NTFS Files Permissions Issues??

Hi All,

I was hoping someone might be able to help me out here ..
I'm trying to setup NTFS perms on a folder so that:

Existing Files in the root of the Folder cannot be modified or deleted, but NEW files can be created/modified/deleted.

I know this sounds pretty basic .. but its got me stumped! I've tried setting up the permissions to do this in all different variations and I cannot get the configuration right!

Even if I put an explicit DENY Full Control on the files, I can still delete them if the Root folder gives me delete ability.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer,

Cheers'
JediK9
2 answers Last reply
More about ntfs files permissions issues

    "Jedi_K9master" wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was hoping someone might be able to help me out here ..
    > I'm trying to setup NTFS perms on a folder so that:
    >
    > Existing Files in the root of the Folder cannot be modified or deleted, but NEW files can be created/modified/deleted.
    >
    > I know this sounds pretty basic .. but its got me stumped! I've tried setting up the permissions to do this in all different variations and I cannot get the configuration right!
    >
    > Even if I put an explicit DENY Full Control on the files, I can still delete them if the Root folder gives me delete ability.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help you can offer,
    >
    > Cheers'
    > JediK9

    First make sure that the everyone/users group has no more than read/list/execute
    permissions to the drive/root folder including in special permissions.

    Keep in mind that and explicit allow will override an inherited deny.

    Give the appropriate group read/list/execute/write permissions to the folder in
    question.

    Remove or modify permissions to creator owner. Creator owner assigns permissions to
    the owner of a file which may be more than you want or expect but can be helpful in
    allowing a user to modify or delete files they have created.

    You may need to assign explicit permissions to the existing files.

    Consider giving group read/list/execute and create folders for the root folder using
    special permissions and then letting users have modify permissions to new folders.

    Write permission will not allow a user to deleted a file, but may allow that user to
    modify a file. Some software considers a file modify as a create/delete operation.

    Permissions for Word/Office files are bit more tricky because they use temp
    les. --- Steve

    "Jedi_K9master" <Jedi_K9master@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was hoping someone might be able to help me out here ..
    > I'm trying to setup NTFS perms on a folder so that:
    >
    > Existing Files in the root of the Folder cannot be modified or deleted, but NEW
    files can be created/modified/deleted.

    > I know this sounds pretty basic .. but its got me stumped! I've tried setting up
    the permissions to do this in all different variations and I cannot get the
    configuration right!

    > Even if I put an explicit DENY Full Control on the files, I can still delete them
    if the Root folder gives me delete ability.

    > I'd appreciate any help you can offer,
    >
    > Cheers'
    > JediK9

NTFS Permissions Windows