RulesofChaos07

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
I'm looking into a serious upgrade, almost worthy of being called a new build, but I love my X2 5000+! All I want to know is if you can take a processor off a motherboard and put it onto another without consequences. (Stupid me bought a Dell right before I decided to learn about computer hardware...)

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I'm looking into a serious upgrade, almost worthy of being called a new build, but I love my X2 5000+! All I want to know is if you can take a processor off a motherboard and put it onto another without consequences. (Stupid me bought a Dell right before I decided to learn about computer hardware...)
take off the heat sink, leave the lever down, and try to remove the heatsink that sits on the cpu, the piece of metal that covers it. I recommend a pair of pliers.

RulesofChaos07

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Thanks a lot. Then I should be able to pop it open and put my CPU in another motherboard and glue heatsink back on? (possibly new cooling supply. thoughts on the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED?)

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Yes you can switch it from one MB to another.

But you do need to be careful:
1. When removing the heatsink and cleaning off the grease
2. Removing and reinstalling the CPU so you don't bend any of the connectors or otherwise damage it, including by static electricity
3. Reattaching heatsink so you get a good fit and seal.

Many motherboard manuals have brief instructions so you might want to review those to see what is involved. I beleive AMD also has instructions on their site that might be helpful.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

For all the trouble it would be to replae the case, PSU, and removing the CPU, you can just build up the Dell. I mean you got probably an Asus mobo. I'd replace the HDD and maybe PSU before moving to a new case, etc.

RulesofChaos07

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
actually my case is my worst problem. It's the C521 slim case, which means it has to have low profile cards, which basically means nothing better than an NVidia 7600 GS, and I'm lookin into more than that, but thanks!

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I was only joking, don't ever use pliers to attempt to remove the metal that sits on the cpu! You should be able to re-use the cpu, but the motherboard may be a different story, because these companies have so much control over the motherboards.

RulesofChaos07

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
well if I get a new processor I'll probably end up just trashing the Dell MOBO anyways... all I care about is getting my good CPU onto a better MOBO with many more options for upgrading, PCI, OC, blah blah blah so on so forth.

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I wouldn't get a new processor. As the 5000+ is already a VERY good processor, this would be a waste of money. Unless your budget is vast, there is no point in replacing your CPU.

Since your case is the problem, I would first try buying a new case. Once you get the new case, you can check whether the motherboard you have will effectively fit into the new case. If it will, then you just have to rebuild the computer in the new case. If the motherboard will not fit, you will have to purchase a new motherboard, but no big deal. You will be able to reuse your ram, hard drives, dvd drives, etc.

If you must remove your heatsink from your processor, make sure to ask how to put it back on before you try!

Best of Luck

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004

Before I try to remove a heatsink in a computer, I remove the side door and unplug the heatsink fan. I start the computer and go into BIOS, preferably the part that monitors the CPU temp. I wait for it to get a little warm, just below 60C before i shut it down again. Now the paste is loose and pliable enough to allow giving the heatsink a slight twist to disengage it. I've then cleaned both surfaces carefully with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol. Have a good product like Arctic Silver 5 or Ceramique handy before you attempt this. It''s thermal transfer properties are much better that what you've got now.

I've had TOO MANY TIMES where I've tried to remove a heatsink on an AMD, only to have the CPU come out of the ZIF socket and still be stuck on the heatsink. My preheat method makes this much, much less painless, as well as lessens the chance of bending pins trying to release the heatsink.

After you retrieve your 5000+, why not get a low end AM2 to put back in it's place? You could then retrieve some of your investment, rather than having a bunch of spare parts.

RulesofChaos07

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
RJ, thanks. I'd be rather lost without your help right there. I think I'm also going to get a Zalman CNPS9500 LED for the new rig (comments or suggestions on that?) that way once I know more about BIOS and OC'ing I'll be able to do it efficiently. (also after a replacement of RAM)

sirrobin4ever

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I agree with RJ. Although I can't credit myself with the idea, I think that it is a very good idea to replace the CPU in your Dell with a low end model, then sell the Dell. With the money you get back, you should be able to buy some new parts, with a little extra $$, of course.