I highly recommend this lvl 20 mod!

Careena - Krakona Rising.

Downloaded a couple of weeks ago (when SurfPatrol was down).
Started playing a couple of nights ago.

Wow.

This is one of the best mods I've played so far, more impressive
because you start at level 20, and I did not see where there were any
balance issues (leveller included at the quirkky "ship of fools"
intro).

When I was playing last night, after the kiddies were in bed, I
realized that I had stopped thinking about how much gold I had or where
I could buy "mo' better stuff" - I was more interested in the story.

The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."

<alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Careena - Krakona Rising.
>
> Downloaded a couple of weeks ago (when SurfPatrol was down).
> Started playing a couple of nights ago.
>
> Wow.
>
> This is one of the best mods I've played so far, more impressive
> because you start at level 20, and I did not see where there were any
> balance issues (leveller included at the quirkky "ship of fools"
> intro).
>
> When I was playing last night, after the kiddies were in bed, I
> realized that I had stopped thinking about how much gold I had or where
> I could buy "mo' better stuff" - I was more interested in the story.
>
> The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
> monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."

Ok - downloaded & installed it. Give me a week or so & I'll let you know.
In the meantime why not try the Aeilund "Trilogy" - does anyone know if the
fourth part ever got made ?

alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
> Careena - Krakona Rising.
>
> Downloaded a couple of weeks ago (when SurfPatrol was down).
> Started playing a couple of nights ago.
>
> Wow.
>
> This is one of the best mods I've played so far, more impressive
> because you start at level 20, and I did not see where there were any
> balance issues (leveller included at the quirkky "ship of fools"
> intro).
>
> When I was playing last night, after the kiddies were in bed, I
> realized that I had stopped thinking about how much gold I had or where
> I could buy "mo' better stuff" - I was more interested in the story.
>
> The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
> monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."

Hm. That's surprising when it's marked Roleplaying - Light.

Maxon wrote:
> Yeah - I thought that too - I didn't DL it because it said Hack and
Slash -
> heavy, RP - light. I get very, VERY bored with too much fighting.
>
> "Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> > Hm. That's surprising when it's marked Roleplaying - Light.

I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised. I don't remember
offhand if I saw it recommended somewhere or not - I don't think it
was. I think I just stumbled on it whilst browsing the vault.

You don't always get a ton of RP choices - lots of times, being rude
and polite leads to the same conversation options or results (but not
always). But it's consistent and well done (misspellings and grammar
oopsies are at a minimum).

It's got more RP than a lot of mods that bill themselves as
"Role-playing - Heavy" or "Med."

Download it and let me know what you think. The intro is a bit hokey
and metagame, but once you enter into the mod, it's really fun.

And sometimes, there is the odd metagame experience - last night, I
encountered an NPC that is one of the creators "advertising" some
stuff. I think I mentioned the odd "ship of fools" intro - that part is
mostly out of character meta stuff. But I have found the story and
characters to be compelling.

And there _is_ a fair amount of fighting... so if you compare the
Hack/slash to RP, it's more the former.

<some spoilers ahead>

<Spoilers, some major, some minor>

I think part of it is that I was rarely worried about getting better
gear or getting more gold.

I recently played a mod where, during the entire mod, I felt poor -
never had enough for potions, and had lower quality gear. AC was bad,
so I was getting hit all the time and using up what potions I could
afford in combat. So I spent all my time gathering stuff, going back
to a merchant to sell it, and buying more stuff. What really pissed me
off about that mod was that I would never could get enough to buy the
one or two really good items (e.g. +5 McGuffin) that a merchant was
selling - and there were _no_ intermediate items (all the +1 mcguffins
you could want, but no +2 - +4 Mcguffins - ).

If you keep failing a save vs fear, you save up for something that
helps your save or makes you immune. In this mod, you get the basics
for gear covered quickly (items for haste, regeneration, then various
immunities), so you focus on the story rather than on getting gear.

In this mod, there is lots of custom gear, though few merchants.
Heh, even most of the gear has its own backstory :)
Full potions of Heal are limited, most merchants carry none and a few
carry up to three (hey, there is a war in the background), so you have
to conserve - none of that "I can beat anything as long as I have 20
potions of Heal ready in the quickslots" stuff.

The NPC's have their own personalities, backstories and motivation.
The world seems more "alive" and real than in many mods. Last night, a
polite NPC came up and introduced himself. After a short conversation
about his family, he mentioned that since he had taken some gold and
accepted a contract from a certain green-skinned creature*, he was
regretably honor-bound now to kill me.

Now, in several mods I've played, the maker handles this by letting you
"hear" that some assassin has been hired - from discussing with some
fella at a tavern, or someone coming up saying the have information in
exchange for gold. Having the assassin introduce himself politely -
that's classy (not as classic as "Hello, my name in Inigo Montoya. You
killed my father. Prepare to die")

*one of two major villians. The green fella is an avatar - you killed
one of the avatars of a demigod to beat it to an item that would have
let the demigod achieve full godhood. To prevent the demigod from
achieving godhood later, you decide to take the power for yourself
(immortality is a bonus). But as you are being prepared to accept the
power, an apparently random portal whisks you away to another planet,
and the avatars are now stalking you here.

The other major villian is the Krakona, apparently a surviving member
of the ancient race of Overlords of this planet, thought to be long
extinct. Kinda like the OC, I guess, but IMO more closely modeled on
the Githyanki/Githzerai thing I've heard a bit about.

Yeah - I thought that too - I didn't DL it because it said Hack and Slash -
heavy, RP - light. I get very, VERY bored with too much fighting.

Best wishes
Maxon

Maxon wrote:
> Yeah - I thought that too - I didn't DL it because it said Hack and Slash -
> heavy, RP - light. I get very, VERY bored with too much fighting.

If I ever finish the mod I'm working on, it will only have a couple of
chances to fight, and they'll be optional anyway. Hopefully I can finish
it in another week or two!

OK - that sounds interesting. And thanks for taking the trouble to respond
in such detail. I'll DL it and give it a try. I don't have a complete
aversion to fighting; it's just that I get really PO if I have to do a fight
more than, say, 3-4 times in order to work out a strategy to win it. I'm
just more interested in story-telling than virtual fighting. I suppose I
also like it when mod-makers design different solutions to problems than
just killing the other guy. I like your comment about misspellings and
grammar - nothing disrupts the flow of the story for me more than the
mis-use of words or some ghastly colloquialism. Or perhaps I'm a terrible
literary snob - a good education can be a burden you know.

Best wishes
Maxon

> [...]
> that's classy (not as classic as "Hello, my name in Inigo Montoya. You
> killed my father. Prepare to die")
>
> *one of two major villians. The green fella is an avatar - you killed
> one of the avatars of a demigod to beat it to an item that would have
> let the demigod achieve full godhood. To prevent the demigod from
> achieving godhood later, you decide to take the power for yourself
> (immortality is a bonus). But as you are being prepared to accept the
> power, an apparently random portal whisks you away to another planet,
> and the avatars are now stalking you here.
>
> The other major villian is the Krakona, apparently a surviving member
> of the ancient race of Overlords of this planet, thought to be long
> extinct. Kinda like the OC, I guess, but IMO more closely modeled on
> the Githyanki/Githzerai thing I've heard a bit about.

I would be interested in this John so let us know when you do get it done.

Best wishes
Maxon

Maxon wrote:
> I would be interested in this John so let us know when you do get it done.

I definitely will. I haven't worked on it for several months, but as of
yesterday I got really interested in it again for some reason. I'd hate
for all that work to go to waste, so I'm going to finish it soon and
submit it.

God bless you, Maxon.
There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
modern apathy.

DS

Maxon has brought this to us :

--
As we passed on
It seemed as if those scenes

--- Meriwether Lewis.

Dawnseeker wrote:
> God bless you, Maxon.
> There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
> the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
> modern apathy.
>
> DS
>

> Maxon has brought this to us :
> I like your comment about misspellings and
>
>> grammar - nothing disrupts the flow of the story for me more than the
>> mis-use of words or some ghastly colloquialism. Or perhaps I'm a
>> terrible
>> literary snob - a good education can be a burden you know.
>>
>> Best wishes
>> Maxon

Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
harder to get it right.

Kharsis

I admit I sometimes have an almost overwhelming urge to write to certain
module makers and suggest I correct *all* their written dialogues for them:
starting with their, there and they're; and then there's site and sight; and
then subject, verb and object; case; tense; punctuation - oh lord, don't get
me started. Sigh.

Best wishes
Maxon

"Kharsis" <kharsis@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Dawnseeker wrote:
> > God bless you, Maxon.
> > There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
> > the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
> > modern apathy.
> >
> > DS
> >

> > Maxon has brought this to us :
> > I like your comment about misspellings and
> >
> >> grammar - nothing disrupts the flow of the story for me more than the
> >> mis-use of words or some ghastly colloquialism. Or perhaps I'm a
> >> terrible
> >> literary snob - a good education can be a burden you know.
> >>
> >> Best wishes
> >> Maxon
> >

> Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
> module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
> harder to get it right.
>
> Kharsis

Kharsis <kharsis@ihug.co.nz> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Dawnseeker wrote:
>> God bless you, Maxon.
>> There's certainly *nothing* wrong with a little constructive snobbery,
>> the English language should be preserved, not martyred upon the pyre of
>> modern apathy.
>>
>> DS
>>

>> Maxon has brought this to us :
>> I like your comment about misspellings and
>>
>>> grammar - nothing disrupts the flow of the story for me more than the
>>> mis-use of words or some ghastly colloquialism. Or perhaps I'm a
>>> terrible
>>> literary snob - a good education can be a burden you know.
>>>
>>> Best wishes
>>> Maxon
>>

>Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
>module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
>harder to get it right.

Module writers like usenet posters in general have shown this is exactly
right.

My experience is the Europeans, learning English as their
second/third/fourth/fifth language actually care about getting it right.
Most are happy to get a reply that gently corrects a mistake.

It's the Americans (for the most part) who only have one language and
can't be bothered getting that even remotely right.

It's gotten so bad that when I come across someone who actually spells
'are', 'you', 'anyone' instead of those 'r' 'u' 'ne1' abominations
and/or knows the difference between to/too/two and their/there/they're I
assume they're European not American.

How on earth did the education system sink so low?

Xocyll

Maxon wrote:
> I admit I sometimes have an almost overwhelming urge to write to certain
> module makers and suggest I correct *all* their written dialogues for them:
> starting with their, there and they're; and then there's site and sight; and
> then subject, verb and object; case; tense; punctuation - oh lord, don't get
> me started. Sigh.

LOL, I actually *have* written to a couple of builders, asking if they
needed helped writing dialogue or anything like that. Very subtle, I hope!

But I'm the same way...writing is very important to me, so I make it's
always correct. And aside from that, it really does detract from the
experience if words are misspelled or used incorrectly.

>>Funnily enough some of the best grammer and spelling comes from the
>>module writers whose first language is not English. Maybe they just try
>>harder to get it right.
>
> Module writers like usenet posters in general have shown this is exactly
> right.
>
> My experience is the Europeans, learning English as their
> second/third/fourth/fifth language actually care about getting it right.
> Most are happy to get a reply that gently corrects a mistake.
>
> It's the Americans (for the most part) who only have one language and
> can't be bothered getting that even remotely right.
>
> It's gotten so bad that when I come across someone who actually spells
> 'are', 'you', 'anyone' instead of those 'r' 'u' 'ne1' abominations
> and/or knows the difference between to/too/two and their/there/they're I
> assume they're European not American.
>
> How on earth did the education system sink so low?
>
> Xocyll

Sadly, it's not just the Americans - the UK are headed the same way and
(possibly) in a head to head race. The only way many of us get to learn
what a gerundive or ablative are is if we learn as we learn a foreign
language.
As a game player considering partying up, I look for potential team members
who use English that I can understand. Not surprisingly, I've come to know
a number of mainland Europeans and Scandinavians over the years !!

Colin E

"Manky Badger" <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote in message

> <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Careena - Krakona Rising.
>>
>> Downloaded a couple of weeks ago (when SurfPatrol was down).
>> Started playing a couple of nights ago.
>>
>> Wow.
>>
>> This is one of the best mods I've played so far, more impressive
>> because you start at level 20, and I did not see where there were any
>> balance issues (leveller included at the quirkky "ship of fools"
>> intro).
>>
>> When I was playing last night, after the kiddies were in bed, I
>> realized that I had stopped thinking about how much gold I had or where
>> I could buy "mo' better stuff" - I was more interested in the story.
>>
>> The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
>> monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."
>

> Ok - downloaded & installed it. Give me a week or so & I'll let you know.
> In the meantime why not try the Aeilund "Trilogy" - does anyone know if
> the fourth part ever got made ?

Just given up - it's NOTHING but one big fight from start to where I've got
bored with it :eek:(

Sorry !

How can one person say this:

>>>I was more interested in the story.
>>>The authors were able to get me out of thinking, "I need to kill more
>>>monstes, get their stuff, sell their stuff, buy better stuff."

and another say this:

> it's NOTHING but one big fight from start to where I've got
> bored with it :eek:(

:)

John Salerno wrote:
> How can one person say this:
>
> and another say this:
> > it's NOTHING but one big fight from start to where I've got
> > bored with it :eek:(
> :)

Usenet truism: YMMV :)

< spoilers again, below, not much spoiler space -- be warned!>

No worries, Manky - just curious, did you get as far as the part where
you are taken by the portal? You are correct; there's a lot of
fighting from the beginning (you have to board the ship that is
attacking yours, follow the avatar to the hidden temple, beat the
guardian dragon (toughest fight so far, IMO) to get to where the story
gets interesting (IMO)

There IS a lot of fighting. The right amount (IMO of course) may be too
much for some and not enough for others.

Often/usually, in this mod, killing your enemies is required to get the
job done. I didn't put any skill points in pick pockets so I don't
know if stealth is a viable alternative for those parts, and I don't
think there were more than one or two situations when you would be able
to persuade/bluff in different situtations so far.

I recall there were a couple of times when I could have selected an
"evil path" in the dialogue (suggesting alliances with an evil one,
betraying allies etc), but I've followed a good path so I'm not sure
how far down an evil path it would take me. I may replay as evil
sometime and see how it goes (definite replay value, at least for me)

I think a part of my reaction is that I just finished (sort of) a
module that there was so little reward, action (despite a fair number
of combats and enemy respawns), or direction that it felt empty and
unreal. I always felt poor and desperate for more/better stuff. Heck,
despite being around 10th level towards the end, I always felt more
like a first level character (not enough potions, needing better
weapons and armor, etc)

In Careena: Krakona Rising, my character is thinking: OK, about to
achieve godhood and immortality here, when Wham! Strange portal whisks
my character away to another planet.
I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed :)

So I know I need to get back to the hidden temple to stop the evil
avatar from taking the godhood powers (the evil demigod sends an
occasional avatar to plague me) and I know the Krakona (ancient
overlord race) is a Bad Thing I should probably stop. This mod and
storyline has an appropriately epic feel to it and I don't feel like
I'm just in it for getting more gold or better gear (despite once or
twice when my gear was stripped).

Hmmm... that reminds me of something. Let me compare three mods and
how they handled item stripping and subsequent getting more gear:
Careena, Sands of Fate: Shadows over Heliopolis (SoF), and Beggar's
Rattle II: Oto the Newtslayer (BRII). Now, I enjoyed all 3 and in the
order listed (so far - not finished with Careena yet), but how they
handled item stripping sort of shows different approaches. (most mods
that do this just strip you on starting)

<Major Spoilers below>

In SoF, the story takes place after HotU. You are a hero, conqueror,
and you've defeated Mephistopheles. You're bored. So one night, you
dream of a request for help on a distant plane. If you accept, your
gear is stripped because you are doing some kind of spirit/plane/dream
travel, and your gear can't accompany you. Nice explanation of why
your gear is stripped. You can choose to go and get stripped, or not go
(ending the mod, IIRC). I don't remember if you get to keep any gear
at all, but you do keep a chunk of your gold (flat amount set by the
mod), so you can resupply when you get to town (which is where you
start).

In BRII, you start with your ship being attacked (by unseen ship) by an
enemy you made in the previous mod, BRI. You are told by the captain
that the ship's only hope of escaping is if they let you off on a skiff
near an island, as the enemy will follow you instead of the ship. Your
only way off the island is a sphinx, who says he can't carry any of
your gear - not a robe, ring or anything, so your gear is stripped (but
you keep _all_ your gold). You have no real options at all during this
process. You stop over at another island, where you can find a suit of
"charred armor", a dozen scimitars, and now suddenly the sphinx is
willing/able to carry you _and your low end replacement gear_ the rest
of the way.

In Careena, you start with just what you are wearing (equipped gear)
and your gold, but before you get into combat, you speak with your
grandfather who has arranged for you to have access to "ancestral" gear
- powerful custom items the family has accrued. You have several
combats (boarding the enemy ship, defeating the guardian dragon, the
demigod's combat avatar) but end up on the other planet. After
starting out, you encounter another of the demigod's avatars, but not a
combat avatar. It declines combat knowng you can beat it, but afer a
discussion, casts a spell to strip you of your items and gold, and says
something like, "Let's see how long you can survive, naked and
penniless on this planet" before vanishing. Soon after, you encounter a
helpful spirit (or traveler, don't recall offhand) near a monastery who
teleports you to a cave which was the site of an ancient, epic battle
(remains of the dragons and warrior still evident) where you can
scrounge some suitably epic equipment - though still penniless for the
time being, you don't have to suffer with plain chainmail and longsword
at 20th level :)

I have to say, personally I like Careena's method best, SoF as a close
second, and BRII as a distant 3rd, with other mods (strip on enter) a
very distant 4th (explain why I am x level, but have no gear?). I know
it's done for module balance reasons (I have a character with an AC at
100+ because of some really bizarre uber gear module), but I like to
have at least an explanation.

Manky Badger wrote:
> I got off the ship, released a demon-henchman, went into a maze,

Hmmm... don't recall the demon-henchman. I've got a coupla things that
I can use to summon aid which I haven't used yet, and I suspect one of
them might be the demon hench.

> found a gold rod & met an indestructable wizard.

I don't recall an indestructable wizard. After the gold rod, you go
through a portal and fight the combat avatar - maybe this was the
indestructable wizard? It's one of those things that you converse
first, then fight.

> It was nothing but fight :eek:(
> Fight is OK in moderation, but I prefer quests which involve
searching &
> puzzling things out.
> Each to their own, I expect.

Yep, sorry you didn't like it so far (you were still early on in the
module from the sound of it). There is a lot of searching later on
(you need to collect crystal pieces to make a magic dingus, then find
the Seer who can put it together for you so that it can take you home)
but there's a lot of fighting, moreso than puzzling things out.

It seems to be a fairly large and complex module. This mod is pretty
fast paced though, and you don't spend a lot of time running back and
forth between point A and point B, just to run back to point A to sell
stuff.

Manky Badger wrote:
> "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> > Lack of respect for teachers in general
>
> In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.
> To quot a single example of the myriad problems I've had with the
school, I
> had one teacher bleating about my son's bad behaviour, but would in
no way
> punish the boy. When I suggested grounding the boy for a day or so
this same
> teacher threatened to report me to social services for abuse and
cruelty.

<nods> My son's current teacher rewards misbehaviour. If the 'bad'
kids go x days without misbehaving, they get some reward. "Good" kids
get nothing.

Ooops, let me take that back. "Good" kids get swindled.
They get stickers based on doing well on selected homework and the
teacher promised a special reward for any kid that got 100 stickers. My
son soon figured out that this was impossible, given that the teacher
gives out less than two stickers per week and about 40 weeks of school.
I plan on bringing this up to the principal after this year, when he's
safe from retribution.

Xocyll wrote:

> How on earth did the education system sink so low?

Lack of respect for teachers in general, pay that is more fitting for a
fast-food cook, and a general refusal to fund public education (or, in
the case of some recent events, like No Child Left Behind, an
insistence on using it as a front for military recruitment activity).

> John Salerno wrote:
>> How can one person say this:
> more
>>
>> and another say this:
>> > it's NOTHING but one big fight from start to where I've got
>> > bored with it :eek:(
>> :)
>
> Usenet truism: YMMV :)
>
> < spoilers again, below, not much spoiler space -- be warned!>
>

> No worries, Manky - just curious, did you get as far as the part where
> you are taken by the portal? You are correct; there's a lot of
> fighting from the beginning (you have to board the ship that is
> attacking yours, follow the avatar to the hidden temple, beat the
> guardian dragon (toughest fight so far, IMO) to get to where the story
> gets interesting (IMO)
>
> There IS a lot of fighting. The right amount (IMO of course) may be too
> much for some and not enough for others.

I got off the ship, released a demon-henchman, went into a maze, found a

> "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> > Xocyll wrote:
> >

> >> How on earth did the education system sink so low?
> >>

> > Lack of respect for teachers in general
>
> In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.

You could say that's why schools and parents get the teachers they deserve -
what self-respecting professional would want to work in an environment with
attitudes like that?

Best wishes
Maxon

> Manky Badger wrote:
>> "Arturus Magi" <sailorleo@hotpop.com> wrote in message
>> > Lack of respect for teachers in general
>>
>> In the UK they get all the contempt they deserve.
>> To quot a single example of the myriad problems I've had with the
> school, I
>> had one teacher bleating about my son's bad behaviour, but would in
> no way
>> punish the boy. When I suggested grounding the boy for a day or so
> this same
>> teacher threatened to report me to social services for abuse and
> cruelty.
>
> <nods> My son's current teacher rewards misbehaviour. If the 'bad'
> kids go x days without misbehaving, they get some reward. "Good" kids
> get nothing.
>
> Ooops, let me take that back. "Good" kids get swindled.
> They get stickers based on doing well on selected homework and the
> teacher promised a special reward for any kid that got 100 stickers. My
> son soon figured out that this was impossible, given that the teacher
> gives out less than two stickers per week and about 40 weeks of school.
> I plan on bringing this up to the principal after this year, when he's
> safe from retribution.

My daughter was very fed up with school and didn't want to be there.
She soon learned that if she wanted a day off all she had to do was muck
about.
Bad behaviour is rewarded with a day off school.