slow login

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
July 13, 2004 6:13:37 PM

Hi! guys,

my problem is this..we have a w2k server 2000 and 5 client running w2k pro..
when the other client login its very slow its almost 20 mints before he
going to desktop..but the other client its working fine..and their is no
error in my events log. any idea guys??

Many thanks,

Joey

More about : slow login

July 13, 2004 6:13:38 PM

What elase is this client doing at login? Mapping
shares? Does it matter what user account is used on the
machine? Are all computers on the equivelant network
connection; ie same LAN or are any over an extended
WAN/VPN/Dialup connection?

If the same user at the same network connection has a 20
minute difference, then you've got something likely very
messed up in the network settings or perhaps just need to
defrag that slow client.

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
July 13, 2004 8:39:47 PM

First make sure that the problem computer is configured to point to only the domain
controller as it's preferred dns server in tcp/ip properties and never an entry for
ISP dns servers on any W2K domain computer.

Also look in Event Viewer for any pertinent error messages and make sure the built in
ICF firewall is disabled for LAN access. Check basic connectivity to domain
controller by pinging it by it's fully qualified domain name and run netdiag from the
support tools looking for any failed tests, etc that may help pinpoint the
roblem. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://s...

!