Comcast digital cable (8mbps down) and I am currently just leasing an RCA DCM425 modem from Comcast (I read some reviews about it, and it actually seems to be OK).

I'm thinking about buying my own cable modem, so my question is: is there a list of reviews that compares latency of different modems? I play CSS, so I really want a modem with super fast latency.

I've looked all over, and the only thing I can find is "yeah, this works fine" or "sucks... drops connection". It seems as if nobody has published the results on latency that swapping your modem out has. I'm about to just buy a bunch of modems, test them out, then return all but the fastest one. This is really annoying me that there is no info out there!

More about : cable modem latency

October 12, 2006 8:37:02 PM

I use to use a Linksys Cable modem with comcast, with no problems. I switched to Verizon FIOS. The Latency is not in the modem but Comcast Service. It was real bad in my area.
October 13, 2006 5:01:53 PM

Quote:
I use to use a Linksys Cable modem with comcast, with no problems. I switched to Verizon FIOS. The Latency is not in the modem but Comcast Service. It was real bad in my area.

True, but the kind of cable modem you have can play a role in latency. If I can spend $150 for a nice cable modem that will bump my latency from 40ms to 30ms in CSS, I'd do it.
Related resources
October 13, 2006 5:05:55 PM

With Comcast you are going to have Latency. They bounce you around all over the place.
October 13, 2006 8:29:09 PM

Well, my latency rocks right now... I mean, I'm getting 27ms pings on some CSS servers. I'm just frustrated because there's absolutely no straight technical information on cable modems. Basically, I want THG to do a "cable modem roundup" or something and compare them all. *sigh*
October 13, 2006 8:58:37 PM

Yep, now wait till everyone gets home in the evening from work like 5-7pm then test.
October 14, 2006 8:54:52 PM

I'll let you know how it turns out...
October 17, 2006 11:21:40 PM

Quote:
Yep, now wait till everyone gets home in the evening from work like 5-7pm then test.

Well, maybe I'm just getting lucky, but so far my latency has been great. I replaced wireless card with a nicer one, and my latency has been 17MS - 40 MS on the CS servers I've been playing on. Even during peak times.
October 23, 2006 9:48:06 PM

yeah other than linksys and dlink...i don't now much about the cable modems...up here there's a lot of motorola being used, but it's tough finding out a good one
October 24, 2006 5:15:20 AM

Exactly... THG needs to make some cable modem reviews!
October 24, 2006 2:56:45 PM

I have worked for a major cable company on the network side of things and I must say the Motorola modems are the best out there with the least amount of problems. The RCA's are junk, not to mention the huge power cord issue they had forever. The Dlink and Linksys cable modem sux as well the amount of problems we saw with these modems was bad. I really like Linksys routers and I was surprised to see there modems do so badly. My advise is to get the Motorola you can not go wrong.
October 24, 2006 10:32:02 PM

Thanks... yeah, sadly that Motorola SurfBoard got great reviews. I don't really trust Motorola, but it appears as if they make some good cable modems.

Anyway, I guess I'll just have to buy new modems and compare them myself.
October 27, 2006 1:07:19 AM

Quote:
I have worked for a major cable company on the network side of things and I must say the Motorola modems are the best out there with the least amount of problems. The RCA's are junk, not to mention the huge power cord issue they had forever. The Dlink and Linksys cable modem sux as well the amount of problems we saw with these modems was bad. I really like Linksys routers and I was surprised to see there modems do so badly. My advise is to get the Motorola you can not go wrong.

yes you are correct the rca modems are trash i'm using mine at this moment and cuts me off and runs as if i'm on dial up. i had the motorola surfboard modem it this has never happen when i used it. so i wish i still had it. I'm gonna go buy one tomorrow. so my cable internet can run as it should.
July 22, 2007 3:22:02 AM

I Have Comcast Cable and resently I've been experiencing the frustration of high ping when playing online games. I play COD2 online. Usually my connection on the closest server is around 50. Within 3-5 minutes its ok....after that It will spike up for around 5-10 seconds of crazy 999+ connectivity....then its back to the same cycle.....Called for Comcast service...they did all the diagnostic....modem(I do have a motorola)...was ok...then the technician went to this site http://192.168.100.1/config.htm to see all the specs of my modem and connectivity...one thing that was irritating my connection was the power level of the physical cable... the ideal power, so you wont have fluctuating ping, is 52-49. My area was around 58... its been 3 days after they did the diagnostic and it works fine...
August 12, 2007 11:15:02 AM

bastion said:

I second that - I'm working for a major cable ISP myself - we supply our customers with our own modems - which have been motorola Surfboards for the past 5 years. We test other modems regularly but always find the surfboards to be the most reliable.

That being said I doubt your choice of cable modem will have much impact on your latency.
November 6, 2008 3:30:09 AM

i need alot of help with this cuz i wanna play team fortress two but i have comcast modem and it is an rca. i get pings around 120 or higher n i have no clue what to do. if theres an anser, please tell me as simply as possible cuz im not incredible with computers.
!