My E:/ Drive crashed; what now?

February 26, 2005 1:21:02 PM

Hi
I had a C:/Drive, E:/ Logical drive/partion; the E:/ crashed (for what
reason I know not why; I did a nornal shutdown and when I rebotted it was
gone) I tried to reformat (long) and after reformatting to 100% it produced
an error message: could not complete reformat. I proceeded to do a quick
reformat and received the blue screen of death! My C:/ lost no data and works
fine. My question is: is there a way to check whats wrong with the E:/ so I
can reformat it and if I delete the E:/ do I have to reinstall XP and do a
reformat of the C:/? When I checked the disk management screen (just after
the crash) it showed the C:/ & E:/ as being healthy as it does now--whats
with this? XP home, 120 GB HD, 516 MB ROm the system has been up 1.5 years
and never had a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

More about : drive crashed

February 26, 2005 3:46:43 PM

Diagnostic software is available from the hard drive manufacturer's web
site.

"firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I had a C:/Drive, E:/ Logical drive/partion; the E:/ crashed (for what
> reason I know not why; I did a nornal shutdown and when I rebotted it was
> gone) I tried to reformat (long) and after reformatting to 100% it
> produced
> an error message: could not complete reformat. I proceeded to do a quick
> reformat and received the blue screen of death! My C:/ lost no data and
> works
> fine. My question is: is there a way to check whats wrong with the E:/ so
> can reformat it and if I delete the E:/ do I have to reinstall XP and do a
> reformat of the C:/? When I checked the disk management screen (just after
> the crash) it showed the C:/ & E:/ as being healthy as it does now--whats
> with this? XP home, 120 GB HD, 516 MB ROm the system has been up 1.5 years
> and never had a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 5:05:45 PM

Reformatting the drive cannot affect Windows. The drive may be bad. Is it
an external or internal drive?

"firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I had a C:/Drive, E:/ Logical drive/partion; the E:/ crashed (for what
> reason I know not why; I did a nornal shutdown and when I rebotted it was
> gone) I tried to reformat (long) and after reformatting to 100% it
> produced
> an error message: could not complete reformat. I proceeded to do a quick
> reformat and received the blue screen of death! My C:/ lost no data and
> works
> fine. My question is: is there a way to check whats wrong with the E:/ so
> can reformat it and if I delete the E:/ do I have to reinstall XP and do a
> reformat of the C:/? When I checked the disk management screen (just after
> the crash) it showed the C:/ & E:/ as being healthy as it does now--whats
> with this? XP home, 120 GB HD, 516 MB ROm the system has been up 1.5 years
> and never had a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.
Related resources
February 26, 2005 8:45:50 PM

"firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I had a C:/Drive, E:/ Logical drive/partion; the E:/ crashed (for what
> reason I know not why; I did a nornal shutdown and when I rebotted it was
> gone) I tried to reformat (long) and after reformatting to 100% it
produced
> an error message: could not complete reformat. I proceeded to do a quick
> reformat and received the blue screen of death! My C:/ lost no data and
works
> fine. My question is: is there a way to check whats wrong with the E:/ so
> can reformat it and if I delete the E:/ do I have to reinstall XP and do a
> reformat of the C:/? When I checked the disk management screen (just after
> the crash) it showed the C:/ & E:/ as being healthy as it does now--whats
> with this? XP home, 120 GB HD, 516 MB ROm the system has been up 1.5 years
> and never had a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

disk management showing the drive as healthy does not have
any real bearing on the drive's integrety.
the drive is probably bad...
but run the mfg's diagnostic at once...
and be prepared to backup your data if the drive does not pass the test
February 27, 2005 12:55:01 PM

Hi Colin
Ricer46
Thanks for your reply. I have to be a little repetitive so that I'm sure I
understand, so bear with me. 1) if I delete the E:/ partition can I then
proceed to create a new E:/ with out having to reformat C:/ and do I start
the process of size again? 2) when one formats a partition there a choices:
quick format or long format and cluster size; do you have any suggestions? 3)
since last we spoke: CHKDSK for C:/: "Volume Clean"; WD diagnostic (for (1)
physical disk)test/repair: damaged sectors but repairable, passed test 4) can
one CHKDSK a none formatted partition (I've tried, no luck)? 5) have you
heard in the PC community that using: Lavasoft-Ad-aware,
Spybot-search&destroy, Spy Doctor or SpyBlaster have harmed Hard Drives? I
appreciate all the help I can get, thanks again.
PS I would like to format the E:/ partition but a little gun shy

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

> Reformatting the drive cannot affect Windows. The drive may be bad. Is it
> an external or internal drive?

> "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I had a C:/Drive, E:/ Logical drive/partion; the E:/ crashed (for what
> > reason I know not why; I did a nornal shutdown and when I rebotted it was
> > gone) I tried to reformat (long) and after reformatting to 100% it
> > produced
> > an error message: could not complete reformat. I proceeded to do a quick
> > reformat and received the blue screen of death! My C:/ lost no data and
> > works
> > fine. My question is: is there a way to check whats wrong with the E:/ so
> > can reformat it and if I delete the E:/ do I have to reinstall XP and do a
> > reformat of the C:/? When I checked the disk management screen (just after
> > the crash) it showed the C:/ & E:/ as being healthy as it does now--whats
> > with this? XP home, 120 GB HD, 516 MB ROm the system has been up 1.5 years
> > and never had a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:54:20 PM

I would not delete the partition unless I was creating space to merge with
another partition, and that can be dicey. I would do a full format on the
partition and let it go at that.

> Hi Colin
> Ricer46
> Thanks for your reply. I have to be a little repetitive so that I'm sure I
> understand, so bear with me. 1) if I delete the E:/ partition can I then
> proceed to create a new E:/ with out having to reformat C:/ and do I start
> the process of size again? 2) when one formats a partition there a
> choices:
> quick format or long format and cluster size; do you have any suggestions?
> 3)
> since last we spoke: CHKDSK for C:/: "Volume Clean"; WD diagnostic (for
> (1)
> physical disk)test/repair: damaged sectors but repairable, passed test 4)
> can
> one CHKDSK a none formatted partition (I've tried, no luck)? 5) have you
> heard in the PC community that using: Lavasoft-Ad-aware,
> Spybot-search&destroy, Spy Doctor or SpyBlaster have harmed Hard Drives? I
> appreciate all the help I can get, thanks again.
> PS I would like to format the E:/ partition but a little gun shy
>
> On Saturday, February 26, 2005 at 1:44 pm, Ricer46 wrote:
>>Just deleting E: would throw away all that disk space. To combine it into
>>one partition
>>(not the best option) you'd have to re-install.
>>

> "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
>
>> Reformatting the drive cannot affect Windows. The drive may be bad. Is
>> it
>> an external or internal drive?
>>
>> --
>> "firewire" <firewire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > I had a C:/Drive, E:/ Logical drive/partion; the E:/ crashed (for what
>> > reason I know not why; I did a nornal shutdown and when I rebotted it
>> > was
>> > gone) I tried to reformat (long) and after reformatting to 100% it
>> > produced
>> > an error message: could not complete reformat. I proceeded to do a
>> > quick
>> > reformat and received the blue screen of death! My C:/ lost no data and
>> > works
>> > fine. My question is: is there a way to check whats wrong with the E:/
>> > so
>> > can reformat it and if I delete the E:/ do I have to reinstall XP and
>> > do a
>> > reformat of the C:/? When I checked the disk management screen (just
>> > after
>> > the crash) it showed the C:/ & E:/ as being healthy as it does
>> > now--whats
>> > with this? XP home, 120 GB HD, 516 MB ROm the system has been up 1.5
>> > years
>> > and never had a problem. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 4:56:42 PM

I have not heard that any antispyware programs can harm a hard drive. I
have heard that deletions by such programs can mistakenly remove a file
needed by another program. Simply deleting files would not harm a hard
drive and should not harm the file system.

!