slow login

Hi! guys,

my problem is this..we have a w2k server 2000 and 5 client running w2k pro..
when the other client login its very slow its almost 20 mints before he
going to desktop..but the other client its working fine..and their is no
error in my events log. any idea guys??

Many thanks,

Joey
2 answers Last reply
More about slow login

    What elase is this client doing at login? Mapping
    shares? Does it matter what user account is used on the
    machine? Are all computers on the equivelant network
    connection; ie same LAN or are any over an extended
    WAN/VPN/Dialup connection?

    If the same user at the same network connection has a 20
    minute difference, then you've got something likely very
    messed up in the network settings or perhaps just need to
    defrag that slow client.

    First make sure that the problem computer is configured to point to only the domain
    controller as it's preferred dns server in tcp/ip properties and never an entry for
    ISP dns servers on any W2K domain computer.

    Also look in Event Viewer for any pertinent error messages and make sure the built in
    ICF firewall is disabled for LAN access. Check basic connectivity to domain
    controller by pinging it by it's fully qualified domain name and run netdiag from the
    support tools looking for any failed tests, etc that may help pinpoint the
    roblem. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q301/4/23.ASP&NoWebContent=1

    "joey" <joeybolina@cyber-dynamics.com> wrote in message
    > Hi! guys,
    >
    > my problem is this..we have a w2k server 2000 and 5 client running w2k pro..
    > when the other client login its very slow its almost 20 mints before he
    > going to desktop..but the other client its working fine..and their is no
    > error in my events log. any idea guys??
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >

    > Joey

Security Login Microsoft Windows