Was curious....

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
In msconfig what can I uncheck because when I go into the task manager it says 40 processes. I unchecked yahoo, volume, and one other thing to knock down the processes to 36....can I lower that or its best to not touch anything. I want to make sure my system is running at its spead and not have anything slow it down. Im tired of clicking on processes to close them when Im at my desktop.

( I know not to touch system.exe and explorer.exe)

Thanx.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
In msconfig what can I uncheck because when I go into the task manager it says 40 processes. I unchecked yahoo, volume, and one other thing to knock down the processes to 36....can I lower that or its best to not touch anything. I want to make sure my system is running at its spead and not have anything slow it down. Im tired of clicking on processes to close them when Im at my desktop.

Thanx.
If you're in the Startup tab, you can uncheck everything safely. One problem may be if you're running an aftermarket spyware, firewall, virus scan, they won't be running when you start your comp, and therefore not be "on" when you click the blue "e". CTFmon is associated with MS word and it's something to do with the language bar....no matter how many times you uncheck it, it reappears.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
type services.msc at run dialog,sort it by status until
You might want to disable and stop certain services,I for myself disabled

ssdp discovery service
error reporting (pirated win xp heheheh)
remote registry
security center (i alway update everything manually,no need to tell me)

If you have iTunes,Real or even winamp,they might install start up service (only winamp is installed,use K-Lite Mega Codec Pack).I usually use Autoruns (download from Microsoft technet or sth,prev. bought Sysinternals). See logon and also Services tab.You will have better view of everything, but beware,onl disable services you really don't use, otherwise your pc will have troubles

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Thanx.
You can drop that way down. Mine(XP-Pro) idles with 17 services running. :)

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thanx all :)

Ok. I unchecked everything in startup and my system is down to 26 processes (down from 36). Can I uncheck anything in services? I see some say "essentials" which I know not to touch but anything else I can uncheck. There are over 60 things that are checked including the ones marked essential.

Syntonic

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
This belongs more in software or something I imagine but for a guide to WinXP services - check out Blackviper's which is mirrored at Majorgeeks.

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

This is also a decent one for second hand information but mainly go with the one above first.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

I have about 27 process running including firefox, trillian, mirc, nod32, outpost, logitech mouseware, other security stuff, ftp, notepad, background diskeeper, etc. so there is a lot of room for trimming down when I'm not even running mine lean.

Edit: Google around for the other stuff that isn't listed above to see what it belongs to and if it's necessary for you or not.