Is there an EASE OF USE mod for this game?

I cant not believe I am actually redoing my HP each level-up until I
get max. Haven't done that in quite some time in Baldur's Gate thanks
to the Ease of Use Mod. Is there something similar for Neverwinter
Nights that would work with the official Bioware campaign? Thanks.
97 answers Last reply
More about ease game

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 00:18:01 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >I cant not believe I am actually redoing my HP each level-up until I
    >get max. Haven't done that in quite some time in Baldur's Gate thanks
    >to the Ease of Use Mod. Is there something similar for Neverwinter
    >Nights that would work with the official Bioware campaign? Thanks.

    Why do you feel the need to cheat?

    Mike S. wrote:
    > I cant not believe I am actually redoing my HP each level-up until I
    > get max. Haven't done that in quite some time in Baldur's Gate thanks
    > to the Ease of Use Mod. Is there something similar for Neverwinter
    > Nights that would work with the official Bioware campaign? Thanks.

    I can't believe you find the game so hard that you must do this.

    Mike S. schrieb:
    > I cant not believe I am actually redoing my HP each level-up until I
    > get max. Haven't done that in quite some time in Baldur's Gate thanks
    > to the Ease of Use Mod. Is there something similar for Neverwinter
    > Nights that would work with the official Bioware campaign? Thanks.

    If you want to cheat, why not use the console?

    Greetings
    Arne Steffens

    PS: I think you could beat the game with ease without max hitpoint at
    lvl up.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:50:42 -0400, John Salerno
    <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >I can't believe you find the game so hard that you must do this.

    This coming from the guy who has to post one hundred times to get
    advice over every little thing. In this game and in Baldur's Gate.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:25:04 +0200, Arne Steffens
    <news.15.wackelzahn@spamgourmet.com> wrote:

    >Mike S. schrieb:
    >> I cant not believe I am actually redoing my HP each level-up until I
    >> get max. Haven't done that in quite some time in Baldur's Gate thanks
    >> to the Ease of Use Mod. Is there something similar for Neverwinter
    >> Nights that would work with the official Bioware campaign? Thanks.
    >
    >If you want to cheat, why not use the console?

    This isn't a bad idea actually. I had forgotten the game even has one
    that is readily accessible.

    >PS: I think you could beat the game with ease without max hitpoint at
    >lvl up.

    I don't think anyone ever used the max HP on level up in Baldur's Gate
    because they thought the game was too hard otherwise.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:32:58 -0700, Loren Pechtel
    <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Why do you feel the need to cheat?

    Ok so I am guessing from the responses that there isn't an Ease of Use
    mod then? <g>
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:32:58 -0700, Loren Pechtel
    <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Why do you feel the need to cheat?

    i think, for some people, it's not so much a 'need to cheat' as it is a sort of
    'obsessive/compulsive' kind of thing. "i could do better than that", you think.
    so you do it over and over, until you get perfect...

    eudas
    Inside of every silver lining, there's a big, dark cloud.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 05:03:11 GMT, eudas <eudas@kdi.com> wrote:

    >i think, for some people, it's not so much a 'need to cheat' as it is a sort of
    >'obsessive/compulsive' kind of thing. "i could do better than that", you think.
    >so you do it over and over, until you get perfect...

    Or maybe I just don't want a random die roll to give me 7 hitpoints
    every level instead of 12.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:50:42 -0400, John Salerno
    > <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I can't believe you find the game so hard that you must do this.
    >

    > This coming from the guy who has to post one hundred times to get
    > advice over every little thing. In this game and in Baldur's Gate.

    What are you talking about?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:52:40 -0400, John Salerno
    <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >What are you talking about?

    Apparently *you* find the game so difficult, that you have to get
    advice on the most basic of things like which of two low level armors
    you should wear! I figured out for myself most of the stuff you had to
    post about over the past months and yet you have the nerve to suggest
    that I think the game is hard! I don't want max HP because I find the
    game too difficult. I simply don't like something as important as my
    hitpoints being decided by one random die roll every level up. An ease
    of use mod, like the one that already exists for Baldur's Gate, would
    save me the trouble of releveling until I get decent HP. I figured
    that an ease of use mod for this game would also add other nice things
    to the game as it did for Baldur's Gate. And so I wanted to know if
    one existed. I had already checked via google, but nothing came up.

    Regardless of what you think of the above, a simple yes or no to my
    original question would have sufficed and this thread would already be
    dead.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 06:25:02 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 05:03:11 GMT, eudas <eudas@kdi.com> wrote:
    >
    >>i think, for some people, it's not so much a 'need to cheat' as it is a sort of
    >>'obsessive/compulsive' kind of thing. "i could do better than that", you think.
    >>so you do it over and over, until you get perfect...
    >
    >Or maybe I just don't want a random die roll to give me 7 hitpoints
    >every level instead of 12.

    umm, yes, but that isn't that sort of the point of the system? that
    characters grow in random ways, not the maximum possible every level ?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Belit wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 06:25:02 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >

    >>On Thu, 19 May 2005 05:03:11 GMT, eudas <eudas@kdi.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>i think, for some people, it's not so much a 'need to cheat' as it is a sort of
    >>>'obsessive/compulsive' kind of thing. "i could do better than that", you think.
    >>>so you do it over and over, until you get perfect...
    >>
    >>Or maybe I just don't want a random die roll to give me 7 hitpoints
    >>every level instead of 12.
    >

    > umm, yes, but that isn't that sort of the point of the system? that
    > characters grow in random ways, not the maximum possible every level ?
    I was really surprised that when I got my physics phd I didn't
    immediately become Stephen Hawking; where's the Ease of Use mod for life :)
    CS

    --

    Take the piss to mail me.
    (For those that want to know who the

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 10:48:04 +0100, Belit <dot@dot.dot.dot> wrote:

    >umm, yes, but that isn't that sort of the point of the system? that
    >characters grow in random ways, not the maximum possible every level ?

    If you want a gimped character at level 20 due to some poor random die
    rolls, perhaps because you like the increased challenge, then more
    power to you.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. kirjoitti:
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 10:48:04 +0100, Belit <dot@dot.dot.dot> wrote:
    >

    >>umm, yes, but that isn't that sort of the point of the system? that
    >>characters grow in random ways, not the maximum possible every level ?
    >

    > If you want a gimped character at level 20 due to some poor random die
    > rolls, perhaps because you like the increased challenge, then more
    > power to you.

    Getting the lowest hp on every level up is very unlikely... Even the
    lowest on about half of the levels (which reasonably might happen) will
    provide you with a decent character. Role-players vs. Power-players
    issue of course.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    I can't say I even noticed what HP I gained every time I levelled up my
    character - I wasn't paying attention to that. I still finished the EP
    campaigns twice without any problems and my second character as gone on to
    wallop her way through Shadow over Heliopolis which seems to be a fairly
    tough mod. I often find that changing tactics for a fight makes the
    difference between winning it easily and getting basted. But then I tend to
    favour non-fighter-type characters and the use of alternative tactics is a
    necessity.

    Ah well.
    Best wishes
    Maxon

    "vellu" <velimala@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Mike S. kirjoitti:
    > > On Fri, 20 May 2005 10:48:04 +0100, Belit <dot@dot.dot.dot> wrote:
    > >

    > >>umm, yes, but that isn't that sort of the point of the system? that
    > >>characters grow in random ways, not the maximum possible every level ?
    > >

    > > If you want a gimped character at level 20 due to some poor random die
    > > rolls, perhaps because you like the increased challenge, then more
    > > power to you.
    >
    > Getting the lowest hp on every level up is very unlikely... Even the
    > lowest on about half of the levels (which reasonably might happen) will
    > provide you with a decent character. Role-players vs. Power-players
    > issue of course.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 01:23:05 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:32:58 -0700, Loren Pechtel
    ><lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Why do you feel the need to cheat?
    >
    >Ok so I am guessing from the responses that there isn't an Ease of Use
    >mod then? <g>

    I've sure never looked for one.

    Have you investigated what happens when you set the difficulty to
    easy?
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 06:25:02 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 19 May 2005 05:03:11 GMT, eudas <eudas@kdi.com> wrote:
    >
    >>i think, for some people, it's not so much a 'need to cheat' as it is a sort of
    >>'obsessive/compulsive' kind of thing. "i could do better than that", you think.
    >>so you do it over and over, until you get perfect...
    >
    >Or maybe I just don't want a random die roll to give me 7 hitpoints
    >every level instead of 12.

    If you're using a d12, 7 is just above average. Nothing wrong with
    that.

    I just recently played the OC with one character with slightly boosted
    stats but no henchman. (I got tired of their idiotic behavior.) So
    far I've gone into battle with a henchman once dealing with that
    Balor? in the Luskan tower. He kept casting that spell I think might
    be implosion and there was simply nothing I could do about it, I
    always failed my save and died. Against the Death Slaad I had enough
    space and was able to keep the range open, I was ok. Against the
    Balors guarding the wizards during the seige I got lucky and a few
    reloads let me drop them without them getting off that spell. I'm up
    against Aribeth now and I've decided to give up and bring Daelan to
    take the spell. Note that the only issue is the save-or-die spell, in
    no other way has it been too hard.
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. wrote:
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:52:40 -0400, John Salerno
    > <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>What are you talking about?
    >

    > Apparently *you* find the game so difficult, that you have to get
    > advice on the most basic of things like which of two low level armors
    > you should wear! I figured out for myself most of the stuff you had to
    > post about over the past months and yet you have the nerve to suggest
    > that I think the game is hard! I don't want max HP because I find the
    > game too difficult. I simply don't like something as important as my
    > hitpoints being decided by one random die roll every level up. An ease
    > of use mod, like the one that already exists for Baldur's Gate, would
    > save me the trouble of releveling until I get decent HP. I figured
    > that an ease of use mod for this game would also add other nice things
    > to the game as it did for Baldur's Gate. And so I wanted to know if
    > one existed. I had already checked via google, but nothing came up.
    >
    > Regardless of what you think of the above, a simple yes or no to my
    > original question would have sufficed and this thread would already be
    > dead.

    I'm still not too sure what you're talking about. I don't recall posting
    many questions to this board. As far as armor goes, I played a mage for
    the OC so I never wore armor anyway, so why would I ask about that?
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 06:32:12 -0400, Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 20 May 2005 10:48:04 +0100, Belit <dot@dot.dot.dot> wrote:
    >
    >>umm, yes, but that isn't that sort of the point of the system? that
    >>characters grow in random ways, not the maximum possible every level ?
    >
    >If you want a gimped character at level 20 due to some poor random die
    >rolls, perhaps because you like the increased challenge, then more
    >power to you.

    It might happen to somebody, somewhere, sometime. It's not going to
    happen often enough to worry about.

    Your problem is that you don't realize that a 7 on a d12 isn't bad.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:56:12 -0400, John Salerno
    <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >I'm still not too sure what you're talking about. I don't recall posting
    >many questions to this board. As far as armor goes, I played a mage for
    >the OC so I never wore armor anyway, so why would I ask about that?

    You post a ton of questions over the last six months that were easily
    answerable by yourself. Its all there John. Including your silly armor
    question. ;) I just got the game a few weeks ago, so I have been
    reading up on older messages. It is as if you can not decide on
    anything without help from usenetters. So don't suggest that I find
    the game too hard. I certainly didn't need any help to get as far as I
    did. As far as the OC is concerned, up to getting to Luskan, it has
    been pretty easy so far.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    John Salerno wrote:
    > Mike S. wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:52:40 -0400, John Salerno
    >> <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>> What are you talking about?
    >>

    >> Apparently *you* find the game so difficult, that you have to get
    >> advice on the most basic of things like which of two low level armors
    >> you should wear! I figured out for myself most of the stuff you had to
    >> post about over the past months and yet you have the nerve to suggest
    >> that I think the game is hard! I don't want max HP because I find the
    >> game too difficult. I simply don't like something as important as my
    >> hitpoints being decided by one random die roll every level up. An ease
    >> of use mod, like the one that already exists for Baldur's Gate, would
    >> save me the trouble of releveling until I get decent HP. I figured
    >> that an ease of use mod for this game would also add other nice things
    >> to the game as it did for Baldur's Gate. And so I wanted to know if
    >> one existed. I had already checked via google, but nothing came up.
    >>
    >> Regardless of what you think of the above, a simple yes or no to my
    >> original question would have sufficed and this thread would already be
    >> dead.
    >

    > I'm still not too sure what you're talking about. I don't recall posting
    > many questions to this board. As far as armor goes, I played a mage for
    > the OC so I never wore armor anyway, so why would I ask about that?
    John,
    Don't bite on this flamebait. He seems to be someone who prolly never
    played P&P D&D and just wants an easy way to play all the campaigns
    available to us, without having to actually role-play and accept the
    consequences.
    The sooner this thread is ended the better.
    CS

    --

    Take the piss to mail me.
    (For those that want to know who the
    Central Scrutinizer is, check out
    Joe's Garage by Frank Zappa)
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:02:08 GMT, Central Scrutinizer
    <tdyl@blueyonderthepiss.co.uk> wrote:

    >John,
    >Don't bite on this flamebait.

    I want to know if a certain mod exists for this game that I did make a
    reasonable search for myself first. Instead of a simple yes or no, I
    get everything from the evils of cheating to John's message of how
    inadequate I am at playing this game! And you have the nerve to tell
    me that *I* am flamebaiting? Sorry, but the messages are right there
    in black and white electrons for anyone to see.

    > He seems to be someone who prolly never
    >played P&P D&D

    So? What does that have to do with anything?

    >and just wants an easy way to play all the campaigns
    >available to us, without having to actually role-play and accept the
    >consequences.

    The very first character I always play is a paladin. I choose every
    option that I think he would choose, even when it means not accepting
    money for completing a quest. I never even loot the damn houses
    despite the fact there is no penalty for doing so. That right there
    is more roleplaying then most people reading this very message engage
    in. At the exact same time, I was getting bored at redoing my levels
    until I got decent HP. Harmless really. I thought so anyway. :)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:56:12 -0400, John Salerno
    > <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I'm still not too sure what you're talking about. I don't recall posting
    >>many questions to this board. As far as armor goes, I played a mage for
    >>the OC so I never wore armor anyway, so why would I ask about that?
    >

    > You post a ton of questions over the last six months that were easily
    > answerable by yourself. Its all there John. Including your silly armor
    > question. ;) I just got the game a few weeks ago, so I have been
    > reading up on older messages. It is as if you can not decide on
    > anything without help from usenetters. So don't suggest that I find
    > the game too hard. I certainly didn't need any help to get as far as I
    > did. As far as the OC is concerned, up to getting to Luskan, it has
    > been pretty easy so far.

    Well, I'm still not convinced of this, but I'm willing to bet that the
    questions I asked were oriented toward what other people thought of
    certain things, advice on how something could be done, etc., and *not*
    asking how to advance in the game because I thought it was too hard. So
    you're original point still doesn't make sense.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:34:14 -0400, John Salerno
    <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

    >Well, I'm still not convinced of this, but I'm willing to bet that the
    >questions I asked were oriented toward what other people thought of
    >certain things, advice on how something could be done, etc., and *not*
    >asking how to advance in the game because I thought it was too hard. So
    >you're original point still doesn't make sense.

    John, none of this really matters. What matters is that your original
    response to my question was rude. Read it again. As was several other
    combination thereof of the game that I bought and paid for, that is my
    choice. That is what it comes down to.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 16:09:28 -0700, Loren Pechtel
    <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I've sure never looked for one.

    "neverwinter nights" + "ease of use mod" in google turned up nothing.
    Neither did checking NWN vault and Planet Neverwinter. I found those
    sites via google. I already said I tried google before posting here. I
    did so because it would have been faster that way to find the mod
    rather then wait here for a response.

    >Have you investigated what happens when you set the difficulty to
    >easy?

    Well I read the description. Looks like it would make the game too
    easy with my Henchman and I doing more damage then we should be. I
    wouldn't be interested in that, even if it also gives me max HP at
    level up. The description for setting the difficulty to easy doesn't
    say anything about my hitpoints anyway .. unless you know something
    different?
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 19:08:05 -0700, Loren Pechtel
    <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Your problem is that you don't realize that a 7 on a d12 isn't bad.

    Your problem is that you don't realize that your opinion on the matter
    is irrelevant to me and *still* does not answer my original question.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. submitted this idea :
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 17:56:12 -0400, John Salerno
    > <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm still not too sure what you're talking about. I don't recall posting
    >> many questions to this board. As far as armor goes, I played a mage for
    >> the OC so I never wore armor anyway, so why would I ask about that?
    >
    > You post a ton of questions over the last six months that were easily
    > answerable by yourself. Its all there John. Including your silly armor
    > question. ;) I just got the game a few weeks ago, so I have been
    > reading up on older messages. It is as if you can not decide on
    > anything without help from usenetters. So don't suggest that I find
    > the game too hard. I certainly didn't need any help to get as far as I
    > did. As far as the OC is concerned, up to getting to Luskan, it has
    > been pretty easy so far.

    Get a grip people!
    If you know the answer to the question then answer it (if you're
    feeling kindly disposed)... otherwise keep your opinions to yourselves.
    All this junk doesn't contribute anything to the newsgroup community at
    all.

    --
    ----------
    DS

    As we passed on
    it seemed as if those scenes
    of visionary enchantment
    would never have an end.

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. wrote:
    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:34:14 -0400, John Salerno
    > <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Well, I'm still not convinced of this, but I'm willing to bet that the
    >>questions I asked were oriented toward what other people thought of
    >>certain things, advice on how something could be done, etc., and *not*
    >>asking how to advance in the game because I thought it was too hard. So
    >>you're original point still doesn't make sense.
    >

    > John, none of this really matters. What matters is that your original
    > response to my question was rude. Read it again. As was several other
    > combination thereof of the game that I bought and paid for, that is my
    > choice. That is what it comes down to.

    I don't necessarily think it was rude, but it was more or less
    unnecessary. It's just surprising to me that someone would re-level up
    like that just to get max HP.

    Mike S wrote:
    > I cant not believe I am actually redoing my HP each level-up until I
    > get max. Haven't done that in quite some time in Baldur's Gate thanks
    > to the Ease of Use Mod. Is there something similar for Neverwinter
    > Nights that would work with the official Bioware campaign? Thanks.

    Good grief, in hope of bringing the sniping in this thread to an end (a
    vain hope I know):

    There is not an Ease of Use mod for NWN. At least, I've never seen one
    and most people here seem to agree.

    For accomplishing the same sort of thing in NWN, look into LETO and the
    command console.

    LETO is a character editor that will allow you to modify your character
    in pretty much any way you want.

    Via the command console, you can turn on debug mode and have access to
    plenty of commands to modify the game.

    - W. Citoan
    --
    It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits:
    freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.

    John Salerno <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> looked up from reading the
    say:

    >Mike S. wrote:
    >> On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:34:14 -0400, John Salerno
    >> <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Well, I'm still not convinced of this, but I'm willing to bet that the
    >>>questions I asked were oriented toward what other people thought of
    >>>certain things, advice on how something could be done, etc., and *not*
    >>>asking how to advance in the game because I thought it was too hard. So
    >>>you're original point still doesn't make sense.
    >>

    >> John, none of this really matters. What matters is that your original
    >> response to my question was rude. Read it again. As was several other
    >> combination thereof of the game that I bought and paid for, that is my
    >> choice. That is what it comes down to.
    >
    >I don't necessarily think it was rude, but it was more or less
    >unnecessary. It's just surprising to me that someone would re-level up
    >like that just to get max HP.

    Munchkinism.

    Read and be enlightened.

    http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2967/munch1.html

    Xocyll
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
    porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

    >On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:02:08 GMT, Central Scrutinizer
    ><tdyl@blueyonderthepiss.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >>John,
    >>Don't bite on this flamebait.
    >
    >I want to know if a certain mod exists for this game that I did make a
    >reasonable search for myself first. Instead of a simple yes or no, I
    >get everything from the evils of cheating to John's message of how
    >inadequate I am at playing this game! And you have the nerve to tell
    >me that *I* am flamebaiting? Sorry, but the messages are right there
    >in black and white electrons for anyone to see.

    You're asking for a cheat, and no the "search" you listed for google is
    not a reasonable search, since that would ONLY turn up a mod called
    "ease of use mod" and nothing else.

    >> He seems to be someone who prolly never
    >>played P&P D&D
    >
    >So? What does that have to do with anything?

    Quite a bit actually. See the whole d12 thing on level up is
    simulating YOU ROLLING A 12 sided dice.

    The chances of you rolling 12 every time is effectively zero.

    You want to cheat, that's all.

    >>and just wants an easy way to play all the campaigns
    >>available to us, without having to actually role-play and accept the
    >>consequences.
    >
    >The very first character I always play is a paladin. I choose every
    >option that I think he would choose, even when it means not accepting
    >money for completing a quest. I never even loot the damn houses
    >despite the fact there is no penalty for doing so. That right there
    >is more roleplaying then most people reading this very message engage
    >in. At the exact same time, I was getting bored at redoing my levels
    >until I got decent HP. Harmless really. I thought so anyway. :)

    Harmless, but still cheating, and more importantly, sidestepping one of
    the factors of how the game is balanced.

    Funny that a ROLEPLAYED PALADIN, is resorting to cheating.

    I could _almost_ see the point of reloading to get better hp on a mage
    type that has a low hit die, but not fighter classes that will have
    enough regardless.

    Xocyll
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:47:15 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
    wrote:

    >Quite a bit actually. See the whole d12 thing on level up is
    >simulating YOU ROLLING A 12 sided dice.

    I don't care one bit if its supposed to ME ROLLING a die or not.

    I. Just. Don't. Care. <shrug>

    >You want to cheat, that's all.

    Umm, yes? What about it Xocyll? So? I don't think I ever rationalized
    rerolling my HP. I just want to. Period. End of discussion. It is a
    non issue for me. It is amazing how bent out shape some of you get. It
    isn't important. Move on.
  33. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. wrote:

    You've got style. I'm sorry I didn't interject into this earlier.

    Unfortunately, I don't understand the toolset (it's harder than WeiDU,
    which is really ridiculous considering this game is supposed to be
    designed to be moddable and BG2 wasn't...) and looking for the answer to
    your question turned up this:
    http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=264021&forum=47 .
    It's not good news. I don't even think it's possible to directly alter
    HP with the console. The game is very weirdly obtuse in this area.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Mike S. kirjoitti:
    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:47:15 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Quite a bit actually. See the whole d12 thing on level up is
    >>simulating YOU ROLLING A 12 sided dice.
    >

    > I don't care one bit if its supposed to ME ROLLING a die or not.
    >
    > I. Just. Don't. Care. <shrug>
    >
    >>You want to cheat, that's all.
    >

    > Umm, yes? What about it Xocyll? So? I don't think I ever rationalized
    > rerolling my HP. I just want to. Period. End of discussion. It is a
    > non issue for me. It is amazing how bent out shape some of you get. It
    > isn't important. Move on.

    You're right. Matter of gaming style (as I mentioned earlier, those who
    prefer roleplaying vs. those who prefer powerplaying). Nothing wrong
    with either method. Both sides feel the other people are doing something
    "odd".

    Xocyll did have a good point however about game balance. The official
    campaigns atleast are designed to be playable with an "average"
    character. Maxxing out preferences will make the game very easy to play.
    For some (like yourself, I would imagine) this is not a problem. But me,
    and the "roleplaying" people feel that this will take out quite a bit of
    the fun from the game. Not to mention indeed ruin the "natural"
    development of the character. Not everyone is supposed to be a
    "superman"... Try playing with a weakling character sometime. Requires a
    completely different gaming strategy, and imo can even be more fun.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    vellu wrote:
    > Mike S. kirjoitti:
    >
    >> On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:47:15 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Quite a bit actually. See the whole d12 thing on level up is
    >>> simulating YOU ROLLING A 12 sided dice.
    >>

    >> I don't care one bit if its supposed to ME ROLLING a die or not.
    >> I. Just. Don't. Care. <shrug>
    >>
    >>> You want to cheat, that's all.
    >>

    >> Umm, yes? What about it Xocyll? So? I don't think I ever rationalized
    >> rerolling my HP. I just want to. Period. End of discussion. It is a
    >> non issue for me. It is amazing how bent out shape some of you get. It
    >> isn't important. Move on.
    >

    > You're right. Matter of gaming style (as I mentioned earlier, those who
    > prefer roleplaying vs. those who prefer powerplaying). Nothing wrong
    > with either method. Both sides feel the other people are doing something
    > "odd".
    >
    > Xocyll did have a good point however about game balance. The official
    > campaigns atleast are designed to be playable with an "average"
    > character. Maxxing out preferences will make the game very easy to play.
    > For some (like yourself, I would imagine) this is not a problem. But me,
    > and the "roleplaying" people feel that this will take out quite a bit of
    > the fun from the game.

    Um. Hey. I feel an obligation to take issue with the juxtaposition of
    "not wanting too many hit points" and "roleplaying." It is not "those
    who prefer roleplaying vs. those who prefer powerplaying"--and it's
    disingenuous to claim there isn't a value judgment in those terms.
    Would you describe "powerplaying" in a way that 1) sounds just as valid
    as roleplaying, and 2) describes someone who, when playing paladins,
    only does good things, yet rerolls for maximum hit points on level up?
  36. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:04:02 +0300, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Xocyll did have a good point however about game balance. The official
    >campaigns atleast are designed to be playable with an "average"
    >character. Maxxing out preferences will make the game very easy to play.
    >For some (like yourself, I would imagine) this is not a problem. But me,
    >and the "roleplaying" people feel that this will take out quite a bit of
    >the fun from the game. Not to mention indeed ruin the "natural"
    >development of the character. Not everyone is supposed to be a
    >"superman"... Try playing with a weakling character sometime. Requires a
    >completely different gaming strategy, and imo can even be more fun.

    You see, you are making the same mistake that Xocyll is making. He
    mentioned how could a roleplaying paladin powergame his HP? I
    scratched my head at that particular comment and decided not to
    respond to it because I honestly had no idea what he was talking
    about. It only occurred to me later that he believed that doing _any_
    kind of powergaming negates roleplaying, which to put it bluntly, is
    bullshit.
  37. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > You see, you are making the same mistake that Xocyll is making. He
    > mentioned how could a roleplaying paladin powergame his HP? I
    > scratched my head at that particular comment and decided not to
    > respond to it because I honestly had no idea what he was talking
    > about. It only occurred to me later that he believed that doing _any_
    > kind of powergaming negates roleplaying, which to put it bluntly, is
    > bullshit.

    I suppose xocyll was referring to: How could a super-good Paladin resort
    to cheating? He/she would not. When you are effectively cheating for HP,
    that isn't strickly speaking true to a paladin. Not that these two
    things would need to correlate (how you act and how your character
    acts). I don't mind you going for max hp, but in my opinion it is
    powergaming, not being true to a role.

    I believe we have different sense of what "roleplaying" means. In my
    opion being true a to role also includes obeing the rules of the game.
    When you bend the rules during level-up's your character progression no
    longer follows it's "natural" course it would have without interference.
    A small detail, I know, but to me it's enough to ruin a true role/character.

    Now, there's nothing wrong with you doing this imo. Two different styles
    of gameplay. One is extremely true to role/rules, the other bends them
    slightly to gain a better character.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:50:33 +0300, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I believe we have different sense of what "roleplaying" means.

    Our definition, I am sure, is the same. It is only in how we apply it,
    that differs.

    >In my
    >opion being true a to role also includes obeing the rules of the game.

    But then you would not have to obey those rules if you were playing a
    roll that did not demand that you do which just sounds silly to me.
    Obeying the game rules should be a decision you make independent of
    your player character. We can disagree on this. I understand your
    position now which is enough.
  39. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Xocyll wrote:
    > Mike S. <mike@nowhere.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
    > porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
    >

    >>On Mon, 23 May 2005 16:12:47 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>And we don't really care that you want to cheat,
    >>
    >>Ha! Sure you don't! Of course you (by you, I mean the people who
    >>responded) do. I have even been asked, *why* do I want to cheat. How
    >>the hell can that not be caring? If you didn't care, you would have
    >>either answered my question or not have replied at all. This *entire*
    >>thread is about cheating! It should be about the existence or not
    >>existence of a mod. It should be exactly like the thread Kish linked
    >>to in his reply. Don't tell me you don't care. That is nonsense. It
    >>really ruffles your feathers that I want to redo my HP. That much is
    >>obvious.
    >

    > You asked about a mod, you got told there weren't any,

    Did he? That post seems to be mysteriously missing from my server. The
    first post that actually answers his question is W. Citoan's post on the
    21st.

    > and then you
    > started flaming people.
    > Then and only then did we mention your idiocy in cheating and flaming

    <<I can't believe you find the game so hard that you must do this. >>

    That's rude.

    <<Why do you feel the need to cheat?>>

    That's rude.

    > and claiming to roleplay.

    <<The very first character I always play is a paladin. I choose every
    option that I think he would choose, even when it means not accepting
    money for completing a quest. I never even loot the damn houses
    despite the fact there is no penalty for doing so. That right there
    is more roleplaying then most people reading this very message engage
    in.>>

    The fact is, he's absolutely right. Most people do whatever gets them
    the most XP, regardless of whether their character would do it or not.
    Ever seen a Baldur's Gate walkthrough that doesn't say either "kill
    Drizzt" or, "Drizzt is too tough to kill, but you can pickpocket his
    scimitar"? Or even one that acknowledges (except as a grudging
    afterthought) that maybe someone playing a good character wouldn't want
    to kill and/or rob heroes of the Realms? If you want to give someone a
    hard time for not roleplaying, there are dozens of people who deserve it
    far more than someone who wants maximum hit points on level up.

    And...yeah. Your equation of "cheating" with "not roleplaying" is
    really weird. Number of hit points only impacts the mechanics side of
    the game; it makes fights easier or harder. It has nothing to do with
    roleplaying.

    >>>There's a rather large dichotomy between your "roleplaying" lawful good
    >>>and cheating for max hp.
    >>
    >>Well at least now I understand your position. I just don't agree with
    >>it. Rerolling my HP has nothing to do with the paladin. Applying your
    >>idea of roleplaying, I can not cheat if I am playing a paladin, but it
    >>is perfectly acceptable to cheat if I am playing an unlawful
    >>character. That is just silly. Redoing your HP is something the player
    >>(Mike S.) does. The player character (the paladin) is irrelevant in
    >>this decision. Dichotomy my ass.
    >

    > It's not though, because your cheating changes the paladin you are
    > supposedly roleplaying.

    What a bizarre idea. So...if someone always played Chaotic Evil
    characters, cheating would be appropriate? (Actually, wouldn't it be
    required? In this whacked-out philosophy of yours, would playing by the
    rules be appropriate to someone really "roleplaying" a Chaotic Evil
    character?)
  40. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 13:28:21 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
    wrote:

    >You asked about a mod, you got told there weren't any, and then you
    >started flaming people.
    >Then and only then did we mention your idiocy in cheating and flaming
    >and claiming to roleplay.

    Umm, no. You got that ordered wrong. I asked about a mod (you got this
    part right) First message was a pseudo reply about trying out the
    console with the obligatory 'if you really need to cheat' in the same
    sentence. That was annoying but I replied politely. Next was from
    Loren simply asking me why I need to cheat. Very helpful that one was.
    Third message was John's. At that point I was annoyed. My response to
    John was childish but I won't apologize for it. I was only giving what
    I was getting at that point.

    >It's not though, because your cheating changes the paladin you are
    >supposedly roleplaying.

    Yeah you said this already. I don't think it has any affect on the
    paladin whatsoever. Not as far as roleplaying goes anyway. I'll try
    one more time. The verbose version this time.

    The paladin is not affected by (as far as role playing goes) what the
    player does 'outside the game'. The paladin must behave like a paladin
    'in the game' and congratulations, you are then role playing. I don't
    steal. I don't accept any cash reward for helping since it is my duty
    to help those in need. I am a paladin, not a hired mercenary. I don't
    do any quest that I think is evil or just plain immoral. (there was
    one quest in chapter one that involved stealing). Now if you think
    that all of that role playing is negated by me hitting ESC, instead of
    OK on the final levelup screen to get more hitpoints, then we have
    reached an impasse.

    Bottom line, I don't recognize the correlation that you make between
    the player and the player character. Even though they are played by
    the same person, they are still two different 'entities'. ( I can't
    think of a better word at the moment.) When I am running around in the
    game doing quests, killing monsters, talking to townsfolk for info,
    etc.. I am the paladin. But when I save, restore, and yes, when I redo
    my hitpoints, I am clearly *not* the paladin anymore. I am now the DM
    'on the outside' in control of the game. Screwing around with my
    hitpoints is just a **game engine** thing which is clearly controlled
    by the DM, not the paladin. :) I *am* cheating. Certainly. But my
    role playing is not diminished in any way whatsoever by doing so.

    Finally, as I said before, but you ignored it, so I will say it
    again... If I didn't make this distinction between player and player
    character, if I treated them as one and the same, then yeah, cheating
    would violate the roleplaying. No doubt about it. But what happens
    when I play a character alignment that obviously would not care one
    bit about cheating? Wouldn't this mean I can now cheat, and not
    violate any role playing I am engaged in? Wouldn't I *have* to cheat
    to play in character properly? It sounds like to me that this method
    of roleplaying would *legitimize* cheating! You know why you have this
    kind of silliness? It is because you are treating cheating and
    roleplaying as if they somehow are linked or correlate to each other
    in some way. I don't see it. And as far as my hitpoint rerolling goes,
    I am *more* convinced now more then ever that there is no relation
    between the two whatsoever.

    <<rest snipped, screw it, I typed enough>>
  41. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 18:19:55 GMT, Central Scrutinizer
    <tdyl@blueyonderthepiss.co.uk> wrote:

    >At least we won't see him online as he wouldn't be able to "re-roll" his
    >HP on LUp. At least there is a plus-side to this thread :)

    This thread is alive and kicking, unlike every other thread currently
    in the newsgroup. That is the plus side to this thread.
  42. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    <snip>

    > This thread is alive and kicking, unlike every other thread currently
    > in the newsgroup. That is the plus side to this thread.

    Hardly.
    Many things are "alive and kicking" ... that doesn't mean by default
    that it has merit.

    --
    ----------
    DS

    As we passed on
    it seemed as if those scenes
    of visionary enchantment
    would never have an end.

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  43. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 03:30:29 GMT, "Dawnseeker"
    <nospam_dawnseeker3@excite.com> wrote:

    >Hardly.
    >Many things are "alive and kicking" ... that doesn't mean by default
    >that it has merit.

    Merit or no, the plus side is you are getting something to read,
    anything to read, in this otherwise dead group. And you *are* reading.
  44. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Mike S." <mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > I cant not believe I am actually redoing my HP each level-up until I
    > get max. Haven't done that in quite some time in Baldur's Gate thanks
    > to the Ease of Use Mod. Is there something similar for Neverwinter
    > Nights that would work with the official Bioware campaign? Thanks.

    You're a dick
  45. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 20:25:04 +0200, Arne Steffens
    > <news.15.wackelzahn@spamgourmet.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Mike S. schrieb:
    > >> I cant not believe I am actually redoing my HP each level-up until I
    > >> get max. Haven't done that in quite some time in Baldur's Gate thanks
    > >> to the Ease of Use Mod. Is there something similar for Neverwinter
    > >> Nights that would work with the official Bioware campaign? Thanks.
    > >
    > >If you want to cheat, why not use the console?
    >
    > This isn't a bad idea actually. I had forgotten the game even has one
    > that is readily accessible.
    >
    > >PS: I think you could beat the game with ease without max hitpoint at
    > >lvl up.
    >
    > I don't think anyone ever used the max HP on level up in Baldur's Gate
    > because they thought the game was too hard otherwise.

    You're a dick
  46. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:50:42 -0400, John Salerno
    > <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I can't believe you find the game so hard that you must do this.
    >
    > This coming from the guy who has to post one hundred times to get
    > advice over every little thing. In this game and in Baldur's Gate.

    You're a dick.
  47. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > On Fri, 20 May 2005 22:02:08 GMT, Central Scrutinizer
    > <tdyl@blueyonderthepiss.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > >John,
    > >Don't bite on this flamebait.
    >
    > I want to know if a certain mod exists for this game that I did make a
    > reasonable search for myself first. Instead of a simple yes or no, I
    > get everything from the evils of cheating to John's message of how
    > inadequate I am at playing this game! And you have the nerve to tell
    > me that *I* am flamebaiting? Sorry, but the messages are right there
    > in black and white electrons for anyone to see.
    >
    > > He seems to be someone who prolly never
    > >played P&P D&D
    >
    > So? What does that have to do with anything?
    >
    > >and just wants an easy way to play all the campaigns
    > >available to us, without having to actually role-play and accept the
    > >consequences.
    >
    > The very first character I always play is a paladin. I choose every
    > option that I think he would choose, even when it means not accepting
    > money for completing a quest. I never even loot the damn houses
    > despite the fact there is no penalty for doing so. That right there
    > is more roleplaying then most people reading this very message engage
    > in. At the exact same time, I was getting bored at redoing my levels
    > until I got decent HP. Harmless really. I thought so anyway. :)

    You're a dick.
  48. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > On Sun, 22 May 2005 13:47:15 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Quite a bit actually. See the whole d12 thing on level up is
    > >simulating YOU ROLLING A 12 sided dice.
    >
    > I don't care one bit if its supposed to ME ROLLING a die or not.
    >
    > I. Just. Don't. Care. <shrug>
    >
    > >You want to cheat, that's all.
    >
    > Umm, yes? What about it Xocyll? So? I don't think I ever rationalized
    > rerolling my HP. I just want to. Period. End of discussion. It is a
    > non issue for me. It is amazing how bent out shape some of you get. It
    > isn't important. Move on.

    You're a dick.
  49. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:04:02 +0300, vellu <velimala@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Xocyll did have a good point however about game balance. The official
    > >campaigns atleast are designed to be playable with an "average"
    > >character. Maxxing out preferences will make the game very easy to play.
    > >For some (like yourself, I would imagine) this is not a problem. But me,
    > >and the "roleplaying" people feel that this will take out quite a bit of
    > >the fun from the game. Not to mention indeed ruin the "natural"
    > >development of the character. Not everyone is supposed to be a
    > >"superman"... Try playing with a weakling character sometime. Requires a
    > >completely different gaming strategy, and imo can even be more fun.
    >
    > You see, you are making the same mistake that Xocyll is making. He
    > mentioned how could a roleplaying paladin powergame his HP? I
    > scratched my head at that particular comment and decided not to
    > respond to it because I honestly had no idea what he was talking
    > about. It only occurred to me later that he believed that doing _any_
    > kind of powergaming negates roleplaying, which to put it bluntly, is
    > bullshit.

    You're a dick.

Games Hewlett Packard Video Games