Newbie question about Time Warner digital cable in Houston

We currently still have analog cable from Time Warner. We have 5
analog TVs in the house. If we give up analog cable & subscribe to TW
digital cable, will we need 5 converter boxes? If so would Time Warner
company sell the boxes or let us lease with monthly fee (how much if
you know).

Thank you!
6 answers Last reply
More about newbie question time warner digital cable houston

    Jack wrote:

    > We currently still have analog cable from Time Warner. We have 5
    > analog TVs in the house. If we give up analog cable & subscribe to TW
    > digital cable, will we need 5 converter boxes? If so would Time Warner
    > company sell the boxes or let us lease with monthly fee (how much if
    > you know).
    >
    > Thank you!

    Jack:

    I have Time Warner Cable in GBay, WI....

    I subscribe to the Analog Channels (1 thru 99) and 9 HDTV channels
    (700 series)....

    My belief is the Std Def Digital Channels are not a value buy ....

    Std Def Digital is similar to Analog picture quality (480i vs
    480p)....

    Digital Sound is better than Analog sound... especially IF you

    have an A/V receiver to out put Dolby Digital 5.1 on 6 speakers...

    The Time Warner value buy lies in the HiDef clarity IF you

    purchase a HiDef TV to view the 5 times more detailed picture...

    As for Time Warner Cable Boxes... Renting 1 set top box

    like a SA3250HD at $7 per month per Analog TV and

    showing HD Programs at 480i (Analog Signal) is an

    education experiment.. that will give you a nice Analog

    Picture via an S-Video Cable....

    Splitting a Time Warner Analog Cable Signal 5 times

    for 5 Tv's will give a weak Analog signal that may

    'work' by should be too weak to show HD Programming

    should you buy a Digital HDTV set... Nuff said...

    HiDef Tv is the upper end of Digital Std Def TV...

    If you subscribe to digital cable through TWC, then you'll only have the
    digital features (Movies on Demand, Music/Radio, interactive channels, etc.)
    on the TV's with the digital boxes, but all the other sets will have TWC's
    "analog" channels for their basic service.

    And you have to pay $7.00 a month for each digital cable box. They wont sell
    you the box. Go to TWCHouston.com for more info.

    >f you subscribe to digital cable through TWC, then you'll only have the
    >digital features (Movies on Demand, Music/Radio, interactive channels, etc.)
    >on the TV's with the digital boxes, but all the other sets will have TWC's
    >"analog" channels for their basic service.

    I live in Spring, TX and have Houston TWC. To recieve digital cable you have
    to have a digital reciever box for each TV. Cost per box is about
    $7.00/month to lease. They will not sell you the box and you can't use
    third-party boxes (legally).

    On the up-side, TWC Houston offers the best selection for High Definition
    content and they will soon be offering DVR (Digital Video Recorder) enabled
    HD digital boxes at no extra cost per month.

    "Jack" <jkclub2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > We currently still have analog cable from Time Warner. We have 5
    > analog TVs in the house. If we give up analog cable & subscribe to TW
    > digital cable, will we need 5 converter boxes? If so would Time Warner
    > company sell the boxes or let us lease with monthly fee (how much if
    > you know).
    >
    > Thank you!

    Are you sure the DVR service is at no extra cost?. Time Warner is charging an
    extra $6.95 a month in other cities that already laubched this service. Go to
    TWCNC.com (Time Warner in North Carolina) for instance and they state it is
    $6.95 a month for DVR service in addition to the lease of the box.

    >I live in Spring, TX and have Houston TWC. To recieve digital cable you have
    >to have a digital reciever box for each TV. Cost per box is about
    >$7.00/month to lease. They will not sell you the box and you can't use
    >third-party boxes (legally).
    >
    >On the up-side, TWC Houston offers the best selection for High Definition
    >content and they will soon be offering DVR (Digital Video Recorder) enabled
    >HD digital boxes at no extra cost per month.
    >

    >"Jack" <jkclub2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> We currently still have analog cable from Time Warner. We have 5
    >> analog TVs in the house. If we give up analog cable & subscribe to TW
    >> digital cable, will we need 5 converter boxes? If so would Time Warner
    >> company sell the boxes or let us lease with monthly fee (how much if
    >> you know).
    >>
    >> Thank you!

    The $6.95/month is a service fee for the DVR guide, etc.. the box
    rental is suppose to be identical to that of the normal digital cable
    box.

    If you were to buy a Tivo or ReplayTV you'd actually pay more than
    $6.96 for service (ReplayTV cost me $11.00/month).

    spidermanhouston@aol.com (SpiderManHouston) wrote in message news:<20040707225658.06903.00001096@mb-m13.aol.com>...
    > Are you sure the DVR service is at no extra cost?. Time Warner is charging an
    > extra $6.95 a month in other cities that already laubched this service. Go to
    > TWCNC.com (Time Warner in North Carolina) for instance and they state it is
    > $6.95 a month for DVR service in addition to the lease of the box.
    >

    > >I live in Spring, TX and have Houston TWC. To recieve digital cable you have
    > >to have a digital reciever box for each TV. Cost per box is about
    > >$7.00/month to lease. They will not sell you the box and you can't use
    > >third-party boxes (legally).
    > >
    > >On the up-side, TWC Houston offers the best selection for High Definition
    > >content and they will soon be offering DVR (Digital Video Recorder) enabled
    > >HD digital boxes at no extra cost per month.
    > >

    > >"Jack" <jkclub2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >> We currently still have analog cable from Time Warner. We have 5
    > >> analog TVs in the house. If we give up analog cable & subscribe to TW
    > >> digital cable, will we need 5 converter boxes? If so would Time Warner
    > >> company sell the boxes or let us lease with monthly fee (how much if
    > >> you know).
    > >>
    > >> Thank you!

HDTV Cable Home Theatre