OTA HDTV Reception

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 6, 2004 5:15:02 PM

Hello:

I am having a weird problem with reception. Most of the time the signal bar
reads full scale and the video and audio are fine. Randomly the siganl bar
will show a drop off in the signal and the audio and video breakup. Below
are some of the things I tried to resolve the problem.

- tried antenna in several locations
- tried separating tuner from TV
- tightened coax connectors

Has anyone else had a similiar problem? I would apreciate any advice.
There is a 30 ft. oak tree in the front yard about 40 ft from the antenna.
Could this be the problem?

thanks,

Barry

More about : ota hdtv reception

Anonymous
July 6, 2004 6:46:02 PM

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:15:02 -0400, "Barry Test" <abc@abc.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I am having a weird problem with reception. Most of the time the signal bar
>reads full scale and the video and audio are fine. Randomly the siganl bar
>will show a drop off in the signal and the audio and video breakup. Below
>are some of the things I tried to resolve the problem.
>
>- tried antenna in several locations
>- tried separating tuner from TV
>- tightened coax connectors
>
>Has anyone else had a similiar problem? I would apreciate any advice.
>There is a 30 ft. oak tree in the front yard about 40 ft from the antenna.
>Could this be the problem?

I doubt it..
Temporarily move the antenna in front of Oak tree and find out!!

You need to supply more details..

1st.. What is your 5 digit zip code?
2nd.. Is the problem occurring on all (H)DTV channels?
3rd.. How long does the interruption occur? Seconds.. 1..2. or more?
4th.. How frequently?
5th.. Does it happen all the time? or just on some days?

You need to be more observant.
What haven't you told us??

Is this problem tied to running or starting/stopping of a
particular appliance? A/C perhaps? or a Paper shredder?
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 6:48:31 PM

Is anyone else having problems with this station?

--
"Barry Test" <abc@abc.com> wrote in message
news:p 4BGc.10874$1F6.10669@fe37.usenetserver.com...
> Hello:
>
> I am having a weird problem with reception.
July 6, 2004 11:29:02 PM

Tim Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:15:02 -0400, "Barry Test" <abc@abc.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello:
>>
>>I am having a weird problem with reception. Most of the time the signal bar
>>reads full scale and the video and audio are fine. Randomly the siganl bar
>>will show a drop off in the signal and the audio and video breakup. Below
>>are some of the things I tried to resolve the problem.
>>
>>- tried antenna in several locations
>>- tried separating tuner from TV
>>- tightened coax connectors
>>
>>Has anyone else had a similiar problem? I would apreciate any advice.
>>There is a 30 ft. oak tree in the front yard about 40 ft from the antenna.
>>Could this be the problem?
>

> I doubt it..
> Temporarily move the antenna in front of Oak tree and find out!!
>
> You need to supply more details..
>
> 1st.. What is your 5 digit zip code?
> 2nd.. Is the problem occurring on all (H)DTV channels?
> 3rd.. How long does the interruption occur? Seconds.. 1..2. or more?
> 4th.. How frequently?
> 5th.. Does it happen all the time? or just on some days?
>
> You need to be more observant.
> What haven't you told us??
>
> Is this problem tied to running or starting/stopping of a
> particular appliance? A/C perhaps? or a Paper shredder?

Oh My God! You are suggesting that 8-VSB has a problem with impulse
noise, heretical, unAmerican pinko thought. Erase it from your mind
before it breeds. You could be on a slippery slope to considering,
horrors, another modulation.

Could ask if the wind is blowing during these drop outs or if there is
an airport nearby and if this is an indoor antenna?
Anonymous
July 7, 2004 2:52:09 PM

Here are the answers to the questions.

1st.. What is your 5 digit zip code?
45230
2nd.. Is the problem occurring on all (H)DTV channels?
some more tahn others, oddly the most reliable channel is 34 miles away!
3rd.. How long does the interruption occur? Seconds.. 1..2. or more?
mostly 1-2 seconds somtimes up to 1 minute
4th.. How frequently?
varies from 1 minute to 10 minutes
5th.. Does it happen all the time? or just on some days?
the reception seems to be better at night than daytime, but occurs 7
days/week

You need to be more observant.
What haven't you told us??
Since sending this message I temporarily moved the tuner an tv to the other
end of the house and still have the the same problem. In this location the
oak tree is mostly bypassed. Also the tv power cord has a three prong plug
so I grounded it to the receptacle. This seems to have made an improvement.

Is this problem tied to running or starting/stopping of a
particular appliance? A/C perhaps? or a Paper shredder

You gave me an idea here, I will try turnig various items off one at a time
to see there is a change. Some items are:
- cordless phone
- wireless LAN

I have tried to correlate those things but it appears not to affect it.
Thanks for the idea though, I have a surge supressor and will try plugging
the tv and tuner into the supressor and see if there is a change.

<snip>
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:14:17 AM

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 10:52:09 -0400, "Barry Test" <abc@abc.com> wrote:

>Here are the answers to the questions.
>
>1st.. What is your 5 digit zip code?
>45230
>2nd.. Is the problem occurring on all (H)DTV channels?
>some more tahn others, oddly the most reliable channel is 34 miles away!

Hmm.. Most of the stations are in the 7 to 10 mile range...

You could be suffering from front end signal overload from the
old NTSC VHF broadcasts. A TV/CATV Attenuator #15-678 may help.

What type of antenna are you using?
Using a indoor antenna inside modern construction (~faraday
cage) is likely to yield inconsistant results.

>3rd.. How long does the interruption occur? Seconds.. 1..2. or more?
>mostly 1-2 seconds somtimes up to 1 minute
>4th.. How frequently?
>varies from 1 minute to 10 minutes
>5th.. Does it happen all the time? or just on some days?
>the reception seems to be better at night than daytime, but occurs 7
>days/week
>
>You need to be more observant.
> What haven't you told us??
>Since sending this message I temporarily moved the tuner an tv to the other
>end of the house and still have the the same problem. In this location the
>oak tree is mostly bypassed. Also the tv power cord has a three prong plug
>so I grounded it to the receptacle. This seems to have made an improvement.
>
> Is this problem tied to running or starting/stopping of a
>particular appliance? A/C perhaps? or a Paper shredder
>
>You gave me an idea here, I will try turnig various items off one at a time
>to see there is a change. Some items are:
>- cordless phone
>- wireless LAN
>
>I have tried to correlate those things but it appears not to affect it.
>Thanks for the idea though, I have a surge supressor and will try plugging
>the tv and tuner into the supressor and see if there is a change.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 6:36:45 AM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:29:02 GMT, Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Tim Keating wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:15:02 -0400, "Barry Test" <abc@abc.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello:
>>>
>>>I am having a weird problem with reception. Most of the time the signal bar
>>>reads full scale and the video and audio are fine. Randomly the siganl bar
>>>will show a drop off in the signal and the audio and video breakup. Below
>>>are some of the things I tried to resolve the problem.
>>>
>>>- tried antenna in several locations
>>>- tried separating tuner from TV
>>>- tightened coax connectors
>>>
>>>Has anyone else had a similiar problem? I would apreciate any advice.
>>>There is a 30 ft. oak tree in the front yard about 40 ft from the antenna.
>>>Could this be the problem?
>>

>> I doubt it..
>> Temporarily move the antenna in front of Oak tree and find out!!
>>
>> You need to supply more details..
>>
>> 1st.. What is your 5 digit zip code?
>> 2nd.. Is the problem occurring on all (H)DTV channels?
>> 3rd.. How long does the interruption occur? Seconds.. 1..2. or more?
>> 4th.. How frequently?
>> 5th.. Does it happen all the time? or just on some days?
>>
>> You need to be more observant.
>> What haven't you told us??
>>
>> Is this problem tied to running or starting/stopping of a
>> particular appliance? A/C perhaps? or a Paper shredder?
>
>Oh My God! You are suggesting that 8-VSB has a problem with impulse
>noise, heretical, unAmerican pinko thought. Erase it from your mind
>before it breeds. You could be on a slippery slope to considering,
>horrors, another modulation.

Hey booby.. 8 VSB isn't totally immune..
It can be swamped by LOCAL RF moise emitters just like any other
transmission format. Certain devices using large DC motors can
generate a considerable amount of RF noise.

8VSB has a RF threshold is at least 8 db greater and is capable of
ignoring impulse noise over 100X more in % duty cycle when compared
to COFDM.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 7:17:57 AM

wrote:

>Tim Keating wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 13:15:02 -0400, "Barry Test" <abc@abc.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello:
>>>
>>>I am having a weird problem with reception. Most of the time the signal bar
>>>reads full scale and the video and audio are fine. Randomly the siganl bar
>>>will show a drop off in the signal and the audio and video breakup. Below
>>>are some of the things I tried to resolve the problem.
>>>
>>>- tried antenna in several locations
>>>- tried separating tuner from TV
>>>- tightened coax connectors
>>>
>>>Has anyone else had a similiar problem? I would apreciate any advice.
>>>There is a 30 ft. oak tree in the front yard about 40 ft from the antenna.
>>>Could this be the problem?
>>

>> I doubt it..
>> Temporarily move the antenna in front of Oak tree and find out!!
>>
>> You need to supply more details..
>>
>> 1st.. What is your 5 digit zip code?
>> 2nd.. Is the problem occurring on all (H)DTV channels?
>> 3rd.. How long does the interruption occur? Seconds.. 1..2. or more?
>> 4th.. How frequently?
>> 5th.. Does it happen all the time? or just on some days?
>>
>> You need to be more observant.
>> What haven't you told us??
>>
>> Is this problem tied to running or starting/stopping of a
>> particular appliance? A/C perhaps? or a Paper shredder?
>
>Oh My God! You are suggesting that 8-VSB has a problem with impulse
>noise, heretical, unAmerican pinko thought. Erase it from your mind
>before it breeds. You could be on a slippery slope to considering,
>horrors, another modulation.

Hey booby.. 8 VSB isn't totally immune..
It can be swamped by LOCAL RF noise emitters just like any other
transmission format. Certain devices using large DC motors can
generate a considerable amount of RF noise.

8VSB has a better RF S/N threshold to the tune of 8 dB, and is
capable of ignoring repetitive impulse noise sources way better (100X
% duty cycle) than COFDM.
Anonymous
July 8, 2004 1:48:25 PM

"Tim Keating" <NotForJunkEmail@directinternet11.com1> wrote in message
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 19:29:02 GMT, Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Tim Keating wrote:

Below

I find that with DTV it is harder to pinpoint the problem because it's
either working or not. You don't get to see ghosts (multipath), or
overdrive or weak signal.

I have two digital channels that I should receive in my area. One is ch 52
UHF and it is a local channnel (20mi) that has a particualry strong signal
and ch 57 (uhf ) that has a weak signal. CH 57 comes in most of the time
but 52 doesn't at all. I have an antenna amp on my mast and the signal for
52 is too strong. It overdrives and harmonics are generated for ch 52.
Without the amp ch 57 doesn't come in at all and without the amp 52 still
doesn't come in (too strong I guess).

My non DTV stations are all noise free with very good pictures, no ghosts
and no overdrive harmonics.
Anonymous
July 17, 2004 3:53:21 PM

It probably just depends on the quality of the signal, not just the
strength. I get a distant station at 40% signal with no interference at all
while a nearby station at 60% signal has constant drop-outs and
interference.

CM

!