Unable to install printers

When I click on "add a printer" I get a message "operation could not be
completed". If I click on "Add hardware" icon in control panel, nothing
happens. If I go into computer management and select device manager, there
are no devices.

I need to install a printer. This is a recent xp install and I am quite
puzzeled.

Jerry

Try running the system file checker to repair any corrupted files. Go to
Start>Run and type in the Open box:
sfc /scannow
Don't forget the space before /.

"=?Utf-8?B?Y2xlYW5jaHV0ZXM=?=" <cleanchutes@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in news:EE0EDEA1-D3D8-40C5-9DE1-4A0A614B686F@microsoft.com:

> When I click on "add a printer" I get a message "operation could not
> be completed". If I click on "Add hardware" icon in control panel,
> nothing happens. If I go into computer management and select device
> manager, there are no devices.
>
> I need to install a printer. This is a recent xp install and I am
> quite puzzeled.
>
> Jerry

if its a local usb printer, you usually install the software that came with
it, then plug it into the usb port.

Since nobody else has asked it, here's the obvious question. Are
you logged on with an account that has administrative privileges?

--
Nepatsfan