Is this a good simple Build for my Girlfriend's dad?

cutthroat

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Windows XP runs much nicer with 1GB of RAM. Since DDR400 is really cheap, go with 2x512MB. It will make XP much quicker for general use.

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
Windows XP runs much nicer with 1GB of RAM. Since DDR400 is really cheap, go with 2x512MB. It will make XP much quicker for general use.

Another vote for 1GB. Even though he doesn't do much, it's nice. Also may prolong hard drive life by not using the swap file as much.

runswindows95

Distinguished
I see that he is purchasing 1GB of RAM myself:

CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model VS1GBKIT400 - Retail

For what he does, more than enough. The only suggestion I can make is you may want to go with AM2 instead of Socket 939 if you can afford it. 939 is a dead end at this point. Going AM2 will give you more freedom IF you do need to upgrade down the road.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I would suggest AM2 also,plus you have to change the mainboard and ram.What's more,personally,I would recommend a reputable, brand name PSU over the one that you have chosen (but guess what,since I'm a Malaysian,I don't know much about you guys' brand,so lets call it subjective decision :wink: ).

One more think,if you want to save some money (not much), abandon Lightscribe and buy sth else,I preferably choose Pioneer,but Samsung's and Sony's offerings seems very good too (normal one,with DL etc,but no Lightscribe)

Hope these helps

duffsr

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I'd skimp on the HD space, but offer him more CPU performace. Dual-cores are now cheap, and soo much snappier. I really think it'd impress him more to have that quick response of dual core. Maybe just a 3600x2 or 805d or something... Just my op.

AM2 would be better, 939 is no longer cheaper really...

Imagine 2 years from now...

Dad: This is great, but its about time for an upgrade.
You: Yeah, well, sorry but this is outdated hardware, I can't get DDR or 939 anymore...
Dad: (no longer thinking highly of you)

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
OK,

My personal view is to be careful about building computers for others.
This can lead you into permenent tech support.

Also if anything goes wrong with one of the parts or even gets infected by a virus, it points back to you.

Have you considered a Bundle Package such as this?

http://circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/170740/bundleId/7564/rpem/ccd/bundleDetail.do

If you were to add in an OS, this cost would not be much more and he would get a new printer and monitor as well. This would make it easier to sell his system as complete.

Retail systems actually tend to work quite well and are very reliable for light PC users such as your GF's dad.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
And Dont Forget Dell Outlet......
Here is a SYSTEM that is listed now...........
(Note:Systems come/go every 5 minutes.)

Dimension E521
(System Identifier: 0GXD0HVX)

Dimension E521 Small Mini-Tower: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ (2.0 GHz)
Genuine Windows XP Home

System Price : $389.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Operating System
Genuine Windows XP Home
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Memory
1 GB DDR2 SDRAM 533MHz (2 DIMMs)
Hard Disk Drive
160 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Certified Refurbished
Certified Refurbished
Base
Dimension E521 Small Mini-Tower: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 3800+ (2.0 GHz)
Media Bay
16X DVD ROM Drive
Software
Corel Snapfire Basic
Norton Internet Security 2006, 90-day trial
Dell Direct Download
Resource CD
Trial pack- Basic and trial products from Corel and Yahoo
Earthlink ISP
Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Reader
ISP Search Assist
Image Restore Software
Support Software
Microsoft Works 8.5 with MS Office Trial Version Software
Operating System CD
AOL ISP Software
Earthlink ISP Software
AOL ISP Software
Sonic Cineplayer
Windows Media Player
AOL 9.0 ISP Software
Software
Misc
Shipping Material
Hardware is Microsoft Vista Capable
No Floppy Drive
Hardware is Microsoft Vista Capable
AOL Software Documentation
Processor Label
No Raid
USB Keyboard
USB 2 Button Mouse
No Modem Option
No Speakers

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
OK,

My personal view is to be careful about building computers for others.
This can lead you into permenent tech support.

Also if anything goes wrong with one of the parts or even gets infected by a virus, it points back to you.

Have you considered a Bundle Package such as this?

http://circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/170740/bundleId/7564/rpem/ccd/bundleDetail.do

If you were to add in an OS, this cost would not be much more and he would get a new printer and monitor as well. This would make it easier to sell his system as complete.

Retail systems actually tend to work quite well and are very reliable for light PC users such as your GF's dad.

I echo this suggestion. Building a computer for someone else is risky business, even if you are doing it for free. I bet she (and you) would be much happier with a "brand" computer than your built one.

sweetpants

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2006
I agree with the above poster. But if you want to make a good impression, build it for him but I strongly suggest you don't do it for free. Have him pay for dinner for you and your g/f or something. But if you do it for free, no matter how nice the guy is, he will end up taking advantage of you wether he means to or not.

EDIT:

For example, I'm tech support for the company I work for. I helped my father get setup with a computer. Now I get calls on my days off for me to come help him. I don't mind helping every now and again, but now I'm getting calls when I'm home sick, taking vacation etc.

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Thanks for all the responses thus far, much apprecaited.

To be completely honest my girlfriend and I are his tech support already. We have ben for a few years. He has an older (5-6 year old) HP. and he has been complaining about it daily for the past 2 years lol. Mostly b/c I know he needs more ram/a new HD, but he won't buy anything...
We tried last year to get him a new one but it fell through b/c he didn't want to spend the money.

So money is a big factor for him.

BUT since it's tax season, we are going to "convince" him he needs to do this. Part of that convincing though will be price. So I'm trying to work out a good system and stay under $400.

The tech support thing for him isn't an iddue.. we can both do whatever, b/c he's going to ask no matter what as he's still completely illiterate when it comes to comps lol. As I said ebay/internet/his pictures.. that's his extent. anything else is too confusing for him :)

Take advice from what other's have said.
Point your girlfriend's dad to Gateway or Dell. I had my parents go to Gateway when they used have those Gateway stores around in the neighborhoods. When they had a problem, they called Gateway to come and fix them, not me. Served them very well, they still use their old 500Mhz PII with 128 meg of memory. They do exactly the same thing your girlfriend's dad does. They don't care how slow it is. Ever see the commercial for the Slowskis or whatever, the one about high speed internet where the 2 turtles say that Comcast high speed internet is just too fast for them? Makes them feel rushed! What's the hurry?
That's my parents! :lol:

In my experience, once you do a favor for someone and build them a PC, or even fix one as a friendly gesture, suddenly you become their 24 hour a day tech support for every little issue they have.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
:D Very true indeed :wink:
I've become one for my mother's friend,for 5 years coming to 6.Even if you have something else to do,you couldn't turn them down....sigh.... :?

kyosuke

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
:D Very true indeed :wink:
I've become one for my mother's friend,for 5 years coming to 6.Even if you have something else to do,you couldn't turn them down....sigh.... :?

lol, yeah... as I said he relys on us every day already for tech support, so nothing new/will change there. The fact he knows we know shit screwed up a long time ago :) so building is a good option and this way we know exactly wtf to do with it.