I highly recommend this lvl 20 mod!

Careena - Krakona Rising.

Downloaded a couple of weeks ago (when SurfPatrol was down).
Started playing a couple of nights ago.

Wow.

This is one of the best mods I've played so far, more impressive
because you start at level 20, and I did not see where there were any
balance issues (leveller included at the quirkky "ship of fools"
intro).

When I was playing last night, after the kiddies were in bed, I
realized that I had stopped thinking about how much gold I had or where
I could buy "mo' better stuff" - I was more interested in the story.

The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."
42 answers Last reply
More about highly recommend

    <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Careena - Krakona Rising.
    >
    > Downloaded a couple of weeks ago (when SurfPatrol was down).
    > Started playing a couple of nights ago.
    >
    > Wow.
    >
    > This is one of the best mods I've played so far, more impressive
    > because you start at level 20, and I did not see where there were any
    > balance issues (leveller included at the quirkky "ship of fools"
    > intro).
    >
    > When I was playing last night, after the kiddies were in bed, I
    > realized that I had stopped thinking about how much gold I had or where
    > I could buy "mo' better stuff" - I was more interested in the story.
    >
    > The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
    > monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."

    Ok - downloaded & installed it. Give me a week or so & I'll let you know.
    In the meantime why not try the Aeilund "Trilogy" - does anyone know if the
    fourth part ever got made ?

    alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Careena - Krakona Rising.
    >
    > Downloaded a couple of weeks ago (when SurfPatrol was down).
    > Started playing a couple of nights ago.
    >
    > Wow.
    >
    > This is one of the best mods I've played so far, more impressive
    > because you start at level 20, and I did not see where there were any
    > balance issues (leveller included at the quirkky "ship of fools"
    > intro).
    >
    > When I was playing last night, after the kiddies were in bed, I
    > realized that I had stopped thinking about how much gold I had or where
    > I could buy "mo' better stuff" - I was more interested in the story.
    >
    > The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
    > monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."

    Hm. That's surprising when it's marked Roleplaying - Light.

    Maxon wrote:
    > Yeah - I thought that too - I didn't DL it because it said Hack and
    Slash -
    > heavy, RP - light. I get very, VERY bored with too much fighting.
    >
    > "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
    > > Hm. That's surprising when it's marked Roleplaying - Light.

    I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. I don't remember
    offhand if I saw it recommended somewhere or not - I don't think it
    was. I think I just stumbled on it whilst browsing the vault.

    You don't always get a ton of RP choices - lots of times, being rude
    and polite leads to the same conversation options or results (but not
    always). But it's consistent and well done (misspellings and grammar
    oopsies are at a minimum).

    It's got more RP than a lot of mods that bill themselves as
    "Role-playing - Heavy" or "Med."

    Download it and let me know what you think. The intro is a bit hokey
    and metagame, but once you enter into the mod, it's really fun.

    And sometimes, there is the odd metagame experience - last night, I
    encountered an NPC that is one of the creators "advertising" some
    stuff. I think I mentioned the odd "ship of fools" intro - that part is
    mostly out of character meta stuff. But I have found the story and
    characters to be compelling.

    And there _is_ a fair amount of fighting... so if you compare the
    Hack/slash to RP, it's more the former.

    <some spoilers ahead>

    <Spoilers, some major, some minor>

    I think part of it is that I was rarely worried about getting better
    gear or getting more gold.

    I recently played a mod where, during the entire mod, I felt poor -
    never had enough for potions, and had lower quality gear. AC was bad,
    so I was getting hit all the time and using up what potions I could
    afford in combat. So I spent all my time gathering stuff, going back
    to a merchant to sell it, and buying more stuff. What really pissed me
    off about that mod was that I would never could get enough to buy the
    one or two really good items (e.g. +5 McGuffin) that a merchant was
    selling - and there were _no_ intermediate items (all the +1 mcguffins
    you could want, but no +2 - +4 Mcguffins - ).

    If you keep failing a save vs fear, you save up for something that
    helps your save or makes you immune. In this mod, you get the basics
    for gear covered quickly (items for haste, regeneration, then various
    immunities), so you focus on the story rather than on getting gear.

    In this mod, there is lots of custom gear, though few merchants.
    Heh, even most of the gear has its own backstory :)
    Full potions of Heal are limited, most merchants carry none and a few
    carry up to three (hey, there is a war in the background), so you have
    to conserve - none of that "I can beat anything as long as I have 20
    potions of Heal ready in the quickslots" stuff.

    The NPC's have their own personalities, backstories and motivation.
    The world seems more "alive" and real than in many mods. Last night, a
    polite NPC came up and introduced himself. After a short conversation
    about his family, he mentioned that since he had taken some gold and
    accepted a contract from a certain green-skinned creature*, he was
    regretably honor-bound now to kill me.

    Now, in several mods I've played, the maker handles this by letting you
    "hear" that some assassin has been hired - from discussing with some
    fella at a tavern, or someone coming up saying the have information in
    exchange for gold. Having the assassin introduce himself politely -
    that's classy (not as classic as "Hello, my name in Inigo Montoya. You
    killed my father. Prepare to die")

    *one of two major villians. The green fella is an avatar - you killed
    one of the avatars of a demigod to beat it to an item that would have
    let the demigod achieve full godhood. To prevent the demigod from
    achieving godhood later, you decide to take the power for yourself
    (immortality is a bonus). But as you are being prepared to accept the
    power, an apparently random portal whisks you away to another planet,
    and the avatars are now stalking you here.

    The other major villian is the Krakona, apparently a surviving member
    of the ancient race of Overlords of this planet, thought to be long
    extinct. Kinda like the OC, I guess, but IMO more closely modeled on
    the Githyanki/Githzerai thing I've heard a bit about.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Yeah - I thought that too - I didn't DL it because it said Hack and Slash -
    heavy, RP - light. I get very, VERY bored with too much fighting.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message

    > > The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
    > > monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."
    >
    > Hm. That's surprising when it's marked Roleplaying - Light.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Maxon wrote:
    > Yeah - I thought that too - I didn't DL it because it said Hack and Slash -
    > heavy, RP - light. I get very, VERY bored with too much fighting.

    If I ever finish the mod I'm working on, it will only have a couple of
    chances to fight, and they'll be optional anyway. Hopefully I can finish
    it in another week or two!
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    OK - that sounds interesting. And thanks for taking the trouble to respond
    in such detail. I'll DL it and give it a try. I don't have a complete
    aversion to fighting; it's just that I get really PO if I have to do a fight
    more than, say, 3-4 times in order to work out a strategy to win it. I'm
    just more interested in story-telling than virtual fighting. I suppose I
    also like it when mod-makers design different solutions to problems than
    just killing the other guy. I like your comment about misspellings and
    grammar - nothing disrupts the flow of the story for me more than the
    mis-use of words or some ghastly colloquialism. Or perhaps I'm a terrible
    literary snob - a good education can be a burden you know.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

> [...]
    > that's classy (not as classic as "Hello, my name in Inigo Montoya. You
    > killed my father. Prepare to die")
    >
    > *one of two major villians. The green fella is an avatar - you killed
    > one of the avatars of a demigod to beat it to an item that would have
    > let the demigod achieve full godhood. To prevent the demigod from
    > achieving godhood later, you decide to take the power for yourself
    > (immortality is a bonus). But as you are being prepared to accept the
    > power, an apparently random portal whisks you away to another planet,
    > and the avatars are now stalking you here.
    >
    > The other major villian is the Krakona, apparently a surviving member
    > of the ancient race of Overlords of this planet, thought to be long
    > extinct. Kinda like the OC, I guess, but IMO more closely modeled on
    > the Githyanki/Githzerai thing I've heard a bit about.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I would be interested in this John so let us know when you do get it done.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    > Maxon wrote:
    > > Yeah - I thought that too - I didn't DL it because it said Hack and
    Slash -
    > > heavy, RP - light. I get very, VERY bored with too much fighting.
    >
    > If I ever finish the mod I'm working on, it will only have a couple of
    > chances to fight, and they'll be optional anyway. Hopefully I can finish
    > it in another week or two!
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Maxon wrote:
    > I would be interested in this John so let us know when you do get it done.

    I definitely will. I haven't worked on it for several months, but as of
    yesterday I got really interested in it again for some reason. I'd hate
    for all that work to go to waste, so I'm going to finish it soon and
    submit it.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    God bless you, Maxon.
    There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
    the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
    modern apathy.

    DS

    Maxon has brought this to us :

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Dawnseeker wrote:
    > God bless you, Maxon.
    > There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
    > the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
    > modern apathy.
    >
    > DS
    >

    > Maxon has brought this to us :
    > I like your comment about misspellings and
    >
    >> grammar - nothing disrupts the flow of the story for me more than the
    >> mis-use of words or some ghastly colloquialism. Or perhaps I'm a
    >> terrible
    >> literary snob - a good education can be a burden you know.
    >>
    >> Best wishes
    >> Maxon

    Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
    module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
    harder to get it right.

    Kharsis
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I admit I sometimes have an almost overwhelming urge to write to certain
    module makers and suggest I correct *all* their written dialogues for them:
    starting with their, there and they're; and then there's site and sight; and
    then subject, verb and object; case; tense; punctuation - oh lord, don't get
    me started. Sigh.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "Kharsis" <kharsis@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Dawnseeker wrote:
    > > God bless you, Maxon.
    > > There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
    > > the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
    > > modern apathy.
    > >
    > > DS
    > >

    > > Maxon has brought this to us :
    > > I like your comment about misspellings and
    > >
    > >> grammar - nothing disrupts the flow of the story for me more than the
    > >> mis-use of words or some ghastly colloquialism. Or perhaps I'm a
    > >> terrible
    > >> literary snob - a good education can be a burden you know.
    > >>
    > >> Best wishes
    > >> Maxon
    > >

    > Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
    > module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
    > harder to get it right.
    >
    > Kharsis
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Kharsis <kharsis@ihug.co.nz> looked up from reading the entrails of the
    porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >Dawnseeker wrote:
    >> God bless you, Maxon.
    >> There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
    >> the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
    >> modern apathy.
    >>
    >> DS
    >>

    >> Maxon has brought this to us :
    >> I like your comment about misspellings and
    >>
    >>> grammar - nothing disrupts the flow of the story for me more than the
    >>> mis-use of words or some ghastly colloquialism. Or perhaps I'm a
    >>> terrible
    >>> literary snob - a good education can be a burden you know.
    >>>
    >>> Best wishes
    >>> Maxon
    >>

    >Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
    >module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
    >harder to get it right.

    Module writers like usenet posters in general have shown this is exactly
    right.

    My experience is the Europeans, learning English as their
    second/third/fourth/fifth language actually care about getting it right.
    Most are happy to get a reply that gently corrects a mistake.

    It's the Americans (for the most part) who only have one language and
    can't be bothered getting that even remotely right.

    It's gotten so bad that when I come across someone who actually spells
    'are', 'you', 'anyone' instead of those 'r' 'u' 'ne1' abominations
    and/or knows the difference between to/too/two and their/there/they're I
    assume they're European not American.

    How on earth did the education system sink so low?

    Xocyll
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Maxon wrote:
    > I admit I sometimes have an almost overwhelming urge to write to certain
    > module makers and suggest I correct *all* their written dialogues for them:
    > starting with their, there and they're; and then there's site and sight; and
    > then subject, verb and object; case; tense; punctuation - oh lord, don't get
    > me started. Sigh.

    LOL, I actually *have* written to a couple of builders, asking if they
    needed helped writing dialogue or anything like that. Very subtle, I hope!

    But I'm the same way...writing is very important to me, so I make it's
    always correct. And aside from that, it really does detract from the
    experience if words are misspelled or used incorrectly.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    >>Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
    >>module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
    >>harder to get it right.
    >
    > Module writers like usenet posters in general have shown this is exactly
    > right.
    >
    > My experience is the Europeans, learning English as their
    > second/third/fourth/fifth language actually care about getting it right.
    > Most are happy to get a reply that gently corrects a mistake.
    >
    > It's the Americans (for the most part) who only have one language and
    > can't be bothered getting that even remotely right.
    >
    > It's gotten so bad that when I come across someone who actually spells
    > 'are', 'you', 'anyone' instead of those 'r' 'u' 'ne1' abominations
    > and/or knows the difference between to/too/two and their/there/they're I
    > assume they're European not American.
    >
    > How on earth did the education system sink so low?
    >
    > Xocyll

    Sadly, it's not just the Americans - the UK are headed the same way and
    (possibly) in a head to head race. The only way many of us get to learn
    what a gerundive or ablative are is if we learn as we learn a foreign
    language.
    As a game player considering partying up, I look for potential team members
    who use English that I can understand. Not surprisingly, I've come to know
    a number of mainland Europeans and Scandinavians over the years !!

    Colin E
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message

    > <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Careena - Krakona Rising.
    >>
    >> Downloaded a couple of weeks ago (when SurfPatrol was down).
    >> Started playing a couple of nights ago.
    >>
    >> Wow.
    >>
    >> This is one of the best mods I've played so far, more impressive
    >> because you start at level 20, and I did not see where there were any
    >> balance issues (leveller included at the quirkky "ship of fools"
    >> intro).
    >>
    >> When I was playing last night, after the kiddies were in bed, I
    >> realized that I had stopped thinking about how much gold I had or where
    >> I could buy "mo' better stuff" - I was more interested in the story.
    >>
    >> The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
    >> monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."
    >

    > Ok - downloaded & installed it. Give me a week or so & I'll let you know.
    > In the meantime why not try the Aeilund "Trilogy" - does anyone know if
    > the fourth part ever got made ?

    Just given up - it's NOTHING but one big fight from start to where I've got
    bored with it :o(

    Sorry !
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    How can one person say this:

    >>>I was more interested in the story.
    >>>The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
    >>>monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."

    and another say this:

    > it's NOTHING but one big fight from start to where I've got
    > bored with it :o(

    :)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > How can one person say this:
    >
    > and another say this:
    > > it's NOTHING but one big fight from start to where I've got
    > > bored with it :o(
    > :)

    Usenet truism: YMMV :)

    < spoilers again, below, not much spoiler space -- be warned!>

    No worries, Manky - just curious, did you get as far as the part where
    you are taken by the portal? You are correct; there's a lot of
    fighting from the beginning (you have to board the ship that is
    attacking yours, follow the avatar to the hidden temple, beat the
    guardian dragon (toughest fight so far, IMO) to get to where the story
    gets interesting (IMO)

    There IS a lot of fighting. The right amount (IMO of course) may be too
    much for some and not enough for others.

    Often/usually, in this mod, killing your enemies is required to get the
    job done. I didn't put any skill points in pick pockets so I don't
    know if stealth is a viable alternative for those parts, and I don't
    think there were more than one or two situations when you would be able
    to persuade/bluff in different situtations so far.

    I recall there were a couple of times when I could have selected an
    "evil path" in the dialogue (suggesting alliances with an evil one,
    betraying allies etc), but I've followed a good path so I'm not sure
    how far down an evil path it would take me. I may replay as evil
    sometime and see how it goes (definite replay value, at least for me)

    I think a part of my reaction is that I just finished (sort of) a
    module that there was so little reward, action (despite a fair number
    of combats and enemy respawns), or direction that it felt empty and
    unreal. I always felt poor and desperate for more/better stuff. Heck,
    despite being around 10th level towards the end, I always felt more
    like a first level character (not enough potions, needing better
    weapons and armor, etc)

    In Careena: Krakona Rising, my character is thinking: OK, about to
    achieve godhood and immortality here, when Wham! Strange portal whisks
    my character away to another planet.
    I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed :)

    So I know I need to get back to the hidden temple to stop the evil
    avatar from taking the godhood powers (the evil demigod sends an
    occasional avatar to plague me) and I know the Krakona (ancient
    overlord race) is a Bad Thing I should probably stop. This mod and
    storyline has an appropriately epic feel to it and I don't feel like
    I'm just in it for getting more gold or better gear (despite once or
    twice when my gear was stripped).

    Hmmm... that reminds me of something. Let me compare three mods and
    how they handled item stripping and subsequent getting more gear:
    Careena, Sands of Fate: Shadows over Heliopolis (SoF), and Beggar's
    Rattle II: Oto the Newtslayer (BRII). Now, I enjoyed all 3 and in the
    order listed (so far - not finished with Careena yet), but how they
    handled item stripping sort of shows different approaches. (most mods
    that do this just strip you on starting)

    <Major Spoilers below>

    In SoF, the story takes place after HotU. You are a hero, conqueror,
    and you've defeated Mephistopheles. You're bored. So one night, you
    dream of a request for help on a distant plane. If you accept, your
    gear is stripped because you are doing some kind of spirit/plane/dream
    travel, and your gear can't accompany you. Nice explanation of why
    your gear is stripped. You can choose to go and get stripped, or not go
    (ending the mod, IIRC). I don't remember if you get to keep any gear
    at all, but you do keep a chunk of your gold (flat amount set by the
    mod), so you can resupply when you get to town (which is where you
    start).

    In BRII, you start with your ship being attacked (by unseen ship) by an
    enemy you made in the previous mod, BRI. You are told by the captain
    that the ship's only hope of escaping is if they let you off on a skiff
    near an island, as the enemy will follow you instead of the ship. Your
    only way off the island is a sphinx, who says he can't carry any of
    your gear - not a robe, ring or anything, so your gear is stripped (but
    you keep _all_ your gold). You have no real options at all during this
    process. You stop over at another island, where you can find a suit of
    "charred armor", a dozen scimitars, and now suddenly the sphinx is
    willing/able to carry you _and your low end replacement gear_ the rest
    of the way.

    In Careena, you start with just what you are wearing (equipped gear)
    and your gold, but before you get into combat, you speak with your
    grandfather who has arranged for you to have access to "ancestral" gear
    - powerful custom items the family has accrued. You have several
    combats (boarding the enemy ship, defeating the guardian dragon, the
    demigod's combat avatar) but end up on the other planet. After
    starting out, you encounter another of the demigod's avatars, but not a
    combat avatar. It declines combat knowng you can beat it, but afer a
    discussion, casts a spell to strip you of your items and gold, and says
    something like, "Let's see how long you can survive, naked and
    penniless on this planet" before vanishing. Soon after, you encounter a
    helpful spirit (or traveler, don't recall offhand) near a monastery who
    teleports you to a cave which was the site of an ancient, epic battle
    (remains of the dragons and warrior still evident) where you can
    scrounge some suitably epic equipment - though still penniless for the
    time being, you don't have to suffer with plain chainmail and longsword
    at 20th level :)

    I have to say, personally I like Careena's method best, SoF as a close
    second, and BRII as a distant 3rd, with other mods (strip on enter) a
    very distant 4th (explain why I am x level, but have no gear?). I know
    it's done for module balance reasons (I have a character with an AC at
    100+ because of some really bizarre uber gear module), but I like to
    have at least an explanation.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote:
    > I got off the ship, released a demon-henchman, went into a maze,

    Hmmm... don't recall the demon-henchman. I've got a coupla things that
    I can use to summon aid which I haven't used yet, and I suspect one of
    them might be the demon hench.

    > found a gold rod & met an indestructable wizard.

    I don't recall an indestructable wizard. After the gold rod, you go
    through a portal and fight the combat avatar - maybe this was the
    indestructable wizard? It's one of those things that you converse
    first, then fight.

    > It was nothing but fight :o(
    > Fight is OK in moderation, but I prefer quests which involve
    searching &
    > puzzling things out.
    > Each to their own, I expect.

    Yep, sorry you didn't like it so far (you were still early on in the
    module from the sound of it). There is a lot of searching later on
    (you need to collect crystal pieces to make a magic dingus, then find
    the Seer who can put it together for you so that it can take you home)
    but there's a lot of fighting, moreso than puzzling things out.

    It seems to be a fairly large and complex module. This mod is pretty
    fast paced though, and you don't spend a lot of time running back and
    forth between point A and point B, just to run back to point A to sell
    stuff.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote:
    > "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > > Lack of respect for teachers in general
    >
    > In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.
    > To quot a single example of the myriad problems I've had with the
    school, I
    > had one teacher bleating about my son's bad behaviour, but would in
    no way
    > punish the boy. When I suggested grounding the boy for a day or so
    this same
    > teacher threatened to report me to social services for abuse and
    cruelty.

    <nods> My son's current teacher rewards misbehaviour. If the 'bad'
    kids go x days without misbehaving, they get some reward. "Good" kids
    get nothing.

    Ooops, let me take that back. "Good" kids get swindled.
    They get stickers based on doing well on selected homework and the
    teacher promised a special reward for any kid that got 100 stickers. My
    son soon figured out that this was impossible, given that the teacher
    gives out less than two stickers per week and about 40 weeks of school.
    I plan on bringing this up to the principal after this year, when he's
    safe from retribution.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Xocyll wrote:

    > How on earth did the education system sink so low?

    Lack of respect for teachers in general, pay that is more fitting for a
    fast-food cook, and a general refusal to fund public education (or, in
    the case of some recent events, like No Child Left Behind, an
    insistence on using it as a front for military recruitment activity).
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > John Salerno wrote:
    >> How can one person say this:
    > more
    >>
    >> and another say this:
    >> > it's NOTHING but one big fight from start to where I've got
    >> > bored with it :o(
    >> :)
    >
    > Usenet truism: YMMV :)
    >
    > < spoilers again, below, not much spoiler space -- be warned!>
    >

    > No worries, Manky - just curious, did you get as far as the part where
    > you are taken by the portal? You are correct; there's a lot of
    > fighting from the beginning (you have to board the ship that is
    > attacking yours, follow the avatar to the hidden temple, beat the
    > guardian dragon (toughest fight so far, IMO) to get to where the story
    > gets interesting (IMO)
    >
    > There IS a lot of fighting. The right amount (IMO of course) may be too
    > much for some and not enough for others.

    I got off the ship, released a demon-henchman, went into a maze, found a
    gold rod & met an indestructable wizard.
    It was nothing but fight :o(
    Fight is OK in moderation, but I prefer quests which involve searching &
    puzzling things out.

    Each to their own, I expect.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Xocyll wrote:
    >

    >> How on earth did the education system sink so low?
    >>

    > Lack of respect for teachers in general

    In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.

    To quot a single example of the myriad problems I've had with the school, I
    had one teacher bleating about my son's bad behaviour, but would in no way
    punish the boy. When I suggested grounding the boy for a day or so this same
    teacher threatened to report me to social services for abuse and cruelty.
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > > Xocyll wrote:
    > >

    > >> How on earth did the education system sink so low?
    > >>

    > > Lack of respect for teachers in general
    >
    > In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.

    You could say that's why schools and parents get the teachers they deserve -
    what self-respecting professional would want to work in an environment with
    attitudes like that?

    Best wishes
    Maxon
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Manky Badger wrote:
    >> "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    >> > Lack of respect for teachers in general
    >>
    >> In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.
    >> To quot a single example of the myriad problems I've had with the
    > school, I
    >> had one teacher bleating about my son's bad behaviour, but would in
    > no way
    >> punish the boy. When I suggested grounding the boy for a day or so
    > this same
    >> teacher threatened to report me to social services for abuse and
    > cruelty.
    >
    > <nods> My son's current teacher rewards misbehaviour. If the 'bad'
    > kids go x days without misbehaving, they get some reward. "Good" kids
    > get nothing.
    >
    > Ooops, let me take that back. "Good" kids get swindled.
    > They get stickers based on doing well on selected homework and the
    > teacher promised a special reward for any kid that got 100 stickers. My
    > son soon figured out that this was impossible, given that the teacher
    > gives out less than two stickers per week and about 40 weeks of school.
    > I plan on bringing this up to the principal after this year, when he's
    > safe from retribution.

    My daughter was very fed up with school and didn't want to be there.
    She soon learned that if she wanted a day off all she had to do was muck
    about.
    Bad behaviour is rewarded with a day off school.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message

    >> > Lack of respect for teachers in general
    >>
    >> In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.
    >>
    > You could say that's why schools and parents get the teachers they
    > deserve -
    > what self-respecting professional would want to work in an environment
    > with
    > attitudes like that?

    Respect is something that is earned, not given. The majority (not all) of
    current teachers of my acquaintance do little to earn the respect of the
    pupils or the confidence of the parents.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I think my comment stands then.

    >> Respect is something that is earned, not given. The majority (not all) of
    > current teachers of my acquaintance do little to earn the respect of the
    > pupils or the confidence of the parents.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    In article <mn.3cc57d5579605b01.28733@excite.com>, Dawnseeker
    <nospam_dawnseeker3@excite.com> wrote:

    > God bless you, Maxon.
    > There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
    > the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
    > modern apathy.

    [Applause]

    Richard.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    In article <0tGdnc91r-PH2ODfRVn-rA@rcn.net>, John Salerno
    <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    > Maxon wrote:
    > > I would be interested in this John so let us know when you do get it done.
    >
    > I definitely will. I haven't worked on it for several months, but as of
    > yesterday I got really interested in it again for some reason. I'd hate
    > for all that work to go to waste, so I'm going to finish it soon and
    > submit it.

    I too would be interested.

    Richard.
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    >I think my comment stands then.

    Equally as cryptic ?

    > "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >>> Respect is something that is earned, not given. The majority (not all)
    >>> of
    >> current teachers of my acquaintance do little to earn the respect of the
    >> pupils or the confidence of the parents.

  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Richard Buckle wrote:
    > In article <0tGdnc91r-PH2ODfRVn-rA@rcn.net>, John Salerno
    > <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Maxon wrote:
    >>
    >>>I would be interested in this John so let us know when you do get it done.
    >>
    >>I definitely will. I haven't worked on it for several months, but as of
    >>yesterday I got really interested in it again for some reason. I'd hate
    >>for all that work to go to waste, so I'm going to finish it soon and
    >>submit it.
    >

    > I too would be interested.
    >
    > Richard.

    Cool. It's exciting to be close to being done. I figure I have two big
    things left to create (specifically, the ending!) and then I'll probably
    ask some people on the Bioware forums to test it first.

    Basically the mod is about getting involved in the lives of the
    villagers and learning more about them and the history of the town.
    There are a lot of side quests, some of which are tied to the main story
    but not necessary.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Colin E wrote:
    >>>Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
    >>>module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
    >>>harder to get it right.
    >>
    >>Module writers like usenet posters in general have shown this is exactly
    >>right.
    >>
    >>My experience is the Europeans, learning English as their
    >>second/third/fourth/fifth language actually care about getting it right.
    >>Most are happy to get a reply that gently corrects a mistake.
    >>
    >>It's the Americans (for the most part) who only have one language and
    >>can't be bothered getting that even remotely right.
    >>
    >>It's gotten so bad that when I come across someone who actually spells
    >>'are', 'you', 'anyone' instead of those 'r' 'u' 'ne1' abominations
    >>and/or knows the difference between to/too/two and their/there/they're I
    >>assume they're European not American.
    >>
    >>How on earth did the education system sink so low?
    >>
    >>Xocyll
    >

    > Sadly, it's not just the Americans - the UK are headed the same way and
    > (possibly) in a head to head race. The only way many of us get to learn
    > what a gerundive or ablative are is if we learn as we learn a foreign
    > language.
    > As a game player considering partying up, I look for potential team members
    > who use English that I can understand. Not surprisingly, I've come to know
    > a number of mainland Europeans and Scandinavians over the years !!
    >
    > Colin E

    Its not just USA and UK standards going downhill. The same thing is
    happening in here in New Zealand and it's getting worse quickly.

    Kharsis
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote on 5/9/2005 :

    >> "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message

    Respect *used* to be given to the vocation (as it should)... most kids
    go to public school, and have gotten so spoiled with the idea that
    it's there for them no matter what. Blaming the teacher is like
    throwing the baby out with the proverbial bathwater... a lot of
    parents/schoolchildren are equally deserving of blame. How many parents
    actually go to PTA? (Answer: not many) How many parents actually look
    at their kids homework? (answer: not many) IMHO, there are times when
    it's time for the parents to stop trying so hard to be their children's
    *friends* and start trying harder to be *parents*, and now it's the
    *teachers* who don't deserve respect? If there is a lack of respect for
    teachers, it is not always the teachers fault. There is certainly no
    easy answer to the problem, but to even begin to correct the issue a
    little, perhaps we should start looking to see what can be done at
    home.

    >>> In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.
    >>>
    >> You could say that's why schools and parents get the teachers they deserve
    >> -
    >> what self-respecting professional would want to work in an environment with
    >> attitudes like that?
    >
    > Respect is something that is earned, not given. The majority (not all) of
    > current teachers of my acquaintance do little to earn the respect of the
    > pupils or the confidence of the parents.

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes
    Of visionary enchantment
    Would never have an end.

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger has brought this to us :
    >>I think my comment stands then.
    >
    > Equally as cryptic ?
    >

    >> "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message

    >>> current teachers of my acquaintance do little to earn the respect of the
    >>> pupils or the confidence of the parents.

    Respect used to be given to the vocation (as it should)... most kids go
    to public school, and have gotten so spoiled with the idea that it's
    there for them no matter what. Blaming the teacher is like throwing the
    baby out with the proverbial bathwater... a lot of
    parents/schoolchildren are equally deserving of blame. How many parents
    actually go to PTA? (Answer: not many) How many parents actually look
    at their kids homework? (answer: not many) IMHO, there are times when
    parents should stop trying so hard to be their children's friends and
    start trying harder to be parents, and now it's the teachers who don't
    deserve respect? If there is a lack of respect for teachers, it is not
    always the teachers fault. There is certainly no easy answer to the
    problem, but to even begin to correct the issue a little, perhaps we
    should start looking to see what can be done at home.

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes
    Of visionary enchantment
    Would never have an end.

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > >I think my comment stands then.
    >
    > Equally as cryptic ?

    What I'm saying is: If your kid is having trouble at school and is showing a
    lack of respect to the teachers, I wonder where she/he learned it from?
    This is what you said,

    "My daughter was very fed up with school and didn't want to be there.
    She soon learned that if she wanted a day off all she had to do was muck
    about.
    Bad behaviour is rewarded with a day off school."

    Bad behaviour is not rewarded with your disapproval and anger it would seem.

    Best wishes
    Maxon

    PS If you want to discuss this further, if would be better off-list, I
    think.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in
    > message
    >>
    >> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> >I think my comment stands then.
    >>
    >> Equally as cryptic ?
    >
    > What I'm saying is: If your kid is having trouble at school and is showing
    > lack of respect to the teachers, I wonder where she/he learned it from?
    > This is what you said,
    >
    > "My daughter was very fed up with school and didn't want to be there.
    > She soon learned that if she wanted a day off all she had to do was muck
    > about.
    > Bad behaviour is rewarded with a day off school."
    >
    > Bad behaviour is not rewarded with your disapproval and anger it would
    > seem.

    Oh, I agree totally, but when the teacher tells me that should I express
    disapproval and anger he will report me to the social services..... (as is
    wht actually happened) what other conclusion should I draw ?
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Dawnseeker" <nospam_dawnseeker3@excite.com> wrote in message
    > Manky Badger has brought this to us :
    >> "Maxon" <jen.magson@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>>I think my comment stands then.
    >>
    >> Equally as cryptic ?
    >>

    >>> "Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in
    >>> message

    > Respect used to be given to the vocation (as it should)... most kids go to
    > public school, and have gotten so spoiled with the idea that it's there
    > for them no matter what. Blaming the teacher is like throwing the baby out
    > with the proverbial bathwater... a lot of parents/schoolchildren are
    > equally deserving of blame. How many parents actually go to PTA? (Answer:
    > not many) How many parents actually look at their kids homework? (answer:
    > not many) IMHO, there are times when parents should stop trying so hard
    > to be their children's friends and start trying harder to be parents, and
    > now it's the teachers who don't deserve respect? If there is a lack of
    > respect for teachers, it is not always the teachers fault. There is
    > certainly no easy answer to the problem, but to even begin to correct the
    > issue a little, perhaps we should start looking to see what can be done at
    > home.

    I think you'll find most parents are open to suggestions.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote:
    > Oh, I agree totally, but when the teacher tells me that should I express
    > disapproval and anger he will report me to the social services..... (as is
    > wht actually happened) what other conclusion should I draw ?

    This is not directed solely at you. :)

    The obvious alternative conclusion is that this thread, though a fine topic, should be taken to email or more
    appropriate newsgroups. :)

    "I am not a net cop, but I play one on TV"
    --
    My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
    "Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

    It is usually true for those of us who are "taught" the language as a
    subject in school. This might be true for various reasons:

    # One actually needs to make an effort to try and excel at the language
    in order to get better grades

    # Since it a vital part of the curricullum in school as most of higher
    education [at least here in India] has the english togue as the medium
    of instruction

    As long as we are talking the proper usage of the language I would also
    point out a startling dichotomy that i have observed [again in the
    Indian context]:

    # Those in the urban centres, those that seemingly are easier on the
    ears due to their accents being seemingly proper are attrocious [not as
    a rule] in their writter use of the language as far as spellings and
    grammer are concerned

    # Those in the semi-urban or rural areas have much better grasp of the
    written usage and proper tense / case et al. However their spoken
    english leaves a bit to be desired

    In my opinion this is due to the priorities in the different segments
    or strata of society in general. The urban youth are busy trying to act
    more like the latest Hollywood actors or American Idol contestants
    [minus the musical talents]. Also the candidate that sounds correct and
    impressive usually gets the employment compared to the candidate who
    does not sound correct [private sector employers]. That is the reason
    you find more Civil servants coming from the rural heartland of the
    country than fromthe cities, whereas the private sector is almost
    entirely comprised of people fromthe cities.

    ------------
    Sorry i can neither top-post, not, bottom-post; i can just post as i
    use the google groups service for posting
    -------------
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    It is usually true for those of us who are "taught" the language as a
    subject in school. This might be true for various reasons:

    # One actually needs to make an effort to try and excel at the language
    in order to get better grades

    # Since it a vital part of the curricullum in school as most of higher
    education [at least here in India] has the english tongue as the medium
[...]

  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    GrimBold wrote:
    <snip interesting bit about spoken and written English in India>

    May I say that your English is far better than my Indian? :)
    To some extent, American youth are at a disadvantage because they are
    typically _required_ to learn only one language (other languages are
    typically elective courses). This results in a lesser understanding of
    other cultures, less exposure to the concept that other cultures don't
    all *think* and *perceive* the same events the same way (my wife, as
    middle-American as one can get, could not grasp the concept of why some
    Pakistani villagers said they would have helped hide a recently
    captured Al-quaeda operative had they known who he was - she had a hard
    time conceiving that the villagers might view him as a hero, holy
    warrior, or respected religious figure). There is also less exposure
    to grammatical structure and how it differs in other languages, and why
    it might be important. And because English is their native tongue,
    they are less rigorous about learning it, because it "comes naturally".

    > ------------
    > Sorry i can neither top-post, not, bottom-post; i can just post as i
    > use the google groups service for posting
    > -------------

    Actually, you can (at least in the version I'm looking at) but it's not
    as easy as it can be (I also use google groups). Typically, to the
    right of the poster name at the top is a link that says "options".
    Click on that and select "Reply" from the options, and google will
    quote the article to which you are replying. Selecting "Reply" from
    underneath the article does not quote the article.

    To get back on topic, I'd like to hear other opinions on this module,
    if anyone else has tried it. Maybe my tastes are just way different?

    I encountered what appears to eventually be a mod-stopping bug in one
    area (the reward includes one of the crystals needed to get off the
    planet) and will get to the author at the vault via my slow dialup at
    home (ugghh) but I skipped that quest for now and am still enjoying it
    very much.
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote:

    > "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Lack of respect for teachers in general
    >
    > In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.
    >
    > To quot a single example of the myriad problems I've had with the
    > school, I had one teacher bleating about my son's bad behaviour, but
    > would in no way punish the boy. When I suggested grounding the boy
    > for a day or so this same teacher threatened to report me to social
    > services for abuse and cruelty.

    I'm not in a position speak for the UK, but here in the US, they
    literally *can't* use any form of discipline other than sending the
    student to detention or suspending them (in public schools...private
    institutions have a lot more leeway), and in 90% of the cases that's
    even worse than doing nothing. Most children want to get out of
    school, and the teachers are forced to play along with them by force of
    law.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote:

    > > I think my comment stands then.
    >
    > Equally as cryptic ?

    In other words, this is a two way street. Teachers, and professionals
    in general, that don't get any respect usually will not bother trying
    to earn it, because it's already a battle on two fronts, both of which
    have a lot more leverage than they do.

World Of Warcraft Games Video Games