What good is restore, if it won't?

Restore hangs, on the screen that says it's gathering data, will take a few
moments. I'm using XP Pro SP1. I just downloaded and installed "Folder
Size Shell Extension v3.2" as recommended by and pointed to by PC World mag.
It did a great job at the drive level, but properties stopped working for
folders, so I did an "uninstall" using "add and remove programs". It did
not go away. Thus my attempt to "restore". Could this be my problem? I've
run Norton security 2005 virus scan and up-to-date Ad-aware - no problems.
I just downloaded all recommended critical updates. Help me please??? Paul

"I'm using XP Pro SP1"
"I just downloaded all recommended critical updates."
All except SP2...
"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
> Restore hangs, on the screen that says it's gathering data, will take a
> few
> moments. I'm using XP Pro SP1. I just downloaded and installed "Folder
> Size Shell Extension v3.2" as recommended by and pointed to by PC World
> mag.
> It did a great job at the drive level, but properties stopped working for
> folders, so I did an "uninstall" using "add and remove programs". It did
> not go away. Thus my attempt to "restore". Could this be my problem?
> I've
> run Norton security 2005 virus scan and up-to-date Ad-aware - no problems.
> I just downloaded all recommended critical updates. Help me please???
> Paul

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
> Restore hangs, on the screen that says it's gathering data, will take a
> few
> moments. I'm using XP Pro SP1. I just downloaded and installed "Folder
> Size Shell Extension v3.2" as recommended by and pointed to by PC World
> mag.
> It did a great job at the drive level, but properties stopped working for
> folders, so I did an "uninstall" using "add and remove programs". It did
> not go away. Thus my attempt to "restore". Could this be my problem?
> I've
> run Norton security 2005 virus scan and up-to-date Ad-aware - no problems.
> I just downloaded all recommended critical updates. Help me please???
> Paul

It's possible that your System Restore points have been corrupted, by either
the program you installed/uninstalled, or Norton's did it. In any event; if
you are not having any system problems other than the ability to do a
restore, turn off SR, then turn it back on. This will delete any of the
restore files, including what may have been corrupted. See if you can
restore to the newly created point when you turn it back on.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If he has problems with SR, and he didn't until he installed/uninstalled
another program, what difference would having SP2 make as to prevent this
from occurring?

"Chuck Davis" <newsgroup at anthemwebs dot com> wrote in message
> "I'm using XP Pro SP1"
> "I just downloaded all recommended critical updates."
> All except SP2...
> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>> Restore hangs, on the screen that says it's gathering data, will take a
>> few
>> moments. I'm using XP Pro SP1. I just downloaded and installed "Folder
>> Size Shell Extension v3.2" as recommended by and pointed to by PC World
>> mag.
>> It did a great job at the drive level, but properties stopped working for
>> folders, so I did an "uninstall" using "add and remove programs". It did
>> not go away. Thus my attempt to "restore". Could this be my problem?
>> I've
>> run Norton security 2005 virus scan and up-to-date Ad-aware - no
>> problems.
>> I just downloaded all recommended critical updates. Help me please???
>> Paul

johnf

Dump Norton & clean out any Registry & Explorer references to it. It appears
recently to cause continuous apparently unrelated problems.
If it clears the problem, find another AV, otherwise, reinstall it.

--

johnf

> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>> Restore hangs, on the screen that says it's gathering data, will take a
>> few
>> moments. I'm using XP Pro SP1. I just downloaded and installed
>> "Folder Size Shell Extension v3.2" as recommended by and pointed to by
>> PC World mag.
>> It did a great job at the drive level, but properties stopped working
>> for folders, so I did an "uninstall" using "add and remove programs". It
>> did not go away. Thus my attempt to "restore". Could this be my
>> problem? I've
>> run Norton security 2005 virus scan and up-to-date Ad-aware - no
>> problems. I just downloaded all recommended critical updates. Help me
>> please??? Paul
>>

> It's possible that your System Restore points have been corrupted, by
> either the program you installed/uninstalled, or Norton's did it. In
> any event; if you are not having any system problems other than the
> ability to do a restore, turn off SR, then turn it back on. This will
> delete any of the restore files, including what may have been
> corrupted. See if you can restore to the newly created point when you
> turn it back on.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

While I agree with you on anything Norton's, he was specific when he said
the restore problem began after he installed another program, then
uninstalled it when it caused folder properties problems.

It is obvious he didn't have these problems before (and while he had
Norton's) the program he mentioned.

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
> Dump Norton & clean out any Registry & Explorer references to it. It
> appears recently to cause continuous apparently unrelated problems.
> If it clears the problem, find another AV, otherwise, reinstall it.
>
> --
>
> johnf
>
>> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>>> Restore hangs, on the screen that says it's gathering data, will take a
>>> few
>>> moments. I'm using XP Pro SP1. I just downloaded and installed
>>> "Folder Size Shell Extension v3.2" as recommended by and pointed to by
>>> PC World mag.
>>> It did a great job at the drive level, but properties stopped working
>>> for folders, so I did an "uninstall" using "add and remove programs". It
>>> did not go away. Thus my attempt to "restore". Could this be my
>>> problem? I've
>>> run Norton security 2005 virus scan and up-to-date Ad-aware - no
>>> problems. I just downloaded all recommended critical updates. Help me
>>> please??? Paul
>>>

>> It's possible that your System Restore points have been corrupted, by
>> either the program you installed/uninstalled, or Norton's did it. In
>> any event; if you are not having any system problems other than the
>> ability to do a restore, turn off SR, then turn it back on. This will
>> delete any of the restore files, including what may have been
>> corrupted. See if you can restore to the newly created point when you
>> turn it back on.

I have had some strange occurrences since I installed Norton. Nothing I can
pin down now. And it did clear up a problem I've been plagued with for a
couple months. I've been nervous about doing the SP2 thing - too many
horror stories. You suggested I throw away all my old restore points. Then
how can I go back to before I put the possibly bad program in? But thank
y'all for the help so far. I guess I'll try the "remove Norton" thing.
Except cleaning out the registry and explorer references to it are beyond my
humble abilities. Paul

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
While I agree with you on anything Norton's, he was specific when he said
the restore problem began after he installed another program, then
uninstalled it when it caused folder properties problems.

It is obvious he didn't have these problems before (and while he had
Norton's) the program he mentioned.

"johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
Dump Norton & clean out any Registry & Explorer references to it. It
appears recently to cause continuous apparently unrelated problems.
If it clears the problem, find another AV, otherwise, reinstall it.

johnf

[snip]

johnf

Because in my experience, Norton gradually links to other programs over a
period of time & takes control of them to a certain degree,
Possibly installing a program from a PC Mag CD caused the corruption - which
is something I'd never do, therefore in retrospect, I'd use my instructions
for removing that program, then if still unsuccessful, remove Norton & see
what happens.

--

johnf

> While I agree with you on anything Norton's, he was specific when he
> said the restore problem began after he installed another program, then
> uninstalled it when it caused folder properties problems.
>
> It is obvious he didn't have these problems before (and while he had
> Norton's) the program he mentioned.
>
> "johnf" <john_f@bigpond.net.a> wrote in message
>> Dump Norton & clean out any Registry & Explorer references to it. It
>> appears recently to cause continuous apparently unrelated problems.
>> If it clears the problem, find another AV, otherwise, reinstall it.
>>
>> --
>>
>> johnf
>>
>>> "Paul H" <NoSpamphobergNoSpam@att.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> It's possible that your System Restore points have been corrupted, by
>>> either the program you installed/uninstalled, or Norton's did it. In
>>> any event; if you are not having any system problems other than the
>>> ability to do a restore, turn off SR, then turn it back on. This will
>>> delete any of the restore files, including what may have been
>>> corrupted. See if you can restore to the newly created point when you
>>> turn it back on.

johnf

It's not really that hard.
First back up your whole Registry to the Desktop (which can be restored at a
later date simply by double-clicking on it),

Go to Add/Remove programs & remove every reference to Norton.
Search your complete "C" drive or whichever drive contains your OS & delete
every folder/file referring to Norton.

Do a complete Registry search for Norton & delete every entry you find.
There are finer points to cleaning it out completely, but that should be
sufficient.

--

johnf