Importance of 1333 FSB?

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I'm new to this OC thingy so please tell me what the change to 1333 FSB on the "revised Conroes" means for overclocking. Should I go for the X6800 extreme or should I wait for the E6850 with the 1333 FSB?

I've been planning my new PC for a long time ...since last year (duh) but will finally take the plunge this December. Quadcores in Thailand are still VERY expensive. But if the price is close to the E6850/X6800 then I might go with the quadcore.

I want a good computer for video editing (amatuer not professional), flash, and of course, games!

Thanks for your input.

G

THe 1333 FSB has been shown not to improve performance all that much. The memory sub system of the conroe is really strong at hiding the "slow and old" FSB.

Some E6X50 might actually oc less because of the lower multiplier, you might need solid component to withstand the higher FSB. Should not be the case for the E6850 since the multiplier is high and maybe unlocked.
That being said the OC might be better simply because of the new revision.

Not really worth the wait if you want it now. You can still wait and see, nothing like the real product.

PeaceLoving

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Thanks for replying. I'm planning to wait till December to buy my new desktop anyways, so I'll wait for the reviews. I was just curious about the "oc" side of this and how it affects overclocking.

The Asus Striker Extreme has come to Thailand, but I'm still unsure how good it really is.

Planned Specs (for December):

CPU: E6600 OR X6800 OR QX6700(if it ever enters Thailand :( )
MB: Asus Striker OR P5W DH Deluxe OR P5B Premium
CPU cooler: Zalman CNPS 9700 or Tuniq Ultra or (??suggestions??)
GPU: 8800GTX (single) or R600 (if it is good)
PSU: Corsair HX620 or (i hope corsair comes out with a 750W model)
HDD: 1xRaptor / 1 Seagate 320 GB (already have one)
Drives: already have
RAM: any DDR2-800 (get better ones later)
Case: Antec P182 or P190 or TJ-09 (if they bring them in to Thailand)
Soundcard: Creative X-Fi Platinum
Keyboard: Saitek II (is it any good?doesn't seem to have macros :cry: )
Mouse: Logitech G5 (is the MX-Revolution good for games?)
Speakers: already have (Philips A 3.610 Acoustic Fusion)
Monitor: already have (Philips 190X6)