Folder Permissions - delete

Hello,

I have a share on a data server that is the lump of my document
management software... in this share, there are just folder upon subfolder
upon subfolder of word documents and excel ect. ect.

at the top of the share i have permisssions set so that the admin has
rights to do anything but delete, and domain users have full rights to
modify... i aslo have another 'super' admin that is designated as the only
group that had delete rights.

i have propogate checked on the permissions, so that the same
permissions as set on the share will trickle down to the subfolders... this
does not seem to be the case first i don't see any permissions carry down...
and second, i'm wondering if the advanced permissions (delete) option is
acutally going to work against deleting files as opposed to folders.

please give me any advice or consulation on my current plan. thanks.

For one thing "modify" permissions will allow a user to delete a file. You may also
want to look at using the fileacl utility to change permissions [which can also do
advanced permissions] and force inheritance if the Explorer gui does not seem to be
working right. Be sure to have a full backup before you start in case things go wrong
though with fileacl an administrator always should be able to change
ermissions. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en

"pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a share on a data server that is the lump of my document
> management software... in this share, there are just folder upon subfolder
> upon subfolder of word documents and excel ect. ect.
>
> at the top of the share i have permisssions set so that the admin has
> rights to do anything but delete, and domain users have full rights to
> modify... i aslo have another 'super' admin that is designated as the only
> group that had delete rights.
>
> i have propogate checked on the permissions, so that the same
> permissions as set on the share will trickle down to the subfolders... this
> does not seem to be the case first i don't see any permissions carry down...
> and second, i'm wondering if the advanced permissions (delete) option is
> acutally going to work against deleting files as opposed to folders.
>
> please give me any advice or consulation on my current plan. thanks.

thansk... i'm making myself and the two higher level admins the actual
admins to delete files... i'm keeping the techs out of the delete permission
incase somone does a search and wipes out some docs by accident.

i've found that my permissions were copying down... but i was getting a
problem with creation of new docs... the users did not have permissions to
create new docs when i took away delete and take ownership...

it seems that if i just take away delete and leave modify in the regular
permissions (not in the advanced tab) the user can still delete...

so i'm wondering how i can make it so that domain users cannot delete, but
can create new docs...
> For one thing "modify" permissions will allow a user to delete a file. You
may also
> want to look at using the fileacl utility to change permissions [which can
also do
> advanced permissions] and force inheritance if the Explorer gui does not
seem to be
> working right. Be sure to have a full backup before you start in case
things go wrong
> though with fileacl an administrator always should be able to change
> ermissions. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en

> "pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a share on a data server that is the lump of my document
> > management software... in this share, there are just folder upon
subfolder
> > upon subfolder of word documents and excel ect. ect.
> >
> > at the top of the share i have permisssions set so that the admin
has
> > rights to do anything but delete, and domain users have full rights to
> > modify... i aslo have another 'super' admin that is designated as the
only
> > group that had delete rights.
> >
> > i have propogate checked on the permissions, so that the same
> > permissions as set on the share will trickle down to the subfolders...
this
> > does not seem to be the case first i don't see any permissions carry
down...
> > and second, i'm wondering if the advanced permissions (delete) option is
> > acutally going to work against deleting files as opposed to folders.
> >
> > please give me any advice or consulation on my current plan. thanks.

Yes, modify will allow a user to delete files. Try giving then just
read/list/execute/write permissions to the folder. That should allow then to write
files to the folder, but not delete them unless the creator owner is present and has
full/modify permissions. The creator owner causes users to receive permissions
assigned to it when a user writes a file and is based on ownership. -- Steve

> thansk... i'm making myself and the two higher level admins the actual
> admins to delete files... i'm keeping the techs out of the delete permission
> incase somone does a search and wipes out some docs by accident.
>
> i've found that my permissions were copying down... but i was getting a
> problem with creation of new docs... the users did not have permissions to
> create new docs when i took away delete and take ownership...
>
> it seems that if i just take away delete and leave modify in the regular
> permissions (not in the advanced tab) the user can still delete...
>
> so i'm wondering how i can make it so that domain users cannot delete, but
> can create new docs...
> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> > For one thing "modify" permissions will allow a user to delete a file. You
> may also
> > want to look at using the fileacl utility to change permissions [which can
> also do
> > advanced permissions] and force inheritance if the Explorer gui does not
> seem to be
> > working right. Be sure to have a full backup before you start in case
> things go wrong
> > though with fileacl an administrator always should be able to change
> > ermissions. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en

> > "pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have a share on a data server that is the lump of my document
> > > management software... in this share, there are just folder upon
> subfolder
> > > upon subfolder of word documents and excel ect. ect.
> > >
> > > at the top of the share i have permisssions set so that the admin
> has
> > > rights to do anything but delete, and domain users have full rights to
> > > modify... i aslo have another 'super' admin that is designated as the
> only
> > > group that had delete rights.
> > >
> > > i have propogate checked on the permissions, so that the same
> > > permissions as set on the share will trickle down to the subfolders...
> this
> > > does not seem to be the case first i don't see any permissions carry
> down...
> > > and second, i'm wondering if the advanced permissions (delete) option is
> > > acutally going to work against deleting files as opposed to folders.
> > >
> > > please give me any advice or consulation on my current plan. thanks.

so for good practice the creator owner should be the 'super admin' group i
made, or just the domain\administrator account?

thanks for the help Steven

> Yes, modify will allow a user to delete files. Try giving then just
> read/list/execute/write permissions to the folder. That should allow then
to write
> files to the folder, but not delete them unless the creator owner is
present and has
> full/modify permissions. The creator owner causes users to receive
permissions
> assigned to it when a user writes a file and is based on ownership. --
Steve

> "pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > thansk... i'm making myself and the two higher level admins the actual
> > admins to delete files... i'm keeping the techs out of the delete
permission
> > incase somone does a search and wipes out some docs by accident.
> >
> > i've found that my permissions were copying down... but i was getting a
> > problem with creation of new docs... the users did not have permissions
> > create new docs when i took away delete and take ownership...
> >
> > it seems that if i just take away delete and leave modify in the regular
> > permissions (not in the advanced tab) the user can still delete...
> >
> > so i'm wondering how i can make it so that domain users cannot delete,
but
> > can create new docs...
> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > For one thing "modify" permissions will allow a user to delete a file.
You
> > may also
> > > want to look at using the fileacl utility to change permissions [which
can
> > also do
> > > advanced permissions] and force inheritance if the Explorer gui does
not
> > seem to be
> > > working right. Be sure to have a full backup before you start in case
> > things go wrong
> > > though with fileacl an administrator always should be able to change
> > > ermissions. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en

> > > "pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > subfolder

> > has
> > only

> > this
> > down...
option is

thanks.

No. The creator owner simply allows the person who creates a file to have higher
permissions than would otherwise be assigned to that user based on their group
membership. You domain administrators are always the top dog. --- Steve

> so for good practice the creator owner should be the 'super admin' group i
> made, or just the domain\administrator account?
>
> thanks for the help Steven
>

> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Yes, modify will allow a user to delete files. Try giving then just
> > read/list/execute/write permissions to the folder. That should allow then
> to write
> > files to the folder, but not delete them unless the creator owner is
> present and has
> > full/modify permissions. The creator owner causes users to receive
> permissions
> > assigned to it when a user writes a file and is based on ownership. --
> Steve
> >

> > "pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > thansk... i'm making myself and the two higher level admins the actual
> > > admins to delete files... i'm keeping the techs out of the delete
> permission
> > > incase somone does a search and wipes out some docs by accident.
> > >
> > > i've found that my permissions were copying down... but i was getting a
> > > problem with creation of new docs... the users did not have permissions
> > > create new docs when i took away delete and take ownership...
> > >
> > > it seems that if i just take away delete and leave modify in the regular
> > > permissions (not in the advanced tab) the user can still delete...
> > >
> > > so i'm wondering how i can make it so that domain users cannot delete,
> but
> > > can create new docs...
> > > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> You
> > > may also
> can
> > > also do
> not
> > > seem to be
> > > things go wrong

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en

> > > subfolder

> admin
> > > has
> the
> > > only

> subfolders...
> > > this
> > > down...
> option is

> thanks.

once i set up all the permissions and the deny rule for delete and delete
subfolders... i'm still getting an error about permissions and not being
able to be saved... i'm wondering if the ownership is messed up and is
causing my domain users to NOT be able to save... the ownership tab as the
local admin and the network administrator accounts attached.

any ideas on why i'm running into issues... basically i want my users to
have modify rights MINUS the delete options... but it doesn't seem to work
for me...

> No. The creator owner simply allows the person who creates a file to have
higher
> permissions than would otherwise be assigned to that user based on their
group
> membership. You domain administrators are always the top dog. --- Steve
>
> "pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > so for good practice the creator owner should be the 'super admin' group
> > made, or just the domain\administrator account?
> >
> > thanks for the help Steven
> >

> > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > Yes, modify will allow a user to delete files. Try giving then just
> > > read/list/execute/write permissions to the folder. That should allow
then
> > to write
> > > files to the folder, but not delete them unless the creator owner is
> > present and has
> > > full/modify permissions. The creator owner causes users to receive
> > permissions
> > > assigned to it when a user writes a file and is based on
wnership. --
> > Steve
> > >

> > > "pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > permission

> > but
> > You
> > can
> > not

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en

> > admin
> > the

> > subfolders...
> > option is

> > thanks.

I think you are trying to do the impossible. Modify without delete permissions is the
same as write permissions which is not good enough to modify files in many cases.
Owner ship has nothing to do with the ability to save or delete files. The owner can
change permissions. --- Steve

> once i set up all the permissions and the deny rule for delete and delete
> subfolders... i'm still getting an error about permissions and not being
> able to be saved... i'm wondering if the ownership is messed up and is
> causing my domain users to NOT be able to save... the ownership tab as the
> local admin and the network administrator accounts attached.
>
> any ideas on why i'm running into issues... basically i want my users to
> have modify rights MINUS the delete options... but it doesn't seem to work
> for me...
>

> "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> > No. The creator owner simply allows the person who creates a file to have
> higher
> > permissions than would otherwise be assigned to that user based on their
> group
> > membership. You domain administrators are always the top dog. --- Steve
> >
> > "pittspeed" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > so for good practice the creator owner should be the 'super admin' group
> > > made, or just the domain\administrator account?
> > >
> > > thanks for the help Steven
> > >

> > > "Steven L Umbach" <n9rou@n0-spam-for-me-comcast.net> wrote in message
> then
> > > to write
> > > present and has
> > > permissions
> wnership. --
> > > Steve

> actual
> > > permission

> getting a
> permissions

> regular

> delete,
> > > but
> message
> file.
> > > You
> [which
> > > can
> does
> > > not
> case
> change

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=723f64ea-34f0-4e6d-9a72-004d35de4e64&DisplayLang=en

> document

> > > admin
> rights
> as
> > > the

> same
> > > subfolders...
> carry
> > > option is
> folders.

> > > thanks.

ok... i was just making sure that the 'requirement' for our file system is
unattainable... from the one post from you i thought it was possible... i
*thought that modify is basically write permission which in turn is
essentially delete permission... which is impossible to avoid.

Thanks for the help steven.