A couple of days ago, a new icon suddenly appeared in the notification area
of the display bar. It is only evident when I am reading newsgroup posts.

Right clicking or double clicking have no effect and I can't delete it. If
I hover the mouse pointer over the icon while in this newsgroup, for
instance, the pop-up reads "msnews.microsoft.com".

The icon looks like a letter holder with an envelope protruding from it, and
it has something like a little blue Dr Who police space box at the left
side.

Can someone please tell me how to get rid of it?

Many thanks
Joe Steele

What's so strange about the Outlook Express icon in the notification area
when you are using OE?

"J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>A couple of days ago, a new icon suddenly appeared in the notification area
>of the display bar. It is only evident when I am reading newsgroup posts.
>
> Right clicking or double clicking have no effect and I can't delete it.
> If I hover the mouse pointer over the icon while in this newsgroup, for
> instance, the pop-up reads "msnews.microsoft.com".
>
> The icon looks like a letter holder with an envelope protruding from it,
> and it has something like a little blue Dr Who police space box at the
> left side.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to get rid of it?
>
> Many thanks
> Joe Steele

Forgot to say, the icon only appears when I am online.
Joe Steele

"J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>A couple of days ago, a new icon suddenly appeared in the notification area
>of the display bar. It is only evident when I am reading newsgroup posts.
>
> Right clicking or double clicking have no effect and I can't delete it.
> If I hover the mouse pointer over the icon while in this newsgroup, for
> instance, the pop-up reads "msnews.microsoft.com".
>
> The icon looks like a letter holder with an envelope protruding from it,
> and it has something like a little blue Dr Who police space box at the
> left side.
>
> Can someone please tell me how to get rid of it?
>
> Many thanks
> Joe Steele

Just strange that it suddenly decided to appear, and strange that it doesn't
respond to any right/double mouse click - all the other icons do.

Thanks, anyway, Colin, for making obvious that other folks have it too.

Regards,
Joe Steele

> What's so strange about the Outlook Express icon in the notification area
> when you are using OE?

> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>>A couple of days ago, a new icon suddenly appeared in the notification
>>area of the display bar. It is only evident when I am reading newsgroup
>>posts.
>>
>> Right clicking or double clicking have no effect and I can't delete it.
>> If I hover the mouse pointer over the icon while in this newsgroup, for
>> instance, the pop-up reads "msnews.microsoft.com".
>>
>> The icon looks like a letter holder with an envelope protruding from it,
>> and it has something like a little blue Dr Who police space box at the
>> left side.
>>
>> Can someone please tell me how to get rid of it?
>>
>> Many thanks
>> Joe Steele

It does not appear all the time on my system. It is benign.

> Just strange that it suddenly decided to appear, and strange that it
> doesn't respond to any right/double mouse click - all the other icons
> do.
>
> Thanks, anyway, Colin, for making obvious that other folks have it too.
>
> Regards,
> Joe Steele

>> What's so strange about the Outlook Express icon in the notification area
>> when you are using OE?
>>
>> --
>> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>>>A couple of days ago, a new icon suddenly appeared in the notification
>>>area of the display bar. It is only evident when I am reading newsgroup
>>>posts.
>>>
>>> Right clicking or double clicking have no effect and I can't delete it.
>>> If I hover the mouse pointer over the icon while in this newsgroup, for
>>> instance, the pop-up reads "msnews.microsoft.com".
>>>
>>> The icon looks like a letter holder with an envelope protruding from it,
>>> and it has something like a little blue Dr Who police space box at the
>>> left side.
>>>
>>> Can someone please tell me how to get rid of it?
>>>
>>> Many thanks
>>> Joe Steele

Colin, by benign, I presume you mean harmless. But, what is the point of
it? You can't do anything with it, and it doesn't tell you anything you
don't already know. You don't get one for IE, for instance, - or is
this another 'benign' surprise that has yet to be included?

Regards,
Joe Steele

> It does not appear all the time on my system. It is benign.

> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Just strange that it suddenly decided to appear, and strange that it
>> doesn't respond to any right/double mouse click - all the other icons
>> do.
>>
>> Thanks, anyway, Colin, for making obvious that other folks have it too.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Joe Steele
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> What's so strange about the Outlook Express icon in the notification
>>> area when you are using OE?
>>>
>>> --
>>> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message

It appears to be an artifact. I know of no purpose or what process is
running that does it. OE has not been updated as much as many other parts
of the OS so who knows what is going on. All I said was that I have seen
the same thing and it does not seem to matter.

> Colin, by benign, I presume you mean harmless. But, what is the point of
> it? You can't do anything with it, and it doesn't tell you anything you
> don't already know. You don't get one for IE, for instance, - or is
> this another 'benign' surprise that has yet to be included?
>
> Regards,
> Joe Steele

>> It does not appear all the time on my system. It is benign.
>>
>> --
>> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Just strange that it suddenly decided to appear, and strange that it
>>> doesn't respond to any right/double mouse click - all the other icons
>>> do.
>>>
>>> Thanks, anyway, Colin, for making obvious that other folks have it too.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Joe Steele
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

You should run a spyware program such as adaware and spybot and check for
spyware
With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia

> It appears to be an artifact. I know of no purpose or what process is
> running that does it. OE has not been updated as much as many other parts
> of the OS so who knows what is going on. All I said was that I have seen
> the same thing and it does not seem to matter.

> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Colin, by benign, I presume you mean harmless. But, what is the point of
>> it? You can't do anything with it, and it doesn't tell you anything you
>> don't already know. You don't get one for IE, for instance, - or is
>> this another 'benign' surprise that has yet to be included?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Joe Steele
>>
>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> It does not appear all the time on my system. It is benign.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message

Thanks for the suggestion ,Will, but anti-spyware program shows system as
clean. Which is as it should if it is an MS icon.

Regards
Joe Steele

"willofaustralia_crackerz2" <spam@1xub1@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
> You should run a spyware program such as adaware and spybot and check for
> spyware
> With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia

>> It appears to be an artifact. I know of no purpose or what process is
>> running that does it. OE has not been updated as much as many other
>> parts of the OS so who knows what is going on. All I said was that I
>> have seen the same thing and it does not seem to matter.
>>
>> --
>> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Colin, by benign, I presume you mean harmless. But, what is the point
>>> of it? You can't do anything with it, and it doesn't tell you anything
>>> you don't already know. You don't get one for IE, for instance, -
>>> or is this another 'benign' surprise that has yet to be included?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Joe Steele
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

To Colin and Will,

Thought you might be interested to know that the icon is a new addition
added by Avast AV with their latest update. (Shows icon during mail
process.)

To remove, amend 'ShowTrayIcon=1' under heading [MailScanner] to
'ShowTrayIcon=0) in file Avast4.ini. If entry is not present, create one.

Regards
Joe Steele

To remove,
> Thanks for the suggestion ,Will, but anti-spyware program shows system as
> clean. Which is as it should if it is an MS icon.
>
> Regards
> Joe Steele
>
> "willofaustralia_crackerz2" <spam@1xub1@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
>> You should run a spyware program such as adaware and spybot and check for
>> spyware
>> With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia
>>

>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> It appears to be an artifact. I know of no purpose or what process is
>>> running that does it. OE has not been updated as much as many other
>>> parts of the OS so who knows what is going on. All I said was that I
>>> have seen the same thing and it does not seem to matter.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message

I don't use Avast. However, I have since noticed that the tooltip over the
icon reads "You have new mail."

> To Colin and Will,
>
> Thought you might be interested to know that the icon is a new addition
> added by Avast AV with their latest update. (Shows icon during mail
> process.)
>
> To remove, amend 'ShowTrayIcon=1' under heading [MailScanner] to
> 'ShowTrayIcon=0) in file Avast4.ini. If entry is not present, create
> one.
>
> Regards
> Joe Steele
>
> To remove,
> "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the suggestion ,Will, but anti-spyware program shows system as
>> clean. Which is as it should if it is an MS icon.
>>
>> Regards
>> Joe Steele
>>
>> "willofaustralia_crackerz2" <spam@1xub1@dodo.com.au> wrote in message
>>> You should run a spyware program such as adaware and spybot and check
>>> for spyware
>>> With Kind Regards From WillofAustralia
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote in message

You have different icon, Colin, or, at least, one from a different source.
The Avast one just tells you which server you are using, e.g.,
msnews.microsoft.com. See my original post.

Regards,
Joe Steele