PCIe 1x

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 9, 2007 2:04:40 AM

OK, this may be a stupid question, but I just haven't fourd an answer to it. I have a cheap HP computer that has a PCIe x1 open slot. I am wanting to upgrade the video card to drive an HDTV. I have looked at some of the PCI express cards and a lot of them mention PCIe x16.

Can I use any PCI express video card in my computer or am I limited to a x1 only card?

More about : pcie

February 9, 2007 3:17:02 AM

Those are two completely different slots, and most video cards except this one, fit in the pci-x16 slot. What is the current video setup? Onboard? AGP? HP can be very proprietary, and you might want to check to make sure you can actually add a card in. At $100 for the card listed, above, you might give us your system specs. There's probably some more effective and cheaper upgrades that would increase your performance instead of adding a pci-e card.
February 9, 2007 5:59:52 PM

Quote:
Those are two completely different slots, and most video cards except this one, fit in the pci-x16 slot. What is the current video setup? Onboard? AGP? HP can be very proprietary, and you might want to check to make sure you can actually add a card in. At $100 for the card listed, above, you might give us your system specs. There's probably some more effective and cheaper upgrades that would increase your performance instead of adding a pci-e card.

yeah we need more information on your system. You have an AGP like murfman said and it might not even have a pcie in it other than the 1x. Which up until a few months ago nothing was even sold for that slot that I could find. Now they have a tv card for it. :) 
Related resources
February 9, 2007 6:12:50 PM

I have an HP Pavilion with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200+ 2.2 GHz processor. The MB is a proprietary ASUS A8AE-LE with 3 pci and 1 pcie x1 slot. It has integrated audio and video. The video is Integrated ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Graphics with 256MB shared video memory. It does not have any video outputs.

From the factory, there are no pci slots available and I would like to be able to use the newer pcie technology for the video card. I don't want to put a lot of money into having to upgrade the MB if I don't have to. There is a modem using up one of the pci cards that could be pulled out, but I've heard that putting a pci video card into this may not help much.

I guess I've learned not to buy a cookie cutter PC.
February 9, 2007 6:17:40 PM

Quote:
I have an HP Pavilion with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual core 4200+ 2.2 GHz processor. The MB is a proprietary ASUS A8AE-LE with 3 pci and 1 pcie x1 slot. It has integrated audio and video. The video is Integrated ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Graphics with 256MB shared video memory. It does not have any video outputs.

From the factory, there are no pci slots available and I would like to be able to use the newer pcie technology for the video card. I don't want to put a lot of money into having to upgrade the MB if I don't have to. There is a modem using up one of the pci cards that could be pulled out, but I've heard that putting a pci video card into this may not help much.

I dont know much about the HDTV video card feature right now but it appears to me that all you have, as far as video upgrades, is the PCI slot only. Alot of people like HP, Dell, Gateway and all those at least put an AGP slot on there for upgrades. But I've seen it pretty common that all you get is the onboard job and a PCI upgrade option. Unless you can find a good PCI video card that does what you want it to, you are stuck. Im pretty sure there is a card out there with that feature, I just havent researched that part. I'll look today and see if I can help with what you want. First thing is I need to learn more about HDTV video cards in general. But your main problem now is you do not have pcie or agp. Sorry buddy. :( 
February 9, 2007 6:30:13 PM

If you must have a pci-e 1x graphics card, this is your only option:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

although $110 USD for an x1300 might be a little much, but if your stuck, theres nothing else you can do, although if its only for HDTV purposes then you should be fine, gaming on the otherhand might be lacking.

hope this helped
February 9, 2007 6:36:55 PM

Not too many PCIe X1 cards are out there right now.
The one farmernate found is one of the only ones.
Its an X1300, so its better than your onboard, just don't plan on playing Oblivion at 1600x1200 at max settings. :lol: 
February 9, 2007 7:02:20 PM

I'll look at the x1300 option. I don't game much so maybe it will be OK. I was thinking of turning this into a HTPC, but maybe it's not capable.
February 9, 2007 7:10:28 PM

Quote:

That x300 would be some better "maybe" but I cant understand why they would build a dual 4200+ and make it so the customer can't upgrade there video for nothing. No slots or nothing. I guess they just try to sell the CPU number and figure that most people won't load Oblivion on it since 80% or more are just internet browsers anyway. But still. No upgrade on video is just lame marketing in my opinion. :) 
Sorry but maybe you can get you a good case and amd mother board and throw that 4200+ in that and upgrade from there. :) 
February 9, 2007 7:31:20 PM

i have an x1300 with 256 mb onboard for regular pci and hd video playback is quite choppy. i don't know if this will apply to you since you want to use pcie x1, but this is my 2 pennies.
February 9, 2007 7:57:31 PM

Is this your mobo: http://tinyurl.com/2oqxaa ?

It looks like there is a PCI-E x16 slot on the board, although it is labeled x1.
February 9, 2007 8:05:02 PM

Quote:
Is this your mobo: http://tinyurl.com/2oqxaa ?

It looks like there is a PCI-E x16 slot on the board, although it is labeled x1.

Shoot yeah.. your in luck if thats the case.. and honestly with you having a 4200+ it just about has to have a PCIE doesn't it? :)  If thats the board and you have that black slot, then your in luck. :) 
Nice reference find Larrman. :) 
February 9, 2007 8:33:18 PM

That is my MB, at least according to HP. I haven't opened the case to verify, but I know what I'll be doing tonight. I was going strictly by the HP literature. Now I have a better idea of what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the help.
February 9, 2007 9:44:03 PM

Quote:

I dont know much about the HDTV video card feature right now but it appears to me that all you have, as far as video upgrades, is the PCI slot only. Alot of people like HP, Dell, Gateway and all those at least put an AGP slot on there for upgrades. But I've seen it pretty common that all you get is the onboard job and a PCI upgrade option. Unless you can find a good PCI video card that does what you want it to, you are stuck. Im pretty sure there is a card out there with that feature, I just havent researched that part. I'll look today and see if I can help with what you want. First thing is I need to learn more about HDTV video cards in general. But your main problem now is you do not have pcie or agp. Sorry buddy. :(  If you want an HDTV card to fit in the PCI-e slot, this is the one:

http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/products/

or, if you can put up with just an analog card, but with two tuners, FM, and excellent picture quality, try this one:

http://www.vistaview.tv/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

These are both very good tuner cards for under $200
!