blackdeath87

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Hello everyone. I am going to be upgrading my computer soon and I need some recimendations on power supplies. I am going to have the intel quad-core QX6700 and a geforce 8800GTX. I will probably be using a 680i motherboard that will have a soundblaster x-fi on it. I dont know a whole lot about PSU's so i was just looking for some recomendations. Thank you all for your time.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I would get this psu, more then enough power for an 8800gtx and you have ample room to oc. If you dont mind spending another $20 this psu, it has enough power for dual 8800gtx's in SLI and a fairly high oc.

If you are only planning on using a single 8800GTX then a good PSU with about 34 amps on the 12v rails should be good enough as mpilchfamily has stated.

I recommend the Seasonic S12 500. This is the PSU I personally use. It is very stable and very quiet too. This particlular unit has 33 amps on the 12v rail, but that is more than enough to power your system.

If you are looking for higher wattages then you look at other Seasonic PSUs. But there are other PSUs you should consider as well. apt403 provided a link to the PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 PSU, not sure how quiet it compared to the Seasonic S12 series though. Corsair has a line of PSUs you may want to consider such as the CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX which is also made by Seasonic and are very quiet too. You can also opt for the OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI PSU as well.