Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 2 BIOS update problems

Last response: in Motherboards
February 8, 2007 9:26:00 PM

Well i just tried to update the bios of my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 2 to version f10. I used their in windows thingy @bios and downloaded the file directly from their server (not via @bios) and ended up with some wierd effects. First of all the compter stops in the post screen. Then when i restart it starts restarting itself several times and then i wont start at all, after resetting the bios a couple of times it automatically flashes back to version f3 and im back to where I started.

I notice allot of other people have the same problem, what to do ? I have no floppy drive and would like to continue in that fashion :p  I read there is some way to make usb divices bootable maybe...
February 9, 2007 12:43:53 PM

The flash drive option was only added to the F10, so unless you're already on it it's no use to you!

The constant restarting after a flash is not a problem, it's normal. It is telling you that you need to reset the BIOS, then upon power up, enter setup and configure your settings in the screen.

How are your resetting the BIOS? What procedure are you following?

The F3 must be your backup, at least yours works!! Many around here arent so lucky maybe thats the rev 1 boards...dunno.
February 9, 2007 1:12:57 PM

Yeah it says something about the backup so i guess i got lucky amidst the unluckiness :) 

Well after i restarted the computer after the update at fist it didn't get past the post screen or anything, not into the bios either. So i panic and restart the computer, that is when it begins to start for about 1 second then restart over and over very disturbing. So i reset the bios by shorting the two pins on the motherboard (not removing the battery ie). Then it flips out a bit more where after it returns to f3.
Related resources
February 9, 2007 1:57:02 PM

Did you remove the power lead aswell?
February 9, 2007 1:59:50 PM

Power lead is that the cord or ? :S Don't remember really
February 9, 2007 4:04:16 PM

Yeah the power cord 240V over here, 110V if you're in the US.
February 9, 2007 4:47:48 PM

Quote:
Well i just tried to update the bios of my Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev 2 to version f10. I used their in windows thingy @bios and downloaded the file directly from their server (not via @bios) and ended up with some wierd effects. First of all the compter stops in the post screen. Then when i restart it starts restarting itself several times and then i wont start at all, after resetting the bios a couple of times it automatically flashes back to version f3 and im back to where I started.

I notice allot of other people have the same problem, what to do ? I have no floppy drive and would like to continue in that fashion :p  I read there is some way to make usb divices bootable maybe...

Make sure you dont have your system overclocked when flashing and that no anti-virus is running. I flashed to F10 a while back and reflashed to F7 because i didntl ike F10.
February 10, 2007 11:13:02 AM

No overclocking, no antivirus :) 
February 10, 2007 11:20:11 AM

Seems I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3P rev 2 so i have a P after DS3 which evidently is not the same thing, wonder if I've been owned and gotten a lesser card or something. No wonder that the bios doesn't work atleast :) 

EDIT:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Product...

Seems to be a better card atleast on paper, wonder if its better for OC though
!