Time to update Windows 2000? - 37 updates

I had security issues with Windows 2000 professional.
I was advised to update my Windows.
I went to MSoft site and found 37 updates reccommended
including Service Pak 4.
I downloaded everything and rebooted for updates to take
effect.
My computer is doing the update process on reboot and has
gone over 4 hours.
Is this normal? How long could this many updates take?
It is using the disk drive heavily.

"vkott" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had security issues with Windows 2000 professional.
> I was advised to update my Windows.
> I went to MSoft site and found 37 updates reccommended
> including Service Pak 4.
> I downloaded everything and rebooted for updates to take
> effect.
> My computer is doing the update process on reboot and has
> gone over 4 hours.
> Is this normal? How long could this many updates take?
> It is using the disk drive heavily.

Service pack 4 can cause a download of upto 100+ MB. You do not say
what speed download you have. If it is slow, this might account for your
problem.
Normally with such an update, you must install this separately. Is this what
you are doing?

Ed

Ed,
My connection speed is a business DSL at 768MB.
The Microsoft site showed Service Pak4 needed to be
installed first. I downloaded Service Pak4 and 37 updates
and then did install. I thought it would do the Service
Pak4 and then the other updates. Things went fine with
the download of everything - it took 20-30 minutes. My
system was saving a backup of files also. Then I was
prompted that I would need to reboot for changes to take
effect. I did the reboot and left the computer after
nearly five hours with it still chugging away with a very
busy hard drive and high CPU utilization.
This seemed very long!! I hope things are not messed up!
What happens if I power off and on again?
Thanks, Van

> Ed,
> My connection speed is a business DSL at 768MB.
> The Microsoft site showed Service Pak4 needed to be
> installed first. I downloaded Service Pak4 and 37 updates
> and then did install. I thought it would do the Service
> Pak4 and then the other updates. Things went fine with
> the download of everything - it took 20-30 minutes. My
> system was saving a backup of files also. Then I was
> prompted that I would need to reboot for changes to take
> effect. I did the reboot and left the computer after
> nearly five hours with it still chugging away with a very
> busy hard drive and high CPU utilization.
> This seemed very long!! I hope things are not messed up!
> What happens if I power off and on again?
> Thanks, Van

The service pack download is just a couple of hundred k. It then downloads
the 100mb OR more
depending on what you have on your system. One of the options when one does
the installation interactively asks if you want to create an archive. I
don't know if this is invoked when you run a script.

Some of the updates will not be required if you put SP4 on 1st.

I don't know what is taking so long unless you have run out of paging space.
That could do it.
My suggestions:
Why not let it run overnight. I don't know what would happen if you
interrupted SP4. If it still is chunking away, then kill it. Power off. Just
do SP4 interactively. And then continue.