Administrator rights

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

My PC runs 2000pro..I was setting up a network and
suddenly after the 6millionth restart my normal user name
had disappeared...and when I used another user name I
found I couldn't do anything because that user has no
administrator rights...plus I cannot get back to the
administrator profile...nor can I add a new user name as I
don't have admin permission etc etc...! Does anyone have a
clue what might have happened? At the moment I am staring
at the screen without a clue!
Thanks

Were you a member of a domain before you started all this? If you unjoin a
computer from a domain, then you can no longer logon to a computer using a
domain account and can only use a local account. If you are a member of a
domain, then a domain administrator will need to join your computer back to the
domain when your computer is connected to the domain. User accounts don't just
disappear. --- Steve

"Phil" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My PC runs 2000pro..I was setting up a network and
> suddenly after the 6millionth restart my normal user name
> had disappeared...and when I used another user name I
> found I couldn't do anything because that user has no
> administrator rights...plus I cannot get back to the
> administrator profile...nor can I add a new user name as I
> don't have admin permission etc etc...! Does anyone have a
> clue what might have happened? At the moment I am staring
> at the screen without a clue!
> Thanks

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Hi Steve. Thanks for the reply...the network I refer to is
only a home thing between my two PCs and they were/are not
members of a domain. I also don't see how a user account
can disappear but that is how it appears to me. The user
profile is still there but when I boot the PC and it asks
for the user name and password, it doesn't accept the name
I used to use and I can't ad a new name to the list
because I don't have admin rights on the account which
DOES open...Catch 22?

OK. See the link below on a program you can download to "reset" the built in
administrator account to blank. -- Steve

http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm